Breezes (POP) Closes it doors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Breezes (POP) Closes it doors...

Its official Breezes closed its doors today May 05/09. leaving many long term employees unemployed.

They claim that they will reopen again in three or four months without the "BREEZES" logo
under the old name of Sol De Plata.

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
ripped off

I have a rci membership with this resort that is out of business and I can see I lost everything.........Do I have a legal recourse?

Last edited:

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I have a rci membership with this resort that is out of business and I can see I lost everything.........Do I have a legal recourse?

I suggest you contact RCI directly. We have a membership with them too (RC I) and have never actually used it at the hotel we bought at or even in the country of purchase. Was it specific perhaps to their "vacation club" ?

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
vacation club

No I bought RCI weeks through them but the way rci works is your resort has to replace the weeks that you use for toher people around the world and now that can not happen. This resort Breezes Punta Cana and now they are closing down a very old resort in Sousa. So what I bought means nothing now.:pirate:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
BigDaddy,

I think you are a little premature. The OP claims, and everything I have read seems to indicate, that the resort plans to reopen after some period of months being closed, under a new name. Presumably their obligations will follow that opening date and name. If they do not reopen, then I believe your current statements will be appropriate, at that time.

Just my opinion.

Gregg

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
BigDaddy,

I think you are a little premature. The OP claims, and everything I have read seems to indicate, that the resort plans to reopen after some period of months being closed, under a new name. Presumably their obligations will follow that opening date and name. If they do not reopen, then I believe your current statements will be appropriate, at that time.

Just my opinion.

Gregg
Absolutely correct FireGuy..... Sol De Plata will reopen again (Formally Breezes) and as I understand all employees will be invited back to work...

As for the Vacation Club the office is still open to service all their questions and bookings, members are temporally being redirected to other resorts over the summer months while they are refurbishing the Hotel.

When the Hotel reopens the Vacation Club will operate as usual under the name of Sol De Plata as they did before Breezes and all members are invited back.

Carolina Guy

Feb 26, 2009
before we saw the light and rented a condo/villa on the North Coast, Breezes was one of two places we were considering. would not have been happy at all! I wonder what they would have done for us had we decided on them??

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I received the following message from SuperClubs, informing me of their separation from the resort in Puerto Plata, D.R., Effective April 19, 2009, Breezes Puerto Plata will no longer be affiliated with SuperClubs Resorts. The resort is going to be closed until approximately November or December and will then reopen under a new name. We have provided a choice of hotel options to transfer to your existing reservation They are: All Inclusive Viva Wyndham Playa Dorada in the Dominican Republic All Inclusive Blue Bay Villas Doradas in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic All Inclusive Barcelo Puerto Plata in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic All Inclusive Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort & Spa in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic All Inclusive Sun Village Resort in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic All these hotels may be viewed on Tripadviser.com Please select one of the hotel options offered here. We are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

osanhopps

Aug 19, 2007
Hello everyone. As a timeshare sales executive, I might be able to answer some of your questions. It depends on what you purchased. First, if you bought a week at Breezes you do not have a week to exchange, in some cases the new owners might honor your contract (but remember when they do this they lose money) or they might ask you to purchase their new vacation club. If you purchased points and are a member of RCI. RCI should honor you points for the life of your contract. I suggest that you contact RCI directly and let them know what you have. See if they will transfer your contract to RCI (in some cases they do). Were you are just a RCI member. Which is a better deal. RCI would rather keep you as a member then give you back money (which is hard to get away). Just be prepared for a negotiation. Understand this coming away with something is better than coming away with nothing!

JBC

Jun 5, 2009
Just called Breezes Puerto Plata and RCI

I called yesterday and have been trying to get someone from Breezes to deposit my RCI weeks for the last 5 weeks. No one has been able to help me, nor did they tell me the resort was closed when I called. I haven't had any reply to several emails to their VIP club. After reading that they closed May 1st, I immediately called RCI. They said they are no longer affiliated with Breezes/Sol de PLata and that I had to get in touch with the resort to try to get my money back.

On March 27, 2009 Breezes Puerto Plata charged my visa $1962.92 for a down payment on a time share. (20% downpayment - we refused to pay it all up from thank goodness!) They told us we would have to wait 6-10 weeks before our RCI membership would be active. As soon as we were able to see that our membership was active online, we tried to make reservations with them. We found out today that they will reopen under the name Sol de Plata. Oddly enough, that was the name they put on our Visa charge in March. So it is apparent that in March of this year, they already knew they were going to close as the ?Breezes SuperClubs? resort, and charged our money to the new company. WHAT A SCAM

Any others experiencing the same thing, or able to get results?

Thanks

osanhopps

Aug 19, 2007
Scam

:disappoinJBC, Breezes did not act in good faith. Nor has RCI! If your contract is with Breezes, but was charged by Sol De Plata, then your contract should be voided. They have to prove that they were working in conjunction at that time. And if they were working together, all parties must honor the agreement. If you were not aware of this (Breeze becoming Sol De Plata), the contract has to be voided. You have to initial that you understand this agreement on every page. First, go to your credit card company and dispute the charge. Let them know that this is not what you have purchased. While you are doing this. Contact the Sol De Plata representative, let them know that you had a agreement with Breezes and not them. And you wish to terminate this agreement because Breezes no longer exist. Contact the Dominican government, because they are very concerned about tourism and would not be happy about these circumstances. Remember your contract is the key. You read it carefully or have a professional read it over for you. Last thing, get in touch with other Breezes owners who have the same problem. The more exposure the better the return!

Grandma Jen

Jan 16, 2008
Approach your credit card company straight away with all the information that you can give them
They should be able to get the money back for you
Good luck

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The DR 1 advises against these types of transactions and while it might be too late to retrieve your losses , you will now be able to offer this advise to others who fall into the ...."Real Estate Trap"

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
A quick question - is this hotel also known as the Puerto Plata Resort? If not, does anyone know where the Puerto Plata Resort is? I can't find it!!

Thanks

Nikki

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Breezes used to be called "Sol de Plata".
There is "Puerto Plata Beach Resort" at the Malecon in Puerto Plata, but not operating like the hotels with A.I.
There is "Puerto Plata Village" in the Playa Dorada Complex, an AI hotel. A "Puerto Plata Resort" does not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.