born abroad

alina2838

Apr 20, 2009
my daughter was born in the dominican republic and i am an american citizen she just recieved american citizenship from the u.s. embassy in santo domingo
my question is does she have to enter the u.s. in a certain time frame?
because she was born in the dominican republic but has u.s. citizenship
by the way she is only 14 months old

alina2838

Apr 20, 2009
she also has an american passport
an american birth certificate
and a social security number and card

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
US citizens enter the US as they please unless they have legal issues to prohibit that. Unlikely a 14-year-old would have such legal issues, but not unheard of. At 16 she won't even need parent's authorization to travel on her own.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
If you look at the Cons. Rpt. of Birth Abroad you'll see that your daughter became a U.S. citizen the moment she was born. It was only the paperwork that took a while. Unlike a naturalized citizen she can never have this citizenship taken away. She could give it up on her own someday if she chose to. She never has to set foot in the U.S. in order to "activate" or maintain her citizenship. (Of course she is also a permanent citizen of D.R. too. Lucky girl!)

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
First you get the Dominican birth cert. , then you get that legalized, then you take the legalized certificate to the embasay and get a consular report of birth abroad. That report is used in place of the birth certificate for all American paperwork (passports etc). Of course it's all a lot more involved than that but thats the basic procedure.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
she has a dominican birth certificate and the american one the consulate issued

To answer your original question, there is no time frame for you daughter entering the USA. She has both birth certificates so all she needs is an American passport and you're good go any time.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
[

:ermm: Would she not have had a Dominican birth certificate
http://www.dr1.com/forums/757122-post6.html
she has an
an american birth certificate :ermm:

As the father is Dominican citizen, she's also able to get her Dominican citizenship as well...

The civil status of both parents has little legal say on this. I mean being divorced/separated, etc...

You can't get a Dominican BC (not possible as she was born in England), but she can with ease get her Dominican citizenship!

As you have little to no contact with the father, your best option is to hire a reputable lawyer (DR1's Guzman comes to mind). The faster you do that, the faster you'll bring this issue to a happy ending!
This is from another thread