Friends of the Animals need your help!

cork

Aug 23, 2003
It is time to ask for your help!

La Asociaci?n de Amigos por los Animales de Sos?a, (Friends of the Animals) spayed or neutered 618 dogs and cats in 2008. So far in 2009 the AAAS has sterilized an additional 78 animals. These are the animals we see on the street everyday here in Sos?a and Cabarete. The AAAS was able to do these surgeries due to volunteer veterinarians who paid their own way down here to work while on ?vacation?. Bless each and every one of them.

Starting May 11, 2 vets from Germany will be here to sterilize as many street dogs and cats as we can gather up. Week 1 they will do as many Sos?a street dogs/cats as we can. Week 2 and 3 they will concentrate on all the animals in La Uni?n and Villa Liberaci?n. These dogs and cats are un-owned animals roaming the streets. The Association also sterilizes animals upon the request of their Dominican or Haitian owners who do not have the means to have the surgery done by local vets. An additional vet from the US will be here at the end of May, and another from Canada will be here for 2 weeks in June. To this end we need your help.

First, the AAAS needs your help as a volunteer. They offer long hours and hard work in return for an occasional snack, meeting new friends and the feeling of pride that you truly helped our animal friends. There are positions in surgery, pre-op, post- op, transportation and community outreach.

Second, the AAAS needs supplies. Things like paper towels, laundry and dish soap, old towels for bedding, bleach, bottled water and canned food for cats or dogs. If you have any new or used dog/cat carriers that you no longer need, the AAAS can use them to allow animals a confined place to recover and to ship newly adopted pets home.

Third, if you own a local business, consider donating a little of your product. Do you have a bar or restaurant, maybe a dinner or drink for the vets. Have an apartment that is un-used? Allow the visiting vets to stay there for a week, if it is not booked. Car rental, tour service, dive shop, the possibilities are endless. AAAS will advertise for your business on the AAAS website in return for your donations.

Fourth, they have an over abundance of animals dropped off on the door step. These dogs and cats would make wonderful pets for caring folks like you all. The Association does not have a shelter, so all the un-wanted animals are housed at Judy?s Pet Lodge. These animals reduce the number of pens available for her business. To remedy this, all of us need to adopt some animals. Several of us have adopted to the max, much to the chagrin of our neighbors. If you have the love in your heart for another dog or cat, please stop by and see Judy. All adoptions include vaccinations and spay/neutering. Any adoption fees go to the costs involved in medicating and housing that animal. If you are unable to make a long term commitment for adoption, apply to become a foster caregiver. If you can give an animal a temporary home, the AAAS provides for the animal?s medical needs. The little dog or cat gets to run and play in a yard while waiting for a permanent home.

Lastly, the AAAS needs money. Medications and surgery supplies are expensive. The AAAS asks for little if any from the animal owners so the rest comes from donations. Have a little extra this month? Take $20 to Judy?s for the AAAS. Go to the website Asociaci?n De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sos?a, Inc.and follow the links to donate through Paypal. A gift of 20 dollars or Euros would help greatly. Go to causes on ?Facebook? and search for AAAS. Join the cause and donate there. If you are in the US, your donation is tax deductible, as they are a 503(c) not for profit. Just a reminder that the only wages paid at the AAAS is for a part time maid and a part time handler. Everyone else volunteers their time. Your donations go directly to the animals!

PM me if you need phone numbers or to schedule a pick up.

Pansy

Banned
Apr 14, 2009
Is there a telephone number you can post on this thread so we could ring to make offers? Thank you

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Huge amount of help and commitment required to make this a truly successful project so am sure lots more people will want to get involved for the benefit of the animals on the North coast.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
The work that AAAS, Judy and friends has done HAS made a difference!

Not only for the animals; but animal owners, communities and the general health of the Dominican Republic.

Thanks, Ringo

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I donated rd$ 200 by buying a choke chain- they have a better selection than the vets on the highway - a small amount but every little helps

cork

Aug 23, 2003
Donations

Just an update on donations. The Friends of the Animals have received several donations that are truly remarkable.

Sosua by the Sea Hotel made a wonderful donation, without which, would make life harder on the visiting vets. SOSUA BY THE SEA, the finest hotel on the beach in Sosua Dominican Republic

Bruce and Cary graciously donated a week in their B&B for The visiting vets and another week fo a vet arriving at the end of May from the US.
www.villasamia.com

Judy at Las Canas deserves the thanks of our entire Association.

Elvira and Maria at I-Language School have donated so much time and effort with translations and correspondance with the Government. Thank you seems so small.

Remo at Paraiso del Colon, your offer is very generous. We look forward to a long relationship.

Until next time, thanks to all, you are all truly generous people.

cork

Aug 23, 2003
Just an update

The results of the "Friends of the Animals" project La Union areas follows;

For the 3 week period 231 spays/neuters and 61 operations on animals for ailments ranging from injuries due to car accidents to cancer. An additional 400 were treated for parasites.

Year to date 309 spays/neuters

Thank you for your support.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Th 2nd Annual N. Coast Charity Classic will have 50% of donations headed to the AAAS. I'm assuming Judy or Tom have told you that? The other 50% to Sosua Kids.

dominicanrep

Apr 20, 2007

For the 3 week period 231 spays/neuters and 61 operations on animals for ailments ranging from injuries due to car accidents to cancer. An additional 400 were treated for parasites.

Very great project! I myself brought 6 dominican street dogs (bitches) to Dr. de la Cruz for castration since I live here. I paid all by myself. I have asked Dr. Bob what the price would be for a castration of street dogs but he told me that the price is the same for all dogs (doesn't matter if its your own dog or a street dog).

There are more street dogs in my neighborhood which should be spayed, do you think it would be possible to get a special price?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006

A truly remarkable success story for AAAS - long may it continue.