Best bank for CD interest

bellakins

May 31, 2008
I am considering opening a bank account in the DR (probably north coast) and am also wondering which bank offers the best interest rate for CDs. Is there an internet site to compare banks (Banco Popular, Banco Reservas, BHD, etc)?
What suggestions do you have for this process?
I also realize that investing in a longer term CD pays considerably more interest but then I'm at the mercy of currency valuation. What is the experience of people already holding CDs? I'm thinking short term for now.
I assume my USDollars will be exchanged into RD$ by the bank, right? and
when I get cash for the CD at its maturity I have to take pesos or exchange
for USD at the prevailing rate?
What's the easiest bank to deal with from the US and especially for someone
with limited formal Spanish skills?

linmagic

Sep 20, 2009
At the risk of being rapped over the typing knuckles again, I have looked around the site and was wondering if the OPs queries had been answered?

Lin
:bunny:

Sep 22, 2009
I am considering opening a bank account in the DR (probably north coast) and am also wondering which bank offers the best interest rate for CDs. Is there an internet site to compare banks (Banco Popular, Banco Reservas, BHD, etc)?
I also realize that investing in a longer term CD pays considerably more interest but then I'm at the mercy of currency valuation. What is the experience of people already holding CDs? I'm thinking short term for now.

If one is a US or EU citizen, I can't see much value in CDs withing the DR. Unless you lost everything in the States anmd you have no credit. All you have to do is check Moodys to see the DR's credit rating (hmmmm)

Nonetheless, I'll save you all the sarcastic comments from the old-timers here and tell you that the Central Bank has the best rates for CDs in Pesos.

Dollar CDs can be taken out at most of the banks like BanReservas, Popular, Leon and BHD. These interest rates are generally not good and are much riskier than a CD with say Citibank or Chase.

Unless you understand how to play the Forex card, why even bother bringing or buying Dollars here? To make .03 is an insult to your Dollars.

If you're concerned about US taxes, then looking for a hiding place in DR is useless, because any U.S. citizen is required by law to report any/all off-shore accounts to the IRS.

I took the liberty of quoting this from something I read on the Internet.

DISCLAIMER: I cannot say whether or not this may apply to the OP or ANY reader, so please consult an expert, such as an international tax attorney.

"What?s Reportable?

There are two separate annual reporting requirements. You must:

? Acknowledge that you have signatory or ?other? authority over one or more foreign accounts each year on Schedule B of your federal income tax return.
? File Form TD F 90-22.1 (the ?foreign bank account reporting? or ?FBAR? form) with the Treasury Department. (This is a simple form and it only takes a few minutes to complete.)

If you don?t comply with these requirements, you could face severe penalties. You could be fined a civil penalty up to US$10,000 for negligent noncompliance and criminal penalties up to five years. You could even get both, for ?willful? noncompliance.

You should also report various ?bank-like? offshore financial relationships.

For instance, several non-U.S.-based ?digital gold? services permit users to make financial transactions over the Internet in gold-backed accounts. While these services clearly aren?t banks, they carry out ?bank-like? functions. For that reason, the safest course is to report such accounts.

I also recommend reporting foreign variable annuities or life insurance contracts as a foreign account. According to U.S. Treasury Department analyst Elizabeth B. Witzgall:

?The position of the Department of the Treasury is that premium payments for insurance policies with cash surrender value or other investment features constitute ?deposits? within the meaning of Form 90-22.1. Therefore, if a life insurance policy is a ?whole life? or other type of policy with investment value, then it is an ?other financial account? subject to reporting.?

Some offshore promoters claim that you don?t need to report the existence of an offshore account if it?s not in your name and/or you don?t have signature authority over it.

Let me set the record straight. If you hold a debit card for your offshore account, and you can use the card to withdraw money, or even have absent signatory authority over the account, then you clearly have ?other authority? over it. And that means you must report it.
?IF YOU?RE A U. S. CITIZEN YOU HAVE A RELATIONSHIP WITH THE IRS, WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.?

Four Non-Reportable Offshore Investments

The reporting rules suggest several possible exceptions:

* Securities purchased directly from an offshore bank. A securities account is a reportable account. But if you purchase securities from an offshore bank, without opening an account, and keep the certificates in your safety deposit box, the reporting requirements don?t appear to be triggered.
* Real estate. Direct ownership of real property (including timeshare arrangements) in a foreign country isn?t a foreign account. But you must report income from your real estate holdings, wherever they?re located.
* Safekeeping arrangements. Valuables purchased outside the United States and placed directly into a non-U.S. private vault don?t appear to trigger the reporting requirements.
* Warehouse receipts and similar instruments. Certificates that represent ownership of a specified quantity of precious metals or other commodity, stored outside the United States, may not be reportable. A certificate should provide for ?allocated? or ?non-fungible? storage qualify. This means you own specific barrels, bars, coins, etc. that aren?t available to meet other claims of the warehouse company. Commodities held in non-allocated, pooled, or fungible form may be reportable.
* Foreign safety deposit box. Neither a safety deposit box in a foreign bank, nor the contents in it, constitutes a foreign bank account. However, if you open an account with the bank to secure the box, it counts toward the US$10,000 reporting threshold." -by Mark Nestmann

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
A 12 month CD at the Banco Santa Cruz last January was paying 14%. That's pesos by the way. Where it's at right now I'm not sure.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Jesuz H Christ read the OP. Where in the hell does the Central Bank come into his post. Hint. NOWHERE!!!!

He's asking for the best return at a private bank.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
My post was just a comment to bizadvisor. If it's creating problem just ignore it.
Is that OK??

