Advice required on DR guy I met on holiday

ShygirlUK

May 10, 2009
Hi
I met a DR guy 3 months ago whilst I was on holiday, nothing has happened between us but we have been in contact almost everyday since I have been back in the UK. I have been debating about going back to see him just to see if there is anything truely there between us, but after reading all the posts on this website, I have started to feel like an idiot being sucked into the romance.
The guy was a hotel worker and I am an educated woman with a good career in the UK, should I go back over to see what happens or should I wake up that I am just being played by this guy.

Any advice greatly received.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Hi
I met a DR guy 3 months ago whilst I was on holiday, nothing has happened between us but we have been in contact almost everyday since I have been back in the UK. I have been debating about going back to see him just to see if there is anything truely there between us, but after reading all the posts on this website, I have started to feel like an idiot being sucked into the romance.......

If you're aware enough to feel that way you are NOT an idiot

Hi
........The guy was a hotel worker and I am an educated woman with a good career in the UK, should I go back over to see what happens or should I wake up that I am just being played by this guy.

IF you go back, go to another hotel, have fun and then walk away.

You've probably read enough to realize that playing people is what these Sankies and Sankiettes do. It's a lucrative career.

They are world class liars.

my tuppence and a ha'penny

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
Hi
I met a DR guy 3 months ago whilst I was on holiday, nothing has happened between us but we have been in contact almost everyday since I have been back in the UK. I have been debating about going back to see him just to see if there is anything truely there between us, but after reading all the posts on this website, I have started to feel like an idiot being sucked into the romance.
The guy was a hotel worker and I am an educated woman with a good career in the UK, should I go back over to see what happens or should I wake up that I am just being played by this guy.

Follow your heart and you will never be wrong. Also keep ypur eyes wide open.

tailor

Apr 11, 2009
I would say follow your heart but be VERY careful! I have a boyfriend from D.R and i truely believe he is genuine but i have heard soooo many times where it goes wrong for these reasons: Most guys are after getting visa, most guys have many girls from different countrys but the girl doesnt know this and thinks shes his only girlfriend! In the end the guy will pick the girl who gives him best chance of getting visa. I know this because my boyfriend told me nearly almost all the guys he knows there say this to him! I would say the ways to tell if hes genuine is: he will never ask for money or gifts from you, he wont mention going to your country, you can get hold of him easy when you call he always answers or if not calls you back soon! Also if he wants you to go to his home town this should proove he doesnt already have wife or girlfriend from there. Maybe go back have fun. see what happens and take it from there..... only you will know?? there are some positive stories on here too!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Don't follow your heart it will get you in trouble every time. Follow common sense and gut feeling. Women have a great gift which is our intuition and when you are posting and asking it means you are already feeling something wrong besides what you read here. It's a shame that most will never follow their intuitions.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
Also if he wants you to go to his home town this should proove he doesnt already have wife or girlfriend from there.

Riiiiiight.....because that girl hanging around with all the kids.....is his sister;);)

They are all in it together!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
BAil!! Geronimoooo!!!

I think I have shares in a company that is purchasing the Staure of Liberty and the Eiffel Tower and they have a bid in for the Tower of London....it is called "Sucker's Monumental Investment Fund" and I just know it will make money.....

If you have an iota of sense, get out as fast as possible....

HB

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Advice required

If you are asking for advice on a public forum, then you already know the answer! That bright intelligent woman doesn't need any of us to explain how things work. Use the gifts you have been given and be grateful that you had an exciting holiday and move on. Perhaps try another destination next vacation and see what other parts of the world have to offer.
If in spite of yourself, see Hillbilly for some investment information!!!! lol!!!

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
if you want to be friends, then be strickly friends, no money, no help, don't fall for his pleas of love. many families ARE in on the ploy, no doubt about it. Hire an investigator to check him out if you ever want to date him. Common sense and your intuition will never steer you wrong, but the "heart" may.
Good luck

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
republicadominicana.bbactif.com
i agree with the money and help ,so many of them know how to take advantage and make you feel guilty!i knew this girl attractive,lawyer in france ,she sent money after 2 week because he broke his phone and they could not talk daily!

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I would say the ways to tell if hes genuine is: he will never ask for money or gifts from you, he wont mention going to your country, you can get hold of him easy when you call he always answers or if not calls you back soon! Also if he wants you to go to his home town this should proove he doesnt already have wife or girlfriend from there.

IMO what you mentioned above are not the best ways to tell if he is genuine.
The smart ones never ask for money directly.
They make you think it is your idea for offering.
The smart ones will not talk about going to your country.
Again they want you to fall crazy in love with them and bingo you will automatically want to be with him and that usually means in your country.

He will always be easy to reach if he thinks he hit the jackpot.
It is not unheard of that ENTIRE families are in on the con, including his parents, children and wives/girlfriends who pretend to be cousins and extended family.
Crazy but true.
So the fact that he brings you to his home town means nothing. Because his family and friends are on his side and will not burst his cover.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
It's kind of sample.
Hotel worker = sankie
Hotel owner = maybe not
Resort owner who drives a big jeepeta and makes more $ than you is not a sankie and he won't need you at all, or he will treat you like crap

The Hun

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
It is obviously difficult to accept that someone is only interested in you for material reasons, but if you visit the DR for longer than a holiday you will see that everyones motives are materialistic and no one will do anything for nothing, if they do you will be stuck with them until they have got their worth from you in some way. IMO and from the people that I have met and observed in the Dominican with Dominican partners accept that it is a financial agreement in some respects. 'Most' of the men (including myself) are batting well above their mark and decide to just live with it as it isn't such a bad life once all the initial orientation is unspoken but batted out and you have a silent agreement.

Now I am not saying that all women have young studs and all the men have amazing beauties to look after them, but it is a slice of reality. I for one in my late 30's would not have an 18 year old stunning girlfriend if I didn't have a good job and look after her financially. I am aware of that and accept it as it suits my lifestyle, my job doesn't leave me time to create a real relationship so I prefer to pretend and have her rather than nothing. Loads of men are the same, and women also.
It isn't ideal but to have a relationship with a Dominican you have to be prepared to understand it can all turn out quite shallow and meaningless. Then again, no doubt many have had pretty normal comings together, but I wouldn't expect that many were down to love at first sight.
From what you have said I think you might be best to forget it, or have fun with each other and then go home and get on with normality.

B

BettyDiamond

If you read previous threads like you say you did there really is no reason to ask the question.
I think you already know what replies you will get and are just trying to get the usual tired old responses.

Aunt Betty
knitting for England

Reactions: drloca