Transfer from airport SDQ - please help!

tontaube

May 8, 2009
Hi, my name is Sonja and I am going to be visiting Santo Domingo very soon and I have questions about how to get to my hotel from the airport. I need to go to the city district of Bella Vista, which is slightly further away from the airport than the Zona Colonial. What would be an appropriate price to pay a taxi driver and how would I find the best and safest taxis? My flight will be arriving during the daytime.

Also, is hopping into a taxi at the airport safe? Has anyone heard of instances where the taxi driver has taken a foreigner somewhere other than his/her destination and done harm to him/her? I'm probably worrying too much but I don't know how the safety is there.

If there might be safety concerns I would be interested in arranging a transfer from the airport to my hotel (and back to the airport). I couldn't find any companies online who offer this that I have ever heard of before. Can someone recommend me a good and reputable company who offers airport transfers (without me having booked a flight or hotel through that company)? I would be willing to pay around US$80-$90 for the round trip.

I would appreciate any suggestions and tips. Thank you!

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
You really need to take a deep breath and slown down Sonya. I assume you are going on vacation and intend to have a good time. I advise caution, but my God, the intensity of your paranoia is palapable. The Dominican Republic is not any worse, nor is it any better, than any other location you might visit, or, for that matter, where you may live. I have found, after traveling to SD over the past ten years, that the taxis at the airport are reliable and safe. Negotiated a price may be a bit challenging, but you should be able to get to your hotel for $30-35 USD without angst. My adivise to you: chill and enjoy the wonderful experience that is the Dominican Republic!

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Hi, my name is Sonja and I am going to be visiting Santo Domingo very soon and I have questions about how to get to my hotel from the airport. I need to go to the city district of Bella Vista, which is slightly further away from the airport than the Zona Colonial. What would be an appropriate price to pay a taxi driver and how would I find the best and safest taxis? My flight will be arriving during the daytime.

Also, is hopping into a taxi at the airport safe? Has anyone heard of instances where the taxi driver has taken a foreigner somewhere other than his/her destination and done harm to him/her? I'm probably worrying too much but I don't know how the safety is there.

If there might be safety concerns I would be interested in arranging a transfer from the airport to my hotel (and back to the airport). I couldn't find any companies online who offer this that I have ever heard of before. Can someone recommend me a good and reputable company who offers airport transfers (without me having booked a flight or hotel through that company)? I would be willing to pay around US$80-$90 for the round trip.

I would appreciate any suggestions and tips. Thank you!

Hi Sonja,

I understand your concerns and don't agree with Ron that you are paranoid about this issue. There are lots of stories about the issues you mentioned and as a female travelling alone you are right to be concerned. The best advice is to be aware of what's going on around you and to take reasonable care. Taxi from the airport is easy, when you walk out of the terminal building turn left, ignore the touts who will suggest to get you a taxi. Walk a few yards until you come to the official taxi dispatcher office. They will show you in advance what is the official tariff for your destination. The current rate for the centre of Santo Domingo is around US$35, Bella Vista will probably be about US$5-10 more.

There are two major hotels in Bella Vista, the Ambassador and the BQ (used to be the Delta) and they are very close to each other. Both have tourist taxi stands but the turistico will cost you at least twice as much as a regular radio-taxi. Tax Apolo is considered to be the best service and safe. Their phone number is 809 537 0000 and some of their despatchers speak English. The going rate for taxi in the city is between RD$150 and 250 depending on whether the journey is inside or outside of the central area. When you order the taxi the despatcher, if you ask will tell you the tarifa for your ride. He will also tell you the driver's number and the colour of the vehicle. Verify both before you get in the car and whatever you do, don't pick up a taxi on the street.

So, if you stay aware, use good common sense and don't do things that you wouldn't do at home, you should be OK. PM me if you need any further information and enjoy your stay.

Bryan

RossW

Jun 21, 2007
www.MovingtoDR.com
Sonja,

When I first took taxis here I was just as concerned as you sound. I think the concern is good, so just be aware of things around you. I use the taxis at the airport quite often and have never had any problems. The drivers are used to foreign passengers and try to make your trip to the capital enjoyable.

The tariff quoted to me at the airport yesterday to Evaristo Morales (fairly close to Bella Vista) was RD$1300 (US$36). Since you are concerned about safety and do not sound too worried about the rate, just follow Ron's instructions and go to the taxis waiting outside of the terminal. You may be able to get the rate lower if you have great Spanish and want to fight a bit but I'd recommend leaving that for another trip!

Have fun in SDQ!

Ross