Jarabacoa report

ctdahlquist

May 18, 2009
Having traveled to Jaracaboa from Las Terrenas, I very much enjoyed the new perspective of being in the mountains. Yes, the beach at Playa Bonita is great (see my Samana trip report), but after five days of sun and surf, I was ready for a change of climate and scenery.

Driving conditions from Samana/Las Terrenas range from good to poor, with the worst stretch of road between Nagua and San Francisco. Just northeast of downtown San Francisco on the road from Nagua you?ll find a very impressive supermarket (more upscale than a Super Walmart) that will make for a great grocery stop. Clean restrooms and a very inexpensive cafeteria well very much welcomed by all in our party.

The road from Autopista Duarte to Jaracoba is well maintained and also quite scenic. In contrast to most of the roads in coastal area, there appears to be an effort to remove trash along portions of this highway. This, along with areas of landscaping, provided a slightly more ?upscale? feeling upon arriving in the area.

After an exhaustive search around Jaracaboa, we were finally able to find the Hotel Gran Jimenoa located in a rural neighborhood about 10 minutes from the town center . The property is beautifully landscaped and is located on a roaring river. Our first room, located near the pool, was quite small for a party of three, so we decided to more to larger accommodations in another building adjacent to the river. The new accommodations were MUCH nicer with a very large balcony, larger bathroom and a more upscale feeling. Meals were inconsistent from the main dining room with the grouper entrees and goat stew as real standouts versus the Lambi (conch) which I found inedible. One comment about this hotel and the remainder of the tourist infrastructure in Jaracoba (with the exception of Rancho Baiguate) -- very few people speak English, so be prepared to do as much business as possible in Spanish.

Traveling far afield from Jaracaboa requires an SUV, as roads leading toward Constanza are in bad condition. We called Francis rent-a-car to reserve one for the day but were unsuccessful due to inadequate Spanish skills on our part. We instead opted for a lovely drive in our sedan toward La Cienga and encountered beautiful farms, roaring rivers and stunning mountain views. The road is nicely paved until the last 10 kilometers before La Cienga, and it is along this stretch that you will feel you are lost in a pastoral and scenic hideaway.

As the tourist infrastructure in Jaracaboa is developing, I strongly recommend making Rancho Baiguate one of your first stops in the area, as they can professionally arrange day trips and adventures to suite all tastes. Employing some of the few English speakers in the area, this appears to be a well organized outfit. The rafting trip we chose was very well organized with high regard for safety and training. The actual adventure on El Rio Yaque del Norte was fast, exciting, and refreshing in the heat of the Dominican sun. Your $50 fee includes a full breakfast, a delicious lunch, transportation, snacks while on the trip, and two opportunities for free beverages (including rum and beer).

Overall, Jaracaboa will provide travelers with a great view of the Dominican Alps, a refreshing climate, and several opportunities for outdoor adventure. This area is worth at least two full days.

Tips for travelers to Jaracaboa:

? Very few people, including those employed by car rental agencies and hotels speak English, so be sure to brush up on your Spanish (Rancho Baiguate is the notable exception).
? Arrange for an SUV type vehicle if you are attempting the route to Constanza.
? After an extensive search, we found no local shops that cater to tourists, so you?ll have problems finding local gifts and souvenirs. We did locate some very good coffee in a local supermarket. The Monte Alto brand is very inexepensive (just over $2) and is grown locally ? a perfect momento or travel gift for friends and relatives back home.
? Hotel Gran Jimenoa is difficult to find. Upon arriving in Jaracaboa, you?ll take a right turn in front of the Esso station, then another right before heading uphill. You?ll pass through a very nice neighborhood as the highway turns into a four-lane highway. At this point, look for the Gran Jimenoa sign. After exiting the highway, you have another 5-minute drive on dirt roads.
? Take advantage of the services of Rancho Baiguate. This is a very well-run outfit.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Very factual report. One thing I've noticed in Jarabacoa is that many people understand and speak a little English, especially the younger crowd, but are afraid to speak English because they lack confidence in English. On the main road just as you are leaving Jarabacoa(on the right) there is the PLAN CORDILLERA, Independencia #45 - attached to this is a gift shop that sells locally made pottery, Art, and organic tranditional medicines, organic coffee's ...etc. Most of this is fair trade goods.
The road between Manibao and La Cienga is one of my favorite areas.

ctdahlquist

May 18, 2009
Very factual report. One thing I've noticed in Jarabacoa is that many people understand and speak a little English, especially the younger crowd, but are afraid to speak English because they lack confidence in English. On the main road just as you are leaving Jarabacoa(on the right) there is the PLAN CORDILLERA, Independencia #45 - attached to this is a gift shop that sells locally made pottery, Art, and organic tranditional medicines, organic coffee's ...etc. Most of this is fair trade goods.
The road between Manibao and La Cienga is one of my favorite areas.

I know what you mean about lacking confidence in a different language. I do speak some very basic Spanish, but I am sometimes afraid to utilize it due to my own lack of confidence. I'm sure there are many people who do speak English in Jaracaboa, but I was surprised how few I encountered in the tourism industry (at a major local hotel, car-rental agency, etc.) who were willing to do so. As you said, it is probably a matter of confidence.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
yes. There is rental agency very close to the Catholic high school (girls) that rents late model 4x4 I can't rember the name. There are several other rental places.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
yes. There is rental agency very close to the Catholic high school (girls) that rents late model 4x4 I can't rember the name. There are several other rental places.
Next door to Pizza and Pepperoni.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Thanks! That's perfect for someone who is visiting Santo Domingo and would like to do a day or two in Jarabacoa. I'm thinking take the Caribe Tours to Jarabacoa and rent a vehicle while I'm there, staying a few days and then returning to the capitol. Does that sound like a good idea? I've had the itch to visit Jarabacoa for a long time and this trip report and the other posts about Jarabacoa have me chopping at the bit.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
I have a strip of land in Buena Vista, Jarabacoa. 1,239 m2. Here I will build my hideout. (jejeje). ;)