Work Visa Application for Canada

kristen

Jan 17, 2009
Dominican resident will be applying for the 2nd time for a work visa to Canada. As I am both his representative and proposed employee and will be in the D.R. at the time would it be wise for me to accompany him to the embassy when he submits his application? Will they allow me to sit in during his application?

kristen

Jan 17, 2009
yes this application is for the same person. Yes the first one was denied and yes it was proven no one here is interested.
All documents on this end have been applied for and recieved with government agencies.
As my buisness is run out of my home this individual would require being in and around my home so I chose someone I know for safety reasons.
It appears from reading that Dominican ppl are constantly denied for standard reasons. I was just wondering if it would be helpful if I attended the interview.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Why was the first application denied? They must have assumed he would stay in Canada illegally because he has no strong ties to the DR to return. All the seasonal agricultural workers and nannies have strong family ties.

Are you trying to bring your boyfriend in on a work visa? That's what I would suspect. What kind of work will he be doing that no one is interested in? "Personal caregiver/gardener" or guachim?n

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Why was the first application denied? They must have assumed he would stay in Canada illegally because he has no strong ties to the DR to return. All the seasonal agricultural workers and nannies have strong family ties.

Are you trying to bring your boyfriend in on a work visa? That's what I would suspect. What kind of work will he be doing that no one is interested in? "Personal caregiver/gardener" or guachim?n

Margaret, taken from a previous thread

good luck, my husband and I also have friends there, we own a buisness in Canada and proposed a seasonal job offer to one of them. He was unsure as he had never been here and did not know what to expect(understandably) hense he applied for a visitor visa first and was turned down for routine reasons 9No guarantee he would return. We spoke to political office and explained the situation and was told refusls were standard as their was concern he may apply to stay, but with a work permit that option was not there SO he applied for the work permit, everything and more was in his application and guess what still was turned down, reason being the same but with comment under other--"Reason to believe employment contract was not done in good faith", back to political office again , ministerial inquiry asked for, it appears they now may think the job offer is bogus and it was an other avenue to get this individual to Canada, moral Screwed if you do and Screwed if you don't. Any advise would be great and good luck to yourself.

I wish I knew the answer but just guessing by the number of unemployed people right now, one would need some special skills to get here on a work visa.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Thanks Anna, I read her past posts. I'm just so skeptical when I read some of these work visa threads. You can't use that process to do a favour for a friend. No matter how many agencies she and her husband have posted this job with, immigration won't believe that he is only one who can do it and that will be here only to do the job and go home. We still have lots of seasonal workers, 35,000 approx and they all go home and take care of their families. Maybe they have some "agency" back home in Mexico and Jamaica that recruits and makes sure everyone returns. I know women came into Canada on "stripper visas" to work at "jobs" no one else would do. Probably the police working with immigration. We have corruption here also. But good kind Dominicanas won't be coming to pick strawberries for some farmer in Southern Ontario and this guy won't get in either. If you want to help someone, pay for their tuition to highschool or college and be up front about it.

kristen

Jan 17, 2009
First of all I asked a simple question that has yet to be answered. I originally went to the D.R. for vacation, a few years ago. Since then have aquired a home and have meant many individuals, some who I have kept contact with.
My buisness is in long term care, have been in buisness for 13 yrs and yes could use a caregiver/gardener/ maintenance/ security as well as other positions.
In order to recieve a positive labour market opinion which was done, proper procedures need to be followed to prove that our unemployed sector are not willing to fill that position. Maybe because of the cost of living here our citizens are not interested in the wage offered, they could make more on welfare which I think has a very good health plan. My job offer was and remains legit. I chose this individual yes because I know him and he would be living in my home, he has experience in the position offered. He has no criminal record and comes from a good family along with other reasons that are legit. I need no boyfriend or any other companion. I need a worker and have been upfront. All I asked for was an answer to a simple question and not to be judged by someone who does not even know me but only assumes

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Do you think that there is any chance that this fellow will work in what most Canadians would consider a third tier job, under the woman he has been "attending" on his home turf, where is is master and lord of all? Please, do not be silly.

