Jalapenos

Status
Not open for further replies.

North coast newbie

Jul 30, 2006
In Cabarete the former Downwinder restaurant has reopened as Jalapenos?. I ate there tonight. The food was mediocre at best. They charge $130 pesos for a Cuba Libre. They shorted me $50 pesos on my change. Once I pointed it out I was given the correct change but my advice is to STAY AWAY!

gibbs

May 31, 2005
What happened to the Downwinder? Is this a new name or new owners? thanks in advance.

Jan 17, 2009
The owners of the Downwinder went back to Canada last year. Their cousins who I understand own the Martini Bar at Cabarete East Condos have been running the restaurant for a while; they just changed the name and menu. There was a "for sale" sign there for while but I'm not sure it's still there now.

gibbs

May 31, 2005
they actually went back to Seattle Washington....and its still up for sale

Too bad. I was there last March and they had high hopes for the place. They even had a peanut butter burger on the menu...never mind.:ermm:

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
In defense, I ate there and thought everything was pretty good.
Most importantly if you want to see a pro sporting event compare a 3 hour Hockey, Basketball or Football tab to an equal amount of time, food and drinks with a tab at Jose O'Shea's. I guarantee you Jalapeno's will be looking good then !

Carolina Guy

Feb 26, 2009
Too bad. I was there last March and they had high hopes for the place. They even had a peanut butter burger on the menu...never mind.:ermm:

peanut butter burger? I bet they dont go to sleep at night wondering why they are not in business anymore ...

Carolina Guy

Feb 26, 2009
In defense, I ate there and thought everything was pretty good.
Most importantly if you want to see a pro sporting event compare a 3 hour Hockey, Basketball or Football tab to an equal amount of time, food and drinks with a tab at Jose O'Shea's. I guarantee you Jalapeno's will be looking good then !

I'm not following this statement?

Are you saying it is expensive (food and drinks) to go to O'Shea's comparatively speaking, to other joints, and watch a sporting event in Cabarete?

rox1547

Oct 1, 2008
I find Jose's to be one of the most expensive places on the beach, and the service isn't that great either. But then again, where in Cabarete has good service.... however, it's nice to watch some sports on the tv and have a couple of beers, so we still go from time to time.

Back to the topic, Jalapeno's... we went for lunch a few days ago. The food wasn't very good, but the service was better than average.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Ate there yesterday...

and we were the only ones for 1,5 hours. I hope they make it, service, drinks and food are good. I miss the nice sofas though...

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I think that it would be an ideal spot for a real deli offering not only quality sliced meats but fresh deli sandwiches, soups, quality pastries and coffees. It is a really cool place and having something like that in Cabarete would be a God send. For me one of the best places in Cabarete for lunch was La Campagna in the Ocean Dream Plaza. Unfortunately their high prices, (higher than their Santiago store) and the worst customer service led them to closing. It is about time that somebody did something different and adventurous in Cabarete....so long as the prices are not outrageous. People never learn that offering lower prices but still providing quality products, can still lead to large profits. I used to own a bakery/coffee shop, in a small town in Western Canada. Due to our reasonable prices and quality products we were the busiest spot in town, and there were about 10 other coffee shops close to us. We carefully planned our lunches so that the average person that came for lunch, for example a home made soup and a fresh sandwich, were going to leave with their belly's relatively full but not so full that they would not consider having a small dessert. Having your portions set right along with quality food and competitive prices guarantees return customers. The price for a soup and sandwich was $2.25 (in 2003). Obviously I am not comparing Canada to the D.R. as a price like this down here would definitely not work, but if somebody could get a quality soup and sandwich here in Cabarete for lets say 5 bucks, well, one could imagine.
The one problem I found with Downwinds was that their portions were too small...the food was OK, but small portions are not good for business.
We made our money on volume and it sure as hell worked....people looking to make a fast buck here are usually the first ones to close down.
Pesrsonally I would never good into the food business down here. Having to rely on the grocery stores or suppliers having the same stock on a regular basis must be a nightmare....

Carolina Guy

Feb 26, 2009
OK.

while in Cabarete we ate at Jalepeno's. It was lunch and no one was there BUT the food was good. we all had the Chicken Quesadillas and a basket of Jalepeno Poppers as well as four drinks. EVERYTHING was reasonably priced and we enjoyed it.

The owner or owners also own Martini's down at Cabarete East. We ate breakfast there a couple of times as well as dinner. It was good as well.

the folks who didnt like this place or had bad service need to go again. you folks who havent gone, need to. The salsa (at both places) is the best I ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.