traveling with child to RD

michela0022

Aug 22, 2008
I'm an American woman living in New York married to a Dominican man residing in Dominican Republic. I just had a baby with him. The child is American residing with me in New York. I'm going to visit my husband in June with the child. Do I need a letter of authorization to exit Dominican Republic from the father.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
No - I was told by the head guy in immigration at POP airport that, so long as you and the baby entered the DR alone and leave alone, you do not need a letter from the father. This was also confirmed by staff at the immigration office on POP.

If however you all entered together and you and the baby were to leave without the father, then yes, you would need a letter. In fact it's more than a letter that you need.....you need to visit the immigration office in POP to get a list of all documents required. These include a notarised letter of consent from the father, a copy of the picture page of both your and the baby's passports, a recent picture of the baby, ....and....I can't remember if there is anything else. Once you have all these documents you then need to go back to the immigration office in POP where they verify them and get you to fill in another form stating flight details. It's a bit of a procedure so you should leave enough time to get everything done.

Daydream

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
I recently travelled toronto-puerto plata with my daughter and noone asked for any proof that I had permission to leave the country (canada or dom rep) with her.

The rule is that as long as the child enters and exits the country with the same people...no proof is required.

having said that, I would not take a chance travelling without the document.

we prepared a simple letter stating that I have permisison to travel with my daughter and the listed our passport information as verfication of who we are (myself, my daughters and my husbands).

my husband signed it, added a photocopy of his passport with proof of his signature and we had it all notarized (200 pesos).

it was a little pain to courier it but considering what hell they could put you through it was worth it to have it just in case.

enjoy your trip!
sangria