looking for a work term

3dee3

Nov 11, 2007
Hello, myself and a friend are looking to do a 4 week voluteer work term at a resort in Punta Cana. We are taking a Travel, Tourism and Hospitality course currently in Nova Scotia, Canada and we are required to do a work term at the end of our course.This will take place the month of December and it just to get some experience before graduating. We plan on working at a resort when we are finished so this would be an amazing opportunity for us. Since we are currently in Canada it is very difficult to get into contact with any resorts or general managers of resorts, If anyone can help us out with any contacts or information that would be wonderful!
You can email me at danielle_stuart_03@hotmail.com
Thank you

Last edited:

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
hi

Why do you want to come here to the Dominican Repbulic to do your hours? Isn't it a requirement to do placement hours, and I believe it's about 120, to graduate? Do you speak Spanish? Do you know that the resort workers put in about 15 hours a day here?
Have you really thought this through? Is the experience that you may get here going to help you if you intend to work in Canada? It's not all fun and games in this country. Or are you thinking it's a great way to get your hours and sun/fun at the same time.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
What do you think

Why do you want to come here to the Dominican Repbulic to do your hours? It's not all fun and games in this country. Or are you thinking it's a great way to get your hours and sun/fun at the same time.

needs to be done in December. lives in Nova Scotia. Makes sense to me.

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
needs to be done in December. lives in Nova Scotia. Makes sense to me.

Yeah, early 20's chicas that want an "adventure".
Wait!!!!.....
they can get a bonus and "fall in love", travel back and forth, accumalate more debt etc.....

3dee3

Nov 11, 2007
Ok so we want to do our work term in DR because its an experience! We lived in Canada our whole lives and we want a change, we dont even want to work in Canada when we are finished school thats why we want to do it in DR. Ive been to DR many many times and ive seen the life outside of the resort I know what its like and i am fine with it. We love the country and the people, we are hard workers so the amount of hours a day doesnt bother us, like I said it an experience ,if we like it, then we'll stay if not then at least we tried it! AND as for "falling in love" haha i know how the men are and im not interested at all in finding love, I would never move to another country for a man or stay in a country because of a man i live my life for me and this is something that i have been considering for a long time.

mariko

May 27, 2009
im new to this forum and i know this post or discussion or whatever was like way earlier this month, but i cant help but ask why ybonabeach was so unnecessarily rude. the girl said nothing about "falling in love" and you knew nothing about her finances or her life or her so why would you go on to speculate? i'm sorry but that was, like i said, unnecessarily rude

Banessa

May 28, 2009
Girls,
I my self have graduated from college in Toronto. I went toschool for travel and Tourism. I have worked with an Amazing travel agency for a year now, we specialize in grad trips for Canadian high School, Students.

I'm also looking for work in the DR. travel related or not. I love the country, and like yourselves, ive live din Canada my whole life..ive seen many places around the world, but i am ready to start a new life and new experiences somewhere else.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
You're not gonna make any money but that's cool, because it's not your goal. Your goal (I presume?) is to log 120 hours (hell that's less than a month), get a tan, drink some rum, eat rice and beans and dance some Merengue in the Carribbean while you do it. Makes sense to me!!

I'm not clicked into the resort/tourism scene but I'd find the website for the DR Ministry of Tourism and email them about internships, then do a google search for hotels, then email the hotels directly offering your services directly.

Don't speak fluid Spanish? I'd think (?) there'd be someplace for a low paid Canadian gal to help w/ English speaking customers during peak tourism season? Don't get discouraged, keep looking...My .02.

I know if I were an English speaking tourist this December I'd be thrilled to find a young English speaking gal that could help make sure my kids had a blast at the pool or something while my wife and I spent time some vacation time together.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
If my memory serves me correctly, ybonabeach lives in the DR and I guess is trying to give some "realistic" insight to people who have only ever vacationed in the DR. Now living and working in a foreign country versus vacationing there are 2 very different things and perhaps more so for 2 young ladies in the DR;).

When soliciting advice here, one can be selective about whose advice one follows but some people hate to hear the truth and then come back here with sob stories once they find something out the hard way.