Columbus Water Park Video

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have posted a video on Coluimbus Water Park that I just completed. You can see it at: YouTube - Sosua's Columbus Water Park, Dominican Republic

I hope you enjoy it. I spent a lot of time at the park getting the photos and video clips and enjoyed every minute of it.

After 23 years of living in the DR and almost 10 in Sosua, I finally got to the park. My intention was to get a few photos for another project, but it only took a few minutes for me to get enthused about the possibility of doing a video.

I very much hope that this is not viewed as spam. I was not paid to make the video, have no stock in the park, and made it with the intention of providing a service to the community by publicizing a valuable tourist resource for visitors to this area.

I enjoyed making this video so much that I would like to make others. I'm looking for other places, other activities, that I could do a video on. The provider of the activity benefits by getting some publicity, but the more we make visitors and potential visitors aware of the activities offered on the North Coast all benefit.

Any suggestions on activities, tours,etc., that I might do a video on will be appreciated.

Reactions: J D Sauser

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
Great video............never would have guessed it had so much in behind those entry walls. I have never been either, how many times I have driven by saying, some day we should go there.

Yes, perhaps the music belongs in a wild west saloon or such.........but excellent video compilation!

Any info on price per person, kids, etc.??? What days they're open??? Or just email them is the best.............thanks for bringing a local attraction to life!!! Sosua local anyway.....

My suggestion is the telef?rico (cable car) ride to the top of Isabela de Torres in Puerto Plata, and the parkland on top for another video.

Last edited:

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Nice video,

Kept expecting Buster Keeton or good ol' Charlie with his bowler and stick to shoot out of the cannons or slides with that background tune!!

Seriously though, well presented and enjoyable; keep it up!

Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the suggestion about the cable car. I rode the car to the top in 1996 and remember to this day how much I enjoyed the park and the view.

I'm sorry that the video quality takes a hit when it goes on YouTube, the quality of the CD is much better.

Regarding the music, I thought peppy music was appropriate for the activity. Yes, there are lots of good videos sold on the street, but I make it a point to look for and make use of royalty-free music. That, plus the download must also be free does limit what is available.

As much time as I have spent in the park recently, I should have the price info at my finger tips. I will get it, however, and post it in the near future.

Thanks for the positive comments.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Here is there phone number
(809) 571-2642

Columbus Aquaparque/Water Park

This waterslide park is located 2 km west of Sosua and is the largest waterslide park in the Caribbean. The park has many different types (levels) of slides, as well as swimming pools, restaurants and shops. The park is generally open from 10:00 am until 5:00 pm daily and occasionally hosts live musical performances on weekends.

Dominican Republic - Columbus Aquapark - the Dominican Republic Vacation Travel Information

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I think it's great the OP posted the video.
I can't count the times I've past by it and at times wondered if it would be worth a visit someday... and kept on driving by.
I had no idea it could be that nice inside! :)

... J-D.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I very much hope that this is not viewed as spam. .... The provider of the activity benefits by getting some publicity, but the more we make visitors and potential visitors aware of the activities offered on the North Coast all benefit.

Any suggestions on activities, tours,etc., that I might do a video on will be appreciated.

Great idea! Awareness is key! I hope it is not viewed as spam as well. Yes all benefit, from taxi drivers, to street food stands and restaurants, etc..
I too never expected it to be as nice inside either. Now I know!
After watching Mr Lu and company video about Las Terrenas I was so impressed I did it myself.
Awareness and honest information of the various activities and natural wonders is needed more on DR1.

Ken my suggestion for your next video is Rio San Juan, the Caves of Cabarete and the Teleferico. And include directions how to get to these places and costs.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, Thandie. The caves of cabarete are new to me, so I will certainly want to look into that. Where are they located?

What in Rio San Juan would make a good video? I have been through on the bus many times, but know nothing about the area.

The teleferico is on my list.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Answers to questions about the admission charge at the water park:

Under 5: free

5-12: RD$240

Adults, including children over 12: RD$350

Taxi from Sosua charges US$10, or about RD$350, one way.

Cheapest way to get there from Sosua is by publico or guagua. Publico charge is RD$20 per person. Take the car with red box on top that goes to Puerto Plata and get off at the park. The park is located next to but just past the building that Caribe Tours has on the highway on the way to Puerto Plata and across from; the big service station.

The guagua charges RD$15 per person.

To get back to Sosua, stand on side of road and flag down a publico or guagua.

I said Friday-Monday in the video, but at least at present it is Friday-Sunday. So plan on going on a weekend.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
thanks, krwilson.

I don't have a car. Can I get to the boat by publico or guagua to Rio San Juan, then walk to the boat?

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
As long as you can get to Rio San Juan it shouldn't be to hard to get to the boats. You could walk for it isn't that far and there are always motos about. I'm not a moto rider too much but would think $50RD tops. If you are heading to RSJ, at the main intersection (if memory serves, it's the only intersection...you'll see) take the road to your left and go straight.........you end up at the boats and the lagoon. This intersection is just before the ESSO (maybe Texaco) gas station on the left.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Hey Ken,

The Gri Gri Lagoons are beautiful. Green, lush and tranquil.
A highly recommended day trip.
The water is crystal clear, like a mirror.
It is less than a 10 minute walk to the boats once you get off on the publico stop.
The boat takes you to 2 small beaches one with a ship wreaked boats and white sculptures of heads and bodies on the cliffs and rocks.
A stop at a big cave. The boat ride tour including stops at the small beaches is about 1 hr.

The Caves in Cabarete...I took the gua gua from Sosua and told the bus driver to let us off at the caves. A Dream Project school is close by.
Sorry I do not rememeber the name of the side street.
If I recall it is about a 15+ minute walk from the main road once you get off of the bus.
You pay a 3 $ entrance fee and can pay a tour guide to take you around or walk around on our own. A lot of vegetation and red earth. A nice tranquil walk/hike. 2hours+.
Caves are spread out and people live in the area. A rural community type feel.
Caves with crystal clear water pools. A bunch of caves and different sizes.
Natural wonders that I wish were promoted more.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, Thandie. I'm going to US for a month in a few days, but will check both out when I get back.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Hey Ken,

The Gri Gri Lagoons are beautiful. Green, lush and tranquil.
A highly recommended day trip.
The water is crystal clear, like a mirror.
It is less than a 10 minute walk to the boats once you get off on the publico stop.
The boat takes you to 2 small beaches one with a ship wreaked boats and white sculptures of heads and bodies on the cliffs and rocks.
A stop at a big cave. The boat ride tour including stops at the small beaches is about 1 hr.

YouTube - Laguna Gri-Gri, Rio San Juan, REPUBLICA DOMINICANA

YouTube - Laguna GriGri

YouTube - video laguna grigri

Laguna Grigri - San Juan on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The Caves in Cabarete...I took the gua gua from Sosua and told the bus driver to let us off at the caves. A Dream Project school is close by.
Sorry I do not rememeber the name of the side street.
If I recall it is about a 15+ minute walk from the main road once you get off of the bus.
You pay a 3 $ entrance fee and can pay a tour guide to take you around or walk around on our own. A lot of vegetation and red earth. A nice tranquil walk/hike. 2hours+.
Caves are spread out and people live in the area. A rural community type feel.
Caves with crystal clear water pools. A bunch of caves and different sizes.
Natural wonders that I wish were promoted more.

YouTube - Cueva Crystal

Cabarete caves on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Matt swimming in the Caves of Cabarete on Flickr - Photo Sharing!