Delta buddy pass checked baggage question (urgent)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
please I need some quick and correct answers.
I have a friend who is traveling on delta buddy pass from mad-jfk and then jfk to sti. she bought her buddypass ticket in march of this year and now returning from spain to sti. The checked baggage rules for buddy pass change so often that i am a bit confused.
I think from mad to jfk leg she is allowed 2 checked bags 50 lbs each. then i am not sure if she can bring both bags checked in to jfk-to sti (next day flight May, 23rd). As`far as I remember she can only bring in 1 checked bag from jfk to sti but her original departure city has allowed her 2 checked in bags and the final destination is sti. So they differ.
A side note: Now I thought i was also allowed 1 checked bag from jfk-sti ( am a companion pass traveler) but apparently i was allowed 2.
So i am confused a bit.
She will be traveling from mad to jfk on 22nd of this month (friday) and then jfk to sti the next morning (over-night in NY).
If she is allowed 2 bags from madrid to jfk then is she still allowed to take 2 bags from jfk to sti?
please help, I need answers quickly as she needs to pack soon.
Thanks.

PS. this question is directed towards real airline employees who know the correct answers. if you guys are doing google to help me. No thanks, i already know more than many of you guys who are guessing. i want latino2002, santobonao, stiop or anyone else who works for delta and is up-to-date with the current info.
Thanks in advance.
AZB

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Aftab,

If she got his ticket from MAD to STI, she can travel with 2 50lbs bags.
Even if she would fly from JFK to STI - since it's an international flight - she can carry 2 50 lbs bags.
Last August from Atlanta-Santo Domingo it was no problem to bring 2 50 lbs bags.
I hope some one from a travel agency would chime in and gives an updated info.

The Hun

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
thanks hun, but we are talking about different things. What you are telling me, does not apply to her ticket.
The airline people who will read this know exactly what i am talking about.
She is flying S4 buddy pass. the baggage policy from jfk to sti is different. She is a non-rev.
Thanks hun but this is not the info i am looking for. But I know you want to help me.
My question is a bit more deep and only can be answered by a delta airline employee.
AZB

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hola AZB...hot from the Deltanet.

Delta/NW will implement a fee for passengers traveling internationally that check 2 or more bags. The 2nd baggage fee will be $50 and will be applicable to all Delta international destinations worldwide. This fee will be applicable for anyone who purchased a ticket on/after April 21, 2009, for travel on/after July 1, 2009. Exemptions for this fee will include:

? First and Business Class passengers

? SkyMiles and WorldPerks Elite Members including Flying Colonels (EP/PM/GM/FO/FC)

? Active Duty Military members traveling on orders

? Passengers who purchased tickets prior to April 21, 2009

? Non-revenue and Company Business travelers including crew, jumpseat, buddy pass and family fare travelers

? Passengers who are confirmed on a Full Y class economy ticket.

Is Delta the first carrier (U.S. or international) to charge for bags internationally?

No. British Airways charges Economy class passengers a fee to check a second bag on certain international routes.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
ok latino, goodm imfo. so i take it she can bring in 2 bags, checked in from mad. now the question is, can she bring 2 chacked bags from jfk to sti? as far as I remember, there were buddypass restrictions for jfk-sti or sdq passengers to only 1 checked bag.
I think they have changed the rules.

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
ok latino, goodm imfo. so i take it she can bring in 2 bags, checked in from mad. now the question is, can she bring 2 chacked bags from jfk to sti? as far as I remember, there were buddypass restrictions for jfk-sti or sdq passengers to only 1 checked bag.
I think they have changed the rules.

Well that happend last year...not sure if they uplift the embargo for the JFK-STI or SDQ markets.

Bag Limits - Nonrev checked bag limits for some int'l routes still in effect
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
October 14, 2008

One checked bag limit applies to travel in either direction for routes listed below:

Atlanta and Johannesburg, South Africa (JNB)
Atlanta and Lagos, Nigeria (LOS)
Atlanta and Guadalajara, Mexico (GDL)
Atlanta and Guatemala City (GUA)
Atlanta and Dakar, Senegal (DKR)
Atlanta and San Salvador, El Salvador (SAL)
Atlanta and Managua, Nicaragua (MGA)
New York (JFK) and Cape Town, South Africa (CPT)
New York (JFK) and Georgetown, Guyana (GEO)
New York (JFK) and cities in the Dominican Republic (Santiago ? STI; Santo Domingo ? SDQ; Punta Cana ? PUJ)
New York (JFK) and Port of Spain, Trinidad (POS)
New York (JFK) and San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU)
New York (JFK) and Accra, Ghana (ACC)
New York (JFK) and Mexico City, Mexico (MEX)
New York (JFK) and Dakar, Senegal (DKR)

