Southwest and Goal are coming to SDQ

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Man I would love for southwest to start flying to The DR. I didn't think the flew outside the US though, so that would be a first for them.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Southwest considers DR
Ken Hassard, commercial director for Aerodom, the operator of the Las Americas International Airport, has confirmed that Southwest, the airline that transported the most passengers in the US last year, is seriously considering flying to Santo Domingo this year from Washington, D.C./Baltimore (BWI) Airport. This would allow people in Washington, Maryland and Virginia to fly to the DR non-stop for the first time.
Cid Wilson, former president of the Dominican American Roundtable sees more in the opportunity. "Since BWI is a major hub for Southwest Airlines, they will be able to capture passengers from Rhode Island, Long Island (New York) and Chicago (since Southwest also has a hub at Chicago-Midway Airport), all of which have largest 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation Dominican communities," he explains.
Furthermore he says that the Dominican community, while it's true that it's growing, is not large enough in Texas, Arizona or Nevada for those other hubs to play a significant role, but regular American tourist passengers from those regions could take advantage of the airline and connect through BWI. He expects the airline would keep its brand identity as a low-cost airline and make connecting cost-effective, enticing new travelers. "I would expect their fairs to be competitive which is what they are known for," he says.
Making matters even better, Southwest has already announced the start of its New York La Guardia and Chicago Midway daily nonstops and three daily nonstops between LGA and BWI for 28 June. This would potentially allow it to capture passengers from the New York area in the future, for continuing service onto Santo Domingo. Note that Southwest announced fares of US$49 on the Chicago-NY connection. Wilson understands that a BWI-SDQ (or a BWI-STI) could give Southwest a strategic opportunity to take advantage of the growing Dominican population in the Northeast and Chicago and take some market share from competitors.

From here Dominican Republic Travel News - May 26, 2009

For the story in Spanish, see Buen acceso aéreo hace o vence a un destino turístico - DiarioLibre.com

Apr 3, 2009
Non-Stop Party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am more excited about direct flights on Gol from Santo Domingo to Sao Paulo!

-BB :D

PrincesseEm

Dec 2, 2008
I checked press releases back as far as Feb/09 on the Southwest website and found no mention whatsoever of the Dominican Republic or Santo Domingo. To be honest, I would be surprised if they made the DR their first foray outside of the USA.

Apr 26, 2002
Southwest has been making noises lately about needing to expand internationally to stay competitive and independent. The DR is a relatively low risk place to start - as other low cost carriers have proven. And there would be no need for Southwest to alter its exclusively 737 fleet.

Ken Hassard has tons of convincing population and demographic statistics. It's not really known how much Southwest pays attention to airport-prepared air service marketing efforts (I, for one, would pay to know), but Ken's are particularly compelling - and he has been successful at this in the past with Jet Blue and Spirit.

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
Southwest will have no problem opening an route into the dominican republic. Gol most likely they not going to start to Santo domingo cause they are suspending many international routes.

Memo

Jul 30, 2005
Las Galeras
www.elotrowa.com
Southwest from BWI to Sto. Dom.?

Any news on Southwest's reported plan to fly direct from Baltimore-Washington to Santo Domingo?

That flight would tickle me, no end!

Bill