marriage, divorce, pregnancy

cr12

May 12, 2009
I am American, my husband Dominican. He basically left me after 2 months marriage, came back, left again (says irreconcilable differences). I am now 6 months pregnant. He has not/is not helping in any way, shape or form with our unborn child. I pay everything. It's been less than a year of marriage, I want to divorce him. Complication- I lent him a significant amount of money, he bought a car in his name (they day we married). I don't want any pension from him for the child, just the money I loaned him back. I know it's probably impossible, as he's being dishonest. Also, I have assets he doesn't know about (but I suppose suspects) in the US that I'm afraid he may claim title to if he finds out. I am employed in the DR, we have been living together here, but I am planning to go back to the US to have my baby and live. Do I have any hope of getting what was rightfully mine? It's as if he married to have money to buy the car. Can you recommend some lawyers for me that understand US and Dominican law to help with the divorce? I am in Santo DOmingo.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
LAWYERLAWYERLAWYERLAWYERLAWYERLAWYERLAWYER

You shoudda read DR1 before but now you want to see a lawyer...you do have, in theory, a good deal of protection.

HB

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Better Now

you do have, in theory, a good deal of protection.

In reality she has none.
I'd leave the country BEFORE the baby is born, otherwise she may have problems getting his permission to leave 'paradise'.
The money is lost, something which a lawyer may not want to tell you. ;)

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
OK, you need to speak initially to someone who was educated and understands both sides. I would say a Dominican Lawyer who was educated in US and now has gone back to make his money on such cases.
I have a lawyer who was Dominican and educated in the UK and so understand where we all stand. You need to do the same.
I have complete control over my situation as both sides are covered and I would advise you to do the same.

It makes a huge difference if you find the right front!
Good Luck!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Maybe it's just me but this is a no brainer! Get yourself out of the country as soon as reasonably possible and back to the U.S. You have an unborn child to think about. Do not concern yourself with whatever reasons he may have married you for at this point nor whether you will ever get a penny from this guy, which is unfortunately doubtful. It's hard enough to get money from irresponsible men once the baby is born so I think you are expecting a lot to think he will be supporting you now considering that it doesn't sound like you have any future plans to be together. Consider it a cheap lesson since your child's future is at stake and that there is a real possibility that he may try and prevent you from leaving. Do not tell him when you are leaving nor show him signs that you are winding down and planning on leaving sooner rather than later. You said you have assets in the U.S. so even though you will not regain the money you lent him for a car, you obviously won't be completely broke. Go home and start over. From the little information you have given on your situation, this is how I see it.

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
Consider it a cheap lesson since your child's future is at stake and that there is a real possibility that he may try and prevent you from leaving.

Do tell me how this would ever happen??
I would love to know your info as getting my future child out of the country seems almost (nothing more than a few pesos in the right direction) impossible legally??

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
is best to fight your battle from t he US..
once syour back in Goodoldusa and file for childsupport..you can hire a DR attoenry to doit for ou here and look out for the baby..he will one day want to have arelationship with your child and he will need to explain what happen..carma willtake its course

Reactions: drloca

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If the child is born in The DR, you'll require his permission to take the child out of the country...so he more opportunity for him to pressure you into giving him more dough. I agree with certain comments here regarding the money for the car, just consider it a gift and lessons learned. When you divorce him in theory you could get 1/2 of the value of that car...again that's just in theory (Who's going to enforce it to make him sell the car and give you 1/2? Nobody that is)

So plan your exit quietly without letting him know and one day just head out into the sunset and serve him papers from The US.