The Dominican Alps

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Interesting article in this month's HISPANIC Magazine under "Summer Escapes":

The Dominican Alps
While its lavish, all inclusive beachside resorts and world class golf courses have made the Dominican Republic one of the most popular destinations in the Caribbean, one of the country's most distinctive attractions remains largely unknown and seldom visited. Smack in the middle of Hispaniola, the island the DR shares with Haiti, the tallest mountain in all of the Caribbean rises grandly to an elevation of over 10,000 feet above sea level.

Pico Duarte, the craggy crown of the country's Cordillera Central mountain range, towers higher than any mountain to be found in 38 of the U.S. states. It overshadows by far the loftiest peaks of Cuba, Puerto Rico, Jamaica and other neighboring island nations.

Pico Duarte is surrounded by the Armando Bermudez National Park, one of several large protected areas in the country that have made the DR a regional leader in environmental conservation. Hikes to the summit, which can take up to three days roundtrip, are demanding and require advance planning. Jarabacoa, the major town in the area, helps set the mood with its abundance of Swiss-style cabins. Along the way, visitors can experience rushing mountain streams, three ecological zones each with their own distinct varieties of flora and fauna, and that most atypical Caribbean experience, an occasional hint of frost and ice.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Shhhhhh...keep it quiet. It's nice and peaceful up here...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Shhhhhh...keep it quiet. It's nice and peaceful up here...

:squareeye I know what you mean. My father-in-law loved Jarabacoa, he first took us up there in the 1980s. I felt like I'd left the DR the first time I stood over a rushing stream. Just lovely. He was born in Navarette, raised in Los Armacigos, and loved visiting Jarabacoa every chance he got. Like my husband, he was never a 'city-boy' even though he lived in SD for 60-70 years.

On the way back to SD from one of our trips up there my suegro had us stop in the middle of nowhere at a house that was also an art gallery for the gentleman who lived there. He bought me an oil painting that day that still hangs in my home here in NJ, a large campo scene with a big flamboyan tree in full bloom next to a stream that reminded us of the one we had just visited. The artist was JE Urena - ever hear of him? I wonder if he's still there. This was almost 20 years ago, and he wasn't a young man then....

DRExplorer

Jan 1, 2007
Pico Duarte

Interesting article in this month's HISPANIC Magazine under "Summer Escapes":

The Dominican Alps
While its lavish, all inclusive beachside resorts and world class golf courses have made the Dominican Republic one of the most popular destinations in the Caribbean, one of the country's most distinctive attractions remains largely unknown and seldom visited. Smack in the middle of Hispaniola, the island the DR shares with Haiti, the tallest mountain in all of the Caribbean rises grandly to an elevation of over 10,000 feet above sea level.

Pico Duarte, the craggy crown of the country's Cordillera Central mountain range, towers higher than any mountain to be found in 38 of the U.S. states. It overshadows by far the loftiest peaks of Cuba, Puerto Rico, Jamaica and other neighboring island nations.

Pico Duarte is surrounded by the Armando Bermudez National Park, one of several large protected areas in the country that have made the DR a regional leader in environmental conservation. Hikes to the summit, which can take up to three days roundtrip, are demanding and require advance planning. Jarabacoa, the major town in the area, helps set the mood with its abundance of Swiss-style cabins. Along the way, visitors can experience rushing mountain streams, three ecological zones each with their own distinct varieties of flora and fauna, and that most atypical Caribbean experience, an occasional hint of frost and ice.

I was told that it takes over two days to reach the summit of Pico Duarte from Jarabacoa. You are saying upto three days roundtrip, this is correct?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I was told that it takes over two days to reach the summit of Pico Duarte from Jarabacoa. You are saying upto three days roundtrip, this is correct?

Hello - I was just quoting an article in a magazine - never done it myself [and with my knee problems likely never will!!] Not sure, maybe someone on DR1 has made the hike and will let us know a realistic time frame.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
we did it with our students - a bunch of lazy kids (and hilarious: some of the girls thought they'd do the hike in heels!) - and it took three days round trip. I bet you could do it with just one overnight if you're more... um, in shape? and don't have 18 kids in tow.

DRExplorer

Jan 1, 2007
Pico Duarte

Thank you all, this should be fun to do, I gotta try this next year. I should make Jarabacoa as my starting point. When is the best time of the year to go and take breathtaking pictures from Pico Duarte?

Jan 3, 2003
we did it with our students - a bunch of lazy kids (and hilarious: some of the girls thought they'd do the hike in heels!) - and it took three days round trip. I bet you could do it with just one overnight if you're more... um, in shape? and don't have 18 kids in tow.

It took us three days to get close to PICO DUARTE to begin the ascent BUT due to frigid cold air, sub-freezing temperatures and torrential downpours we had to return home. Next time, I'll be prepared.

Remember you need a thick rain coat, winter clothing, galoshes, amongst other things to be comfortable enough to enjoy the trip.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Remember you need a thick rain coat, winter clothing, galoshes, amongst other things to be comfortable enough to enjoy the trip.
No way. This is the Dominican Republic. Nobody needs anything beyond flip-flops, cut offs and a wife beater...

GOLFGUY

Oct 25, 2004
Can someone tell me if I continue from Jarabacoa to Manabao to La Cienaga, how far can I go to Pico Duarte by motocross.

Jan 3, 2003
No way. This is the Dominican Republic. Nobody needs anything beyond flip-flops, cut offs and a wife beater...

The Cordillera Central is another world within the DR. You'd think you were in Northern Europe or the N.E. US in wintertime. Even in July, the temperatures I saw on my digital thermometer were in the 40's some nights. Imagine in the wintertime how cold it gets. Many homes all throughout these areas including my own have CHIMNEYS, believe it or not, real red brick chimneys!!

At times the air is so dry that you can hear the crackling from timbers ebbing into flames and patches of mountainside pine trees burning into flares. It is a sight to see at night. Or the howling winds as they caress the pine trees at dawn while you see the clouds hanging on mountain peaks. It's very beautiful to witness. Or the chasms that make you feel as small as an ant as you witness those spacious canyons of immense depth and length between Ocoa and Constanza. It's a different world up there.

Can someone tell me if I continue from Jarabacoa to Manabao to La Cienaga, how far can I go to Pico Duarte by motocross.

I can't tell you exactly at what point BUT there does come a point where only mules and by foot will take you the rest of the way. I doubt a motorbike can even take you 1/10 of the way.

Last edited:

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
how about take some pictures of valle nuevo and post it..i hear is the best keep secret of my country.. Elechos rojos..........

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Um are there any animals (ie. bears or the like) to worry about? I would love to go but when I think of mountains I think of Western Canada with Black Bears and Grizzly Bears. Can you camp or are there cabins on the way up?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
no bears no poisonous snakes

Um are there any animals (ie. bears or the like) to worry about? I would love to go but when I think of mountains I think of Western Canada with Black Bears and Grizzly Bears. Can you camp or are there cabins on the way up?

the lonely planet guide gives good coverage of this and suggests camping rather than staying in the cabins which have evidently been discovered by rats.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

There are no dangerous animals, insects, or plants. There are cabins but from all reports it is better to stay in a tent. Even in Canada, and I come from bear country, you are in little danger as long as you don't sleep with your food.

Jan 3, 2003
the lonely planet guide gives good coverage of this and suggests camping rather than staying in the cabins which have evidently been discovered by rats.
What type of rats are those?

There are no dangerous animals, insects, or plants. There are cabins but from all reports it is better to stay in a tent. Even in Canada, and I come from bear country, you are in little danger as long as you don't sleep with your food.
It's a better idea to sleep with a loved one than food.