What does tigere mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzahara06

May 21, 2009
Why do Dominican men refer to each other as "tigere"? What does that mean? I was told a "tigere" is a "player" [term meaning the man is a gigolo who LOVES LOTS OF WOMEN]! Is that right?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
not that way

Why do Dominican men refer to each other as "tigere"? What does that mean? I was told a "tigere" is a "player" [term meaning the man is a gigolo who LOVES LOTS OF WOMEN]! Is that right?

I have heard it more used as street thieves - as in hold onto your wallet and watch your stuff since there are hoodlums around

can't imagine that men would use it as a complement

and to be a player here is a considered a complement

here there are bragging rights associated with how many women one has
how many children by various women

like - my grandfather had 50 children -- QUE HOMBRE!!!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
It could be used as a compliment.

If you wanted to call someone 'sharp' or 'agil' things like that.......

if your friend just finished helping you fixed your car, which no one could do, you would say' wao pancho, ere un tigere, arreglando carro!!

carmbrus

May 6, 2009
I live with a Dominican family which comprises of a recent high school graduate girl and a 15 year old boy and we always call the boy a tiguere because he's always talking like he's a gangster, in rediculous amounts of slang and like he's real cool. And from the kids, they say that that is a tiguere.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
It could be used as a compliment.

If you wanted to call someone 'sharp' or 'agil' things like that.......

if your friend just finished helping you fixed your car, which no one could do, you would say' wao pancho, ere un tigere, arreglando carro!!

Yes you are right at this point. But remember that this word can be offensive too as other poster said all depends where, when and how you use it.

El tigre gallo
JJ

May 31, 2005
Example.

1. Muchacho pero y esta ropa de tiguere.

This is grandpa telling you that he does not like your baggy pants and xxxlarge tshirt.

2. Mira que tiguere.

This you would say to someone that is doing something that you would consider smart, innovative, etc or something that you never thought of.

3. My little cousin used to be called tiguere because he would dare to do things that other kids his age were not doing. Such as riding an adult bike when he was only four years old.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
so basically it can be an insult or a compliment - probably best left to dominican speakers.........a bit like bad can be bad or it can be good or it can be rotton lol

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Yes you are right at this point. But remember that this word can be offensive too as other poster said all depends where, when and how you use it.

El tigre gallo
JJ

Yes of course.

JR i agree with your statement. is a good idea.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

El tigre gallo
JJ

Bachata, If I were you I woulnd't name myself as a Gallo, como eres Dominicano debes saber porque LOL.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My husband will describe a strong woman with attitude as a "tiguerona" - and this is meant as a compliment.

gibbs

May 31, 2005
so basically it can be an insult or a compliment - probably best left to dominican speakers.........a bit like bad can be bad or it can be good or it can be rotton lol

Basically if you are somewhere where you need to use that word for real, you should probably be somewhere else.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Bachata, If I were you I woulnd't name myself as a Gallo, como eres Dominicano debes saber porque LOL.

El tigre gallo is the line leader with the gens in the farm, in the DR when a man is dressed as gallo is good because it mean ?brave? or good looking man. But if some one call you as ?gallo loco? you are in problems.

Hahaha

JJ

Status
Not open for further replies.