dolphin packages at ocean world

Status
Not open for further replies.

iangillis

Apr 1, 2009
afternoon guys.

is it really as cloudy and overcast over there as the satellite images consistently seem to be showing ? :(

question about the dolphin swim/encounter at OW... I've gathered from quite a few online reviews that despite being the cheaper of the two, the Encounter is longer and more involved with the dolphin than the Swim is... anyone have an opnion on this please?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Hello from Ocean World. I can tell you for sure that the Dolphin Swim has less people and more interaction time with the animals, compared with the Dolphin Encounter. Some people confuse the two programs, which may account for conflicting reviews.
The Encounter takes place on a floating platform in waist deep water, which may be more suitable for kids or people that have problems swimming or getting in and out of water via ladders.

May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
dolphins and weather

Don't fret too much about the weather; once more it has been a very sunny and hot day, but in May, we tend to get thunderstorms at night and clouds that 'sit' over the hills.

The Dolphin swim, if you don't mind the Dolphins appearing suddenly underneath you in deep water, is amazing. Either way, Ocean World is a very good day out and I'm always impressed how the owners or managers have managed to make a very 1st world experience in a developing country.

iangillis

Apr 1, 2009
thnaks guys. would it be true to say then, that the Swim involves everything offered by the encounter, plus the 'swim' bit?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
thnaks guys. would it be true to say then, that the Swim involves everything offered by the encounter, plus the 'swim' bit?

I don't think that would be quite fair but I would say that the two are just different: the environment is different (platform vs. free water), the individualness (is that a word?) is different (Swim group is much smaller than the Encounter group), the individual face time with the dolphins is different (swim has more individual one on one time) and the Swim has more personal activities, some of which are not a part of the Encounter, at all..

BTW - take Conchman at his word; no one can give you better info than he can.

Gregg

aross

Nov 15, 2007
in a nutshell...'yes'

If you have young children, the encounter is very thrilling for them and they get to touch, hug and dance with the dolphins. There is an minimum age limit for the swim which maybe Conchman can explain.

I took my grandchildren (18 mths and 3 years) to the encounter and it was a huge success that they still talk about 6 months later. Be sure to have their pictures taken for posterity.

And it is well worth the price

Last edited:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
In the Swim, minimum age is 6 and children 6 to 12 need to have a parent in the water with them, in the same session.

The Encounter has no age registrictions as long as parents are with the children.

gsoto

Jul 31, 2009
oceanworld

hi,
i have 3 children and will b in DR (santiago)on July 3/09, for 2.5 wks.
1)Is there anyway I Can get discount tix to get into OW ?
2)what is the current cost for the dophin encounter ?
3)If i buy the tix there will they be less expensive ?
4) What is the difference between OW and Dolphinworld, or any other co's (who are the others ?) ? Are the price relatively the same ?

thank you

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
hi,
i have 3 children and will b in DR (santiago)on July 3/09, for 2.5 wks.
1)Is there anyway I Can get discount tix to get into OW ?
2)what is the current cost for the dophin encounter ?
3)If i buy the tix there will they be less expensive ?
4) What is the difference between OW and Dolphinworld, or any other co's (who are the others ?) ? Are the price relatively the same ?

thank you

You may need to clarify the date as that one has passed...

1) Generally OW tickets are not discounted by anyone however occasionally there are discounts to General Admission Tickets for travelers who fly certain airlines (Spirit did this for example) and some hotels occasionally have discount tickets for their guests - but this is not common.

2) All current prices may be found at Ocean World Adventure Park, Marina - Eventbrite

3) Generally, no - at least in my experience.

4) OW is the name of the owners and operators of the actual marine adventure park in Cofresi, near Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. The family also owns and operates facilities in the Bahamas. Dolphin World is a website based in Ft. Lauderdale, FL which is a reseller of dolphin programs at a number of dolphin marine sites throughout the world - AFAIK they do not own or operate any parks but are only a provider of tickets. As far as I can tell their ticket prices are not discounted.

For more info about OW see their website at OceanWorldAdventurePark.com | Caribbean Dolphin Park, Puerto Plata - Dominican Republic

Gregg

P.S. - If you have a Dominican cedula there are reduced prices, AFAIK, for DR residents but that might only be for General Admission. You can contact OW for clarification.

Last edited:

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
You may get lucky with the swim. I did it this past tuesday and it was just me and my 7 year old daughter. You actually do swim with two dolfins holding onto the fins. You also lay flat on the water and they two dolphins come from behind with their noses to your feet and push you up out of the water. Is quite an experience to do.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
A friend of mine did the dolphin swim last week... then returned a few days later to do the 'trainer for a day' program. She was thrilled with both experiences and found the facilities, programs, and employees to be absolutely top notch!

Status
Not open for further replies.