Dominicanas & birth control?

centrovert

May 5, 2009
Okay, so I did a search of past posts and had all but one of my questions surrounding birth control (BC) answered.

Are Dominican women... the "respectable", average, every day goes to work or school, non-sankie, non-putana types... open to forms of BC other than condoms? Are they by and large open to the idea of oral/intravenous BC? Is it a taboo subject to even bring up? Or, am I giving the ladies not enough credit in assuming that Dominicanas are "not keen on/ ignorant of the practice", and are actually quite open-minded regarding the topic? I don't know, hence why I'm asking.

I know, I know... many people don't like these kinds of questions, but let's be honest in saying the number of guys quoted throughout history for having said, "Condoms? Yeah, I like condoms. They really do make sex that much better." are few and far between! In fact, there is a small chance I am the first person to ever put those particular English words together in that exact order!

I ask because I am under the impression that there are probably some strong Judeo-Christian/Catholic morals in the DR, and birth control is a big no-no for many people... both men and women alike. I would especially appreciate replies from any mature (be that in age or attitude) Latinas.

For the record, I myself have a tendency to think that when two people (in my case an man and a woman) who are "committed" to each other and to a shared future ideal... well, if "Daddy Warbucks" is paying for the weekly visits to the salon... I'm sure same said daddy could throw down for an extra purchase at the Farmacia (SP?) when needed.

And because I do see a potential back lash here, I would like to make one final statement... If I wanted to live like a rock start and bed multiple women every week... I would go back to Japan, Korea or Malaysia where all of that is 100% free of charge! I just want a quiet life where I can buy some decent property on the cheap, live a "comfortable expat lifestyle" and make the most of my current/future income and savings.

Thank you,
Dennis

May 31, 2005
Sure, there are some really religious people. But if you can have sex before marriage than I don't see how you should be against birth control. It is all a matter of personal preferance.

centrovert

May 5, 2009
Sure, there are some really religious people. But if you can have sex before marriage than I don't see how you should be against birth control. It is all a matter of personal preferance.

I get that, the personal preference thing. What I am trying to get is a sense of the prevailing winds, so to speak.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I get that, the personal preference thing. What I am trying to get is a sense of the prevailing winds, so to speak.

Most women in my immediate family...I am married to a dominican woman,use birth control pills...they are very cheap,or free if you are a poor dominican...

and of course,condoms are very popular...
bob

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Condoms are given out free here so that men don't get AIDS from women. I had this discussion yesterday with a Dominican man. He says that SIDA (AIDS) is very prevalent here. Sure she might not get pregnant if on birth control pills, but what might you get if you don't use condoms. Play safe in this country at all times.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
from my experience (that is observing miesposo's family and friends) birth control is used without any religious problem.
women will use pills, injections and IUD. suprisingly enough those who already have several kids very often get sterilized.

centrovert

May 5, 2009
Condoms are given out free here so that men don't get AIDS from women. I had this discussion yesterday with a Dominican man. He says that SIDA (AIDS) is very prevalent here. Sure she might not get pregnant if on birth control pills, but what might you get if you don't use condoms. Play safe in this country at all times.

Good thinking. Though I have no intentions of dating virgins... I can't say I have antentions of trolling for street-meat either. I figure there has to be a happy medium some where, and once a couple (ie, me and "her") has decided to become intimate on a regular basis, I always try to sneak in the "blood test" topic.

In the imortal words of the female lead in the movie Fight Club "The condom is the glass slipper of our generation." Sure, they work for the night of the big dance, but who wants to walk the rest of their life in glass shoes when sneakers are a popular alternative!

Thank you for the replies. Not trying to get off-topic here, but don't condoms work for women not getting AIDS from men as well? I was always under the impression that AIDS was "far easier", and by that I mean in a pure statistical sense, for men to spread than women. Don't get me wrong, I understand that any individual who has the virus can spread it, but what with the amounts of body fluids exchanged during intercourse, I was always told/ have read that it was "far easier" for men to pass it on the women folk or other men. One reason why some called it the "gay plague" for so long.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Thank you for the replies. Not trying to get off-topic here, but don't condoms work for women not getting AIDS from men as well? I was always under the impression that AIDS was "far easier", and by that I mean in a pure statistical sense, for men to spread than women. Don't get me wrong, I understand that any individual who has the virus can spread it, but what with the amounts of body fluids exchanged during intercourse, I was always told/ have read that it was "far easier" for men to pass it on the women folk or other men. One reason why some called it the "gay plague" for so long.

You're correct in that statistically and biologically, it is "easier" for men to transmit HIV to their female parters, but not for the reasons you list. I won't get into the details since it deals with a "taboo" subject, but this site gives a few reasons why. Number 1 on the first list is a similar reason as the why male to male transmission is also high.

And condoms are not 100% effective against ALL STIs since it only covers part of the... well, "member." It is common to see, for example, HSV-2 infection in areas not covered by a condom.

Most of my female friends here do the pill or rhythm method. Those that do the rhythm method do so for non-religious reasons and are mostly married.

And I know quite a few women here that have been sterilized. One such coworker's husband went on to have a child outside of the marriage. When I asked why the husband didn't get a vastectomy (knowing full well what the response would be), she burst out laughing. She admitted it would make more sense but that it would never happen in this society.

swtness

Apr 16, 2009
I guess if your in an adult realationship with her then there should be absoloutly no problems discussing this with her and getting her to use bc trust me most women don't like the "glass slipper" either. Funny reference though lol.

swtness

centrovert

May 5, 2009
You're correct in that statistically and biologically, it is "easier" for men to transmit HIV to their female parters, but not for the reasons you list. I won't get into the details since it deals with a "taboo" subject, but this site gives a few reasons why. Number 1 on the first list is a similar reason as the why male to male transmission is also high.

Thanks for posting that... very informative web site there.

Learned something new today? CHECK!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
There are many options when it comes to birth control...generally best discussed between the two people involved (or as many as are involved!!).

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Birth control here is common and accepted, especially condoms, the shot and the pill. They are all available for free or very cheap at public clinics even in rural areas.
There are, however, many myths about bc here in the DR that result in unwanted pregnancies, HIV or STIs. Some women believe that there is a PILL you can take once a month. I knew a foreign guy whose Dominican wife got pregnant because she thought the pill was once a month. Oops. Make sure you and your partner understand the truth about how whatever bc you are using works and how to use it correctly. Even though it's use might be widely accepted, it's not so out in the open that everyone knows all the details.

Note: You cannot transmit AIDS. It's HIV that is spread from one person through another. AIDS occurs as a result of the later stages of HIV in a person and is measured by a laboratory count of a certain type of the person's blood cells. So please use HIV :)