Electrical Work

Nov 25, 2008
first off do you know the language, maybe you can find work for a hotel resort in maintenance; if language is not a problem
then again you can open your own services and have a helper with you for the translation
good luck

fergym2007

May 5, 2009
Thanks for the info....sounds like your better off to start up your own electrical construction/service buisness if you can with a helper from the DR...wich I would anyway.:pirate:

fergym2007

May 5, 2009
Cheap labor

How hard would it be for a canadian electrician with 25 years exp to find work in the DR.

Correct me please if I'm wrong. Just to answer on mans advice to me. But wouldn't the motels just hire cheap labor down there to do there maintanance.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Years ago, I would have said that there might be something for you here with the free zones booming and construction going on all over the place.

However, at the present time, I honestly cannot recommend any such move.

HB

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Other side of this

He can find lots of work, IF he is willing to work for wages substantially lower than what he earns now.

But for the "what it's worth" department, local electricians charge a lot more than most people expect.

If I needed work done, and knew that I could hire somebody to do it correct the first time, and have all their own tools, material so I did not have to pay up front, and loan the tools I would be willing to pay a little more just to save the hassle of having it redone.

Imagine electrical that correct here. grounded and everything. wow would be nice to see somebody show up in a truck, instead of a moto.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
the OP PM'ed me the same question and I replied, then found this thread, here is my reply to him f or the benefit of everyone else:

Not sure what to tell you man.

I know another Canadian electrician that moved down here and after a few months trying to make it as an electrician he opened a restaurant instead. Haven't heard from him since and have no idea how it went. Knowing the statistics for the local restaurant industry there isn't much chance he's still around.

I do not envy any local electricians. Sure they suck but you get what you pay for, and I don't know if there is any chance a good electrician who charges according to his skills would be able to find work.

Usually its the guys with an engineering degree who get to bill the big bucks, and they never get their hands dirty, just hire a low paid electrician and swing by a couple times to inspect the work.

All that to say I have no idea how it would go for you.