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hey AZb...and for those who ride on main cabin.
As a 1st of jun, can enjoying unlimited complimentary beer and wine throughout the flight.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
wow latino, too bad I stopped drinking. I will still stick to my Mrs T bloody mary mix (virgin ofcourse). Come to think of it, I don't remember the last time I had a drink on delta aircraft. I always fly 1st class and drinks are always free but I never ordered one. I love Mrs T bloody mary mix (without alcohol). I always drink 2 cans with lemon.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
update:
this may concern the non-rev travel folks. My friend was able to bring 2 checked bags from madrid to sti, via jfk (1 night stop-over). I guess she was allowed the 2 bags because she was coming from madrid and the jfk was only a stop-over.
Now my brother flew the same sti-jfk route and he was only allowed to check in 1 bag (due to embargo). He is a delta employee. So I guess the embargo is still in effect.
Now what i don't understand is that when I flew jfk-sti (companion travel pass non-rev), the automatic checkin machine told me I was allowed 2 bags as checked in luggage. So could it be the girl at sti airport made a mistake with my brother? She is not delta employee but a contract agent.
So i am still not sure.
AZB

note: if this post seem to make sense to some people, please understand, you are not understanding it. This thread is directed towards airline employees (delta). They are the only folks who understand my concerns. The contents of this thread are not as simple as one might think. The general airline rules don't apply to us. we are non-revenue.

agomera

Nov 16, 2005
AZB,

Some of us who are not non-revs also understand the rules for nonrevs (NRSA, buddy passes...), so, although the rules are quite diferent, you cannot make the generalization that "Delta employees" are the only ones who understand your concern. It's not rocket science.

To try to answer your question, the reservation system is the same for everyone (non-revs, revenue passengers). I've seen a glitch with the baggage allowance and I even tested it to make sure I was right. I'm a Silver Medallion, and, with the current baggage allowance, I'm allowed to check 2 Bags @ 70 LBS each, and, if I get upgraded to first or business on my upgrade window, I get 3 bags @ 70 LBS. However, every time I check-in online or at the Kiosk, even if I'm not confirmed in the premium cabin, it allows me to check 3 bags. If I cancel the check-in and go straight to the counter, the agents always tell me that I can only check-in 2 bags (according to the baggage allowance). (Happens in Salt Lake City all the time).

Hopefully you can find a logic into this. Looks like the Kiosk system was not reprogrammed after the embargoes, so that's probably why you found such discrepancies with the luggage allowance.

I'm glad I found a non-rev who might answer a question that I have and no one seems to have the answer, and this is kinda out of topic:
On a flight with BusinessElite service (Let's say ATL-BOM or JFK-TLV), in an oversold situation in Coach, and with both medallions and non-revs, what happens first, An Op-Up for the medallion, or the accommodation of non-revs in BE and then Op-UP for medallions if there's still space left and seats needed in coach????

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
AZB, one bag limit still applies in either direction for JFK to STI, SDQ and PUJ. That means 1 piece per passenger.
Does not apply to connecting passengers such as your friend from Madrid.

Agomera - to answer your question.. revenue passengers, baggage and cargo are always first. In an oversold situation nonrevenue passengers will "not" be boarded. Nonrevenue passengers are only boarded "space available" and a revenue passenger or cargo would never be displaced over a nonrev.

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
AZB, one bag limit still applies in either direction for JFK to STI, SDQ and PUJ. That means 1 piece per passenger.
Does not apply to connecting passengers such as your friend from Madrid.

Agomera - to answer your question.. revenue passengers, baggage and cargo are always first. In an oversold situation nonrevenue passengers will "not" be boarded. Nonrevenue passengers are only boarded "space available" and a revenue passenger or cargo would never be displaced over a nonrev.

ccarabella..how are you....
Well thank you for the info....I did post the info on this Thread, for JFk..

Agomera..on a oversold flt...we will upgrade medallions fisrt and them full fare passenger to international business class...as a ccarabella mention above...nonrev are the last to get on board....

agomera

Nov 16, 2005
Thanks Latino. I do know that one of the benefits for employees and buddy pass riders is that they are accommodated starting on the highest class of service, space available, but, flying out of NRT a year ago, the GA processed the standby and non-rev passengers and then upgraded the medallions.

I asked because although we aren't eligible for International Upgrades (except for central america, the caribbean, and some destinations in south america), it is good to know that there's a procedure followed in oversold situations.