tambien

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
what does it actually mean here in the Dominican Republic. I have a dictionary but the way its used doesnt make sense with the definition - some people seem to use it as a greeting

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
All the Dominicans I know use it to say things as follows:

Yo tambien (me too)
tambien (also)

You might also hear what you think is tambien when actually they are saying Esta bien because they say it fast and shorten it to ta'bien meaning it's all good, or I'm okay, etc.

I'm sure there are other meanings and uses that others can point you to.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I agree with Fiesta Mama. Esta Bien = 'Ta Bien = I'm Good
Tambien = Also

But JR, you're not alone. At first I was also confused... Actually, I am still confused about alot of things in DR.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
How about this one?

"....Que Vina..."

I can't figure out if it's a curse word or not.
I think you mean....que vaina.
It is not a curse word...you can use vaina in place of "cosa" because vaina can mean anything.
I say "Que vaina" alot and also "Deja la vaina" I use alot...that is only because the people that I learned my Spanish from use it alot. And I am an imitator because I did not learn my Spanish from books.
SHALENA

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I worked out 'mano was hermano - i wondered why everyone seemed to have a hand fetish

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It shouldn't be used in polite conversation though, as I learned eventually.

I think you mean....que vaina.
It is not a curse word...you can use vaina in place of "cosa" because vaina can mean anything.
I say "Que vaina" alot and also "Deja la vaina" I use alot...that is only because the people that I learned my Spanish from use it alot. And I am an imitator because I did not learn my Spanish from books.
SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
It shouldn't be used in polite conversation though, as I learned eventually.

That is correct...I use "Deja la vaina!" when I do not want to discuss something anymore or want them to just "drop it" so to speak. Usually if you get to that point, the conversation was not polite to begin with;)
SHALENA

donP

Dec 14, 2008
+ omg

IMHO, using "vaina" (just look it up in a good dictionary what it also means... :cheeky: ) often in speech also reveals a poor command of the language as certain people use it as a substitute for any term.
Same when speakers use "como se llama..." frequently.

And then there are the "ladies" uttering "Aaww mei ghaawdh" every two minutes. :tired:

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
I've been here seven years and when I first came I was totally confused withe esta bien because as previously stated it sounds like tambien the way Dominicans say it. One day I was with a friend and he got a phone call and he must have said esta bien twenty times. When he hung up I asked him why he say "me too" so many times. That's when I had it explained to me. Even now I sometimes still can't tell the difference.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
next question ! Why are there so many words for here and there ........I know the distance thing but there are others as well aqui, ac?,alli all?,aquel,ahi,abajo and how do you know which you are saying if they sound the same

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
next question - how can I know what a word is when only two letters of it are used ie no beginning or end, just the middle -

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
next question - how can I know what a word is when only two letters of it are used ie no beginning or end, just the middle -

you've got to rely on contextual interpretation A LOT in dominican spanish. for example, back to tambien and esta bien... if "me too" doesn't make sense, the speaker is probably saying "esta bien".

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
The word vaina is not necessarily a curse word, but it is a vulgar word and not acceptable among the more educated families (they do not allow their children to use this word). The men use it more freely when they are among other men. A well educated lady will never use this word in a social environment.

Juniper

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I am still not sure of what it means (vaina).

What is the translation? The dictionary says "sheath"..... "Sheath" ???

I know how it can be used and that it is interchangable.

The best I can come up with is an innocently spoken:

"How Sh*tty"
"Damn"
"This sucks"

Status
Not open for further replies.