Kite Boarding Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

RossW

Jun 21, 2007
www.MovingtoDR.com
I have family visiting the Capital the first week in June. I am fine planning everything here in SD but have no clue what to do as far as a kite boarding trip goes. There will be 4 young dudes visiting who wakeboard and snowboard year round and they want to take a day or two and try out kite boarding. (I can arrange transportation to/from Cabarete)

Here are my questions:
1) I need recommendations on equipment rentals and possibly some sort of lessons? (They can bring wake boards but I think it would be easier to just rent everything together).

2) Does anyone have any connections for a hotel/apartment/villa? There will be 8 people total.

PM me and i'll send you my contact info.

Thanks!
Ross

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
i have talked to the manager of LEK, and one of the instructors there, and they both said that you can't learn to kite in 2 days....but there is that wakeboard place in islabon you can go to.....5min east of cabarete

Kiteboarding Info and More

Hi there!

Greetings from Cabarete! To respond to your questions:

1. Equipment rentals -

Wakeboarding: The local wakeboard company, Cab Wake, provides an excellent service including pick up at your condo/hotel, gear, instruction if necessary and more. Visit this link to find more info:

Cab Wake School - Cabarete, Dominican Republic

Kiteboarding: Learning to fly the kite and then combining that with riding on the board is normally achieved in between 6-9 hours of lessons. Learning from an instructor is crucial in our sport because the power kites can lift or drag the pilot, which has the potential for serious consequences. Renting gear comes later, once the kite control is there and the dangers are well understood. During lessons the equipment is included.

Most kite schools will work around the individual students time requirements, if only 2 days are available for training then by taking longer sessions each day there is the possibility to be up and riding. Of course that is taking for granted having wind, which (unfortunately) we can not control! Each student is different, but young guys with water and board sports backgrounds can normally catch on pretty fast!

2. There are MANY great places to stay in Cabarete, my favorite are the Ocean Dream condos - I love that location, close to the kiting and close to town, you can walk everywhere. Other options I like are Hotel Villa Taina and Palm Beach Condos in the center of town. If you want any more specific info please feel free to PM me!

Windy regards,

Laurel

Status
Not open for further replies.