tourista road (mountain road)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Has any one taken this route from Sossua to Santiago in the last few days. I have heard that the road is in worse shape, if that is possible, since the recent rains. I was planning on going that way friday.
Thanks

Bob K

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I went that way a couple of weeks ago, during the day you should be fine, but i would not take that route after dark.
It's just puzzles me how the dominican government does nothing to improve this road. Sure you can take another route to santiago, but how about all the people who live on and around this road.

And with the road conditions you wont save as much time as you think..

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Traveled on it this past Saturday. It had several areas that you must use caution, but they are clearly marked with a high stick-flag. Also there was many locals filling in holes and asking for donations for their deeds, which is a good thing for all of us who choose to use this route.

Also there was many locals filling in holes and asking for donations for their deeds, which is a good thing for all of us who choose to use this route.

Not nessesarily a bad thing except if you travel the road often enough you will realize that those locals are standing next to the same hole and making believe they are repairing the same hole for days at a time, So dont give anything to those scammers!!!! ;)

Nov 25, 2008
its not the government fault the road is worst, their is a fault line in the mountains in which their is a lot of earth movement.
the solution is to make 4 lanes in the old highway to PP

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
its not the government fault the road is worst, their is a fault line in the mountains in which their is a lot of earth movement.
the solution is to make 4 lanes in the old highway to PP

This is true, but it *is* the government's fault when they pay to have the road repaved and a (probably large) portion of the money goes in someone's pocket so when they decide to do the work, the money only pays for a shoddy patch job...that lasts until the next big rain...

While there are alternative routes, this is a major artery between Santiago and the North Coast and could be one of the nicest and most beautiful routes in the country if the road was in good shape. There's a reason it's called La Turistica!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Actually Jorge, that is the old highway....

the road through the tunnel is where the railroad sort of used to go...the road was improved many years ago..

HB

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
As long as it is passable i will probably take it Friday. I will use the truck and not the RAV-4. It still is 20 min quicker for us then taking the Moca road. It used to be 40 min quicker...
i will post on the condition when we get back.

Bob K

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Not nessesarily a bad thing except if you travel the road often enough you will realize that those locals are standing next to the same hole and making believe they are repairing the same hole for days at a time, So dont give anything to those scammers!!!! ;)

When I see a father figure working on this road along with some young children, I believe that my 10 pesos is teaching them that doing a good deed provides a reward. Then again, I always see the glass halve full!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.