11 Days in Santo Domingo

UptownEastSideBX

May 27, 2009
Once again, I've been suckered into coming to DR for a little vacation with my girlfriend.
Actually, who am I kidding, I was dying to come but didn't really want to seem that over enthusiastic. I'm coming with a friend of mine, myself and my girlfriend. We are staying with her family in Isabelita. I was there in December for two weeks and we did a decent amount of traveling. We went to Moca, Pino, Piedro Blanco. This time we are looking to do some other things and travel around more, maybe Saona, Puerