Boca Chica - metal detecting treasure hunting

dagui00

Apr 5, 2009
anybody do any underwater metal detecting in boca chica , the bay looks perfect for this , i have done a lot all over the world, just wondering what kind of trinkets might be found, just curious is all , wondering if i should bring my detector with me
thanks
dan

Campesino

May 18, 2002
Metal Detecting

I would bring it along, dont expect to find much. I have done this several times, mostly after big holiday weekends, Semana Santa etc. when the beaches were packed. I found lots of hotel keys, bullets, and enough coins to pay for the detectors batteries and buy a cold beer after. It was a lot of fun. Dont be surprised when you get a few locals and hotel security guards crowd around to see what your digging for, they even helped dig too. I never checked in the water, but you see a lot of guys snokerling every Mon. morning, they find some jewlery. All in all its a lot of fun, you should have no problems from anyone, I never did. Good luck.

Campesino...:pirate:

Stuart Polkinghorne

Nov 13, 2008
I think the last reply is off the mark, I don't think their are after hotel keys and loose change. I have been told there is a old shipwreck of La Caleta, it has been very much explored and is dived a lot. Might be worth a dive in the area after a storm but as I have been told it has had a large scale survey done in the area already. You never know?
Good luck and keep us posted if you find anything.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i would think it would be a great spot for searching. No great treasure...but i cant tell you how many times i have lost a ring or necklace while swimming there. I would also think that hunting around Matica (the mangrove ilsa) might turn some stuff up. Just wear some protective swimming/diving shoes as there is a lot of glass and stuff out there