Visa for Spain with Canadian residency

Santos

Aug 10, 2008
Hi,
My husband wants to apply for a Spanish visa so we can attend a family wedding in August, he's a permanent resident in Canada, and I'm a Canadian Citizen, and British Citizen. Does anyone have experience applying for the Schengen Visa from Canada? I did a quick search but couldn't find the requirements or forms.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I believe that just changed

The only way to get to Europe with your husband is through Switzerland. Switzerland is the only country that does not require a visa for DR citizen and will accept them if they are Permanent Resident in Canada. Then you cross your fingers that border controls are laxed and try to get out of Switzerland. You might get lucky, who knows.
Other than that, you have almost no chance to get a visitor visa for Spain for your husband. The paperwork is very heavy.

I read that Switzerland now requires a Schengen visa. If that is incorrect please post otherwise. Please see the article about Switzerland joining the Schengen group:

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7013387424

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I read that Switzerland now requires a Schengen visa. If that is incorrect please post otherwise. Please see the article about Switzerland joining the Schengen group:

Switzerland Joins Schengen Agreement | AHN | May 7, 2009

According to this post that is correct

UPDATE!!!!
Dominican nationals with Valid United States/Canada/United Kingdom/Ireland
Permament Residency Cards are NO LONGER Exempt from obtaining SWISS VISAS before arrival
Switzerland in recent weeks has Joined The Schengen Visa Regimen requiering Dominican Citizens who dont hold a Valid Permament Residency Card to a Schengen Country to Apply for a Swiss Visa before departing their country of residence :ermm:

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
Hey Santos
The Visa for Spain or Any European Visa for a Dominican with Canadian residency is pretty easy to Obtain and if you bring everything that is asked for you will almost for sure Get it.Its a Long List but pretty straightFoward
You will need to submit the Following along with a Xerox Copy

2 Schengen Application forms dully filled out and signed.

2 photos passport size with a white background.

Passport valid for a minimum of three months after the expected visa stay.

Canadian Resident Card or residence visa valid in Canada (except Visitors Visa).

Confirmed reservation of your airline ticket (Round-Trip).

Hotel reservations or notarized invitation issued by the "Polic?a Nacional" in Spain.

Proof of financial status, i.e. a major Credit Card along with the 3 latest statements as well as your latest 3 bank statements.

Travel medical insurance document for Spain with a minimum coverage of €30,000 Euros.

For professional or business trips you must submit an invitation from a company based in Spain, organization to participate in a meeting, convention, fair or congress, etc.
Letter from employer stating your job title, length of time employed and annual salary or other proof of ties with Canada If you are ecomically dependent, the last Tax Return. If you are student, a letter from your school or college.

"Money-Order" to pay the non-refundable visa fee (no personal checks or cash accepted).I dont recall exactly how much the Fee was but its something like 90 something Canadian Dollars but I believe its waived if Youre Married to an EU national..call To confirm this

The Visa is usually issued in 2-7 Business Days and You should apply atleast 15 days before traveling but no more than 90 days.
I have been through this process several times with several Dominican and Other Latino Friends In Canada

Best Of Luck!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: AnnaC

Santos

Aug 10, 2008
Visa Approved!

Hi,
I started this thread looking for info on the visa to Spain. The information posted by JC171 was spot on. The visa was granted in 3 days. The invitation letter from Spain was the only thing that caused a bit of trouble, it took a while and my family had to have an interview. At the interview they needed a copy of the deed to their home as well as a notorized letter from the priest who will be performing the wedding ceremony we were invited to.

We paid the fee in cash. I asked if the fee would be waived based on my British Citizenship, but they said those were only residency visas.

There were no lines or wait at the consulate (Toronto), and they were polite to us.

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
Hi,
I started this thread looking for info on the visa to Spain. The information posted by JC171 was spot on. The visa was granted in 3 days. The invitation letter from Spain was the only thing that caused a bit of trouble, it took a while and my family had to have an interview. At the interview they needed a copy of the deed to their home as well as a notorized letter from the priest who will be performing the wedding ceremony we were invited to.

We paid the fee in cash. I asked if the fee would be waived based on my British Citizenship, but they said those were only residency visas.

There were no lines or wait at the consulate (Toronto), and they were polite to us.

Thanks for the update!Im glad that all went well

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
That's awesome!!!!! Congratulations!!! Have a GREAT time at the wedding!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks for the info JC171.
We now have a definite answer to " how a Dominican citizen with a Canadian PR can apply for a visitor visa to Spain" as well as someone who applied and got it.

Thanks again

Last edited:

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Hi,

Great news. Congrats! I may apply for schengen visa for my wife later this year. We would like to visit spain and maybe Italy. She has US residency, and has been to 11 countries without a problem.
I hope it goes as smoothly.

Feb 7, 2007
Wondering why does Rafael open an 8 year old forgotten thread, and congratulates someone on something that happened back in 2009.