The first flight to Canada - Experience with Charters

todiscover

May 17, 2007
So... I was about to book my husbands first flight to Toronto from POP when i decided just to be safe that I should call the charter tour operators just to make sure there is no issue with me purchasing a round trip but him only making the return trip. The options for this summer are only Sunwing and Air Transat.

So glad that I did...
Turns out that Sunwing is not allowing Dominicans to get on their flights.
They have been having issues lately with falsified documents, so as a rule they have decided to not allow any dominicans on the flight so that they dont get fined if they indeed are entering the country illegally.

I then called Air Transat. They are saying its not an issue and that they will put a note on my purchase to say that one flight will be missed and that i should have no problems with the one way flight into Toronto. I advised them of the Sunwing issue, and they feel that its discrimination and that it "shouldnt" apply to them. HOWEVER, that I should contact my travel agency and have them look into it further. I was a little annoyed as i dont see how a travel agent would know more than the ACTUAL company that is making up these rules.

I called itravel and the rep was very friendly and is looking into it for me. Once i know the verdict, I will update this post.

Question: Does anyone have any experience with charters? Have any of your wives/husbands flown to Canada recently on a charter? If so, who did you use and did you have any issues?

Note: I am aware that Air Canada is my next option. But they are over priced, so i'm trying to do the charter route if i can.

thanks!

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Todiscover,

I don't have any experience with flights for Dominicans, but if I remember correctly you said your husband should be here some time in July (or maybe that was someone??). Anyway, I'm not sure if it is a requirement to book a return ticket, but I did just look on Air Canada website and there is a flight that is on July 19th from POP to YYZ for $196 plus tax. There is a stop over in Montreal though. I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but maybe non charter flights might be a viable option, if you catch a deal of course.

Good luck with everything.

todiscover

May 17, 2007
i am going to go down and bring him back. In order to travel together the AC prices are not that reasonable. I had already looked at that. But thanks for your feedback.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Is west Jet still flying out of the DR at this time of year?

These are the choices that others have posted when booking a first time flight for a Dominican with a Canadian PR visa, West Jet, Air Transat and Air Canada.

Ellie2008

Aug 8, 2008
West Jet is seasonal for POP ended May 3rd and will resume November

However they are still running from PUJ to Toronto

Johana

May 24, 2006
I got the same response for trying to buy a round trip on a charter but only using the return portion of the ticket. And I don't think the charters will let you buy the one way ticket until after the first leg has already left from YYZ to POP so that they ensure they are getting the most money.

With Air Transat can you get it in writing that they are aware you are buying the return ticket but will only use the one way??? Maybe that will help eleviate any problems coming home.

jojocdn

Mar 9, 2008
I called Westjet because I was curious...you can purchase a one-way ticket from Canada to the DR and vise-versa...am not sure how it would work if you purchase a return ticket for yourself and a one way for your spouse (to be on the return flight with you) but you can call Westjet and inquire...

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
You do not need to buy a round trip ticket if he will only fly one way. Tell him to go to Air Transat office in POP and buy a one way ticket. That's what i do if i need to fly out of POP. If i remember correctly it was $470.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
the idea to go into the air transat office and purchase the ticket is a good one except that they only sell any seats that are left over from the flight into POP and you take a risk that there will be no seats.

sort of defeats the idea of travelling together if there arent any seats left.

seems kind of crazy to have to purchase a return ticket for him though.

good luck!

todiscover

May 17, 2007
the price is really cheap right now, so i dont mind purchasing a return ticket.
I just dont want any issues.
As for westjet, yes they are great, but they currently dont fly into POP during the summer.

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
guys, for the ones leaving from punta cana to toronto, there is a flight for about one hundred and something available for june 6th. that is a heck of a deal.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I booked my husband on Air Canada. I looked into everything else and found a cheaper flight on Air Canada than the charters...just keep checking they have seats sales all the time!

caredbl84

Jan 26, 2008
direct flight from Montreal to POP for first time permanent resident

guys, I have decided to get the first flight for my wife via POP (puerto plata) can you help me with a direct flight from there to montreal for the first weekend of june? I am calling all the agencyes in montreal as well..

air canada doesnt seem to be an option because oftheir price, air transat says they dont do direct flights from DR to CA. westjet is not doing the service again until november... what are my options that youguys know???

thanks

Ellie2008

Aug 8, 2008
Hi I found one direct flight with Air Canada but it is expensive Jun 7th for $1269
And the flight for June 21st is $422.00

Both are non stop ...looks like only on Sundays does Air Canada do direct from POP