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Jesuz H Christ read the OP. Where in the hell does the Central Bank come into his post. Hint. NOWHERE!!!!

He's asking for the best return at a private bank.

You are being intolerant, the question was where he could get the best rates in CD and the answer is clear: THE CENTRAL BANK!! If you don't like the CB that's another story.

Reactions: El Rey de Mangu

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Read and re-read the OP and still agree with ExtremeR and others, CB for for CD. Lots of people on the north coast use other banks for day to day banking but have CDs with CB.
Good advice IMHO!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
If one is a US or EU citizen, I can't see much value in CDs withing the DR. Unless you lost everything in the States anmd you have no credit. All you have to do is check Moodys to see the DR's credit rating (hmmmm)

Nonetheless, I'll save you all the sarcastic comments from the old-timers here and tell you that the Central Bank has the best rates for CDs in Pesos.

Dollar CDs can be taken out at most of the banks like BanReservas, Popular, Leon and BHD. These interest rates are generally not good and are much riskier than a CD with say Citibank or Chase.

Unless you understand how to play the Forex card, why even bother bringing or buying Dollars here? To make .03 is an insult to your Dollars.

If you're concerned about US taxes, then looking for a hiding place in DR is useless, because any U.S. citizen is required by law to report any/all off-shore accounts to the IRS.

I took the liberty of quoting this from something I read on the Internet.

DISCLAIMER: I cannot say whether or not this may apply to the OP or ANY reader, so please consult an expert, such as an international tax attorney.

"What?s Reportable?

There are two separate annual reporting requirements. You must:

? Acknowledge that you have signatory or ?other? authority over one or more foreign accounts each year on Schedule B of your federal income tax return.
? File Form TD F 90-22.1 (the ?foreign bank account reporting? or ?FBAR? form) with the Treasury Department. (This is a simple form and it only takes a few minutes to complete.)

If you don?t comply with these requirements, you could face severe penalties. You could be fined a civil penalty up to US$10,000 for negligent noncompliance and criminal penalties up to five years. You could even get both, for ?willful? noncompliance.

You should also report various ?bank-like? offshore financial relationships.

For instance, several non-U.S.-based ?digital gold? services permit users to make financial transactions over the Internet in gold-backed accounts. While these services clearly aren?t banks, they carry out ?bank-like? functions. For that reason, the safest course is to report such accounts.

I also recommend reporting foreign variable annuities or life insurance contracts as a foreign account. According to U.S. Treasury Department analyst Elizabeth B. Witzgall:

?The position of the Department of the Treasury is that premium payments for insurance policies with cash surrender value or other investment features constitute ?deposits? within the meaning of Form 90-22.1. Therefore, if a life insurance policy is a ?whole life? or other type of policy with investment value, then it is an ?other financial account? subject to reporting.?

Some offshore promoters claim that you don?t need to report the existence of an offshore account if it?s not in your name and/or you don?t have signature authority over it.

Let me set the record straight. If you hold a debit card for your offshore account, and you can use the card to withdraw money, or even have absent signatory authority over the account, then you clearly have ?other authority? over it. And that means you must report it.
?IF YOU?RE A U. S. CITIZEN YOU HAVE A RELATIONSHIP WITH THE IRS, WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.?

Four Non-Reportable Offshore Investments

The reporting rules suggest several possible exceptions:

* Securities purchased directly from an offshore bank. A securities account is a reportable account. But if you purchase securities from an offshore bank, without opening an account, and keep the certificates in your safety deposit box, the reporting requirements don?t appear to be triggered.
* Real estate. Direct ownership of real property (including timeshare arrangements) in a foreign country isn?t a foreign account. But you must report income from your real estate holdings, wherever they?re located.
* Safekeeping arrangements. Valuables purchased outside the United States and placed directly into a non-U.S. private vault don?t appear to trigger the reporting requirements.
* Warehouse receipts and similar instruments. Certificates that represent ownership of a specified quantity of precious metals or other commodity, stored outside the United States, may not be reportable. A certificate should provide for ?allocated? or ?non-fungible? storage qualify. This means you own specific barrels, bars, coins, etc. that aren?t available to meet other claims of the warehouse company. Commodities held in non-allocated, pooled, or fungible form may be reportable.
* Foreign safety deposit box. Neither a safety deposit box in a foreign bank, nor the contents in it, constitutes a foreign bank account. However, if you open an account with the bank to secure the box, it counts toward the US$10,000 reporting threshold." -by Mark Nestmann

Best advice of the thread, while not in the North Coast I believe the Central Bank have a branch in Santiago, you can take the trip as a pleasure one. Here is their contact info in Santiago:

Oficina Regional
Autopista Duarte km 11/2
Santiago de los Caballeros,
Rep?blica Dominicana
Tel:(809)583-1151
Fax: (809)581-5029

Link - Banco Central de la Repblica Dominicana

linmagic

Sep 20, 2009
I feel a bit like "there's a hole in my bucket..." The advice given is that the Central Bank has the best rate in pesos but didn't I read somewhere that CB had stopped dealing in CDs? Forgive my confusion, it is Friday!

Lin

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
..the Central Bank has the best rates for CDs in Pesos.

I feel a bit like "there's a hole in my bucket..." The advice given is that the Central Bank has the best rate in pesos but didn't I read somewhere that CB had stopped dealing in CDs? Forgive my confusion, it is Friday!
Lin

linmagic is right, that's why I posted the link to the BC website. Unfortunately, I didn't include bizadvisors quote so those that didn't read his post didn't see the relevance.

Now I'm out of this, that's for sure.