You should realize, as so many have forgotten to do in the haze of sankismo, that you are responsible for all of his care, maintenance and such supplied by the good citizens of Canada, if he should decide to fly the coop to better pastures? Yup, for like three years!! Or until they catch him.

Please understand that living on the dole is a high stake game for Dominicans without any education beyond the streets.

Don't do this, please.

HB

kristen

Jan 17, 2009
Just to make clear the only person that attends to this woman is her husband. I also have a 29 year old son and and I am not interested in any other man Dominican or any other race.
On a work visa I am responsible for wages, health care,accomodations and air fare for the time of his employment, not 3 years. I am already married and have no desire to divorce and remarry.
This individual has an education. I'm not sure why I am recieving these responses , maybe all threads should be read. Still no answer to the original question.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
kristen,

i dont really know the answer to your question but i can tell you my experience at the embassy in santo domingo.

you would be allowed to enter with him as you are canadian and they cant keep you out.

saying that, once you are inside there is a carport type structure with waiting room type seating. You take a number (although you are probably the only ones there) and then in a few minutes the guard lets you inside.

Inside you are at a window. Behind the window is the secretary. She will take your paperwork.

She barely speaks and then you leave.

I cant see the benefit of you attending this part. Perhaps if they wished to interview him it may be wise to be there.

In my opinion, they have seen that you have tried 1 way to get him to Canada by visitor visa and then when that didnt work you tried another way with the work visa and that is why they said its in bad faith.

From that I would gather this person has ties to you and your family and likely wont leave and therefore they will probably never grant you the visa.

Good luck
Sangria

Last edited:

kristen

Jan 17, 2009
Thank you very much for your answer. There is no ties other then friendship with me or my family, but I do see your point. Again thank-you

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
First of all I asked a simple question that has yet to be answered. I originally went to the D.R. for vacation, a few years ago. Since then have aquired a home and have meant many individuals, some who I have kept contact with.
My buisness is in long term care, have been in buisness for 13 yrs and yes could use a caregiver/gardener/ maintenance/ security as well as other positions.
In order to recieve a positive labour market opinion which was done, proper procedures need to be followed to prove that our unemployed sector are not willing to fill that position. Maybe because of the cost of living here our citizens are not interested in the wage offered, they could make more on welfare which I think has a very good health plan. My job offer was and remains legit. I chose this individual yes because I know him and he would be living in my home, he has experience in the position offered. He has no criminal record and comes from a good family along with other reasons that are legit. I need no boyfriend or any other companion. I need a worker and have been upfront. All I asked for was an answer to a simple question and not to be judged by someone who does not even know me but only assumes

Yes you are right, you haven't received a simple answer to your simple question because we don't know. The only thread of someone trying to get a work visa to Canada and has failed many times was the thread you already posted in.

Trying to answer whether it would help if the employer attended the interview would just be a guess on our part and we don't even know if they would allow it. I suggest you call Immigration and ask directly.

Has it ever reached the point of an interview or did they deny the application without an interview.

Good luck

kristen

Jan 17, 2009
Yes he was interviewed last time upon submitting his application, very simple questions, mostly about the employment contract to which he understood and answered as well as his family and current job.. I have called immigration as well as e-mailed....no response.......I am on as representative but I guess it doesn't matter, local mp had a ministarial (sorry about spelling lol) inquiry done thinking some notes might be in the file which would explain decision but there was nothing. Soon to give up as I feel I can't fix a problem that I don't know

kristen

Jan 17, 2009
Just wanted to let everyone know that my husband and myself finally had our worker approved. He arrived in Canada a month ago today and seems to be adjusting very well. Lots of changes at the embassy in Santo Domingo for the best in our case and the application went as it should. He has been approved until June 30, 2011 which even I did not expect.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Just wanted to let everyone know that my husband and myself finally had our worker approved. He arrived in Canada a month ago today and seems to be adjusting very well. Lots of changes at the embassy in Santo Domingo for the best in our case and the application went as it should. He has been approved until June 30, 2011 which even I did not expect.

That's great. Something unheard of in the past.

Best of luck with your new employee