Marriage between Dominican women EU man

jean2399

May 26, 2009
Hi! I (38) am a Hungarian (EU - Schengen) citizen. I have a 2 years relationship with a Dominican girl (19). She has no job at the moment, no higher education. We have been recently denied a VISA with official invitation. So there is nothing else left than to get married as we would like to live together in the EU.

I would like to know:

1. If I have my birth certificate, single status translated to Spanish and my passport and her papers ready how much time does it take to get married?

2. How much would it cost. We are practicaly quite poor, so I would like to spare money, but I don't want any more risks.

3. How much time does it take from the date of marriage to get the VISA.

There is no Hungarian embassy in DR, but we are ready to fly to CUBA, no problem. She doesn't need a VISA there.

4. Can they still deny the VISA if we are married?

Thanks.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
From the legal page

Marriage requirements:

The Dominican Republic does not require you to get a marriage license. You need only to register to be married. The Oficialia del Estado Civil charges RD$50 for this. This is the first step prior to getting a marriage certificate.

Submit the following paperwork before the Oficial?a del Estado Civil for the preparation of your marriage certificate. Note that you may send photocopies in advance and bring the original with you:

Passport
Birth certificate
Single status affidavit translated by an official translator into Spanish
Divorce certificate translated into Spanish by an official translator, if applicable

(Legal transcripts of the birth certificates, single status affidavit and divorce act need to be prepared at the Dominican consulate in the country where the documents were issued.)

You will also need two witnesses. If they are foreigners, they will need to have passports as identification. If they are Dominicans, "cedulas" are sufficient.

People who have been divorced in the DR under the Special Divorces Law need to wait 24 hours prior to getting married.

Where did she apply for the visitor visa? Maybe they can tell you how long it takes to immigrate to Hungary.

jean2399

May 26, 2009
Embassy

Hello! Thx, I have read all this stuff before. She had to apply in Cuba by mail. I don't want to have contact with those peple. I am doing my homework here in Hungary. I just thought someone had similar experience. Can someone answer my questions or some of them?

Johana

May 24, 2006
Jean,

1. When I had my papers translated and legalized by the Dominican Consulate here in Canada they were only valid for 3 months.

2. The cost of your wedding will depend entirely on the type of wedding you are having. There used to be a price list on the Junto Central website JCE.DO - Junta Central Electoral de la Rep?blica Dominicana which listed the judge's fee (but I couldn't find it this morning). There are different fees for 2 Dominicans marrying, 1 Dominican and 1 foreigner and 2 foreigners. There are also different prices depending on if you go to the judge's office or if the judge goes offsite to your wedding location. Your fiancee should be able to get this information for you.

3. I'm not sure how EU countries work for issuing visas. Is there no local government website that can give you information? This is what we have in Canada.

4. Again, not sure about the process for your country, but yes in Canada there are cases where a spouse is denied a visa.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
cost of judge

got married in december, one dominican one foreigner and it was 8000 pesos for an off site wedding, half of that if you got to the judges office

jean2399

May 26, 2009
Thanks for the answers. So how much time does it take from the moment you apply until you are married? Can you apply by fax? Thx. Jan

Johana

May 24, 2006
I think most people pick a wedding date and then find out if the judge is available. If he is, then you fax the documents over in advance. Then get married on the wedding date.

We got married outside of a resort so my husband made the arrangements with the judge. He went to meet with the judge and told him the wedding date, location and time and "booked" the judge. He brought a copy of my single status afadavit, translated birth certificate and a copy of my friend's passport page (she was a witness).

We did go see the judge a couple of days before the wedding and he actually went over the paperwork then. He showed up for the wedding, married us and then we picked up our marriage certificate the next day. My husband had told the judge in advance that I would need to have the marriage certificate before I left to come back home.

Your fiancee or her family should be able to help you make the arrangements with the judge for her area.

How much time until you can get married will depend on when you can book the judge, when you can get your paperwork and when you can travel.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Lambada,

Where do I get myself a 'Single status affidavit'.
Who issues this?
Do I just write a declaration that I was never married and have it notarised.

(Just Curious - you never know, somebody might want to marry me one day - stranger things have happened...)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Lambada,

Where do I get myself a 'Single status affidavit'.
Who issues this?

You can borrow mine :). They used to do them at the Consulate, you could ask Mendez if they still do. I think you have to swear an oath so self-written whilst cursing wouldn't really crack it.

No idea where else. It isn't something I've ever needed.

Just checked with BB - it has to be duly authorised Consular or Embassy official. And yes you do swear an oath.

Last edited:

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
single affidavit

i went to the canadian embassy and they made it up for m e. I assume they check the canadian records to ensure it was correct but i don't know for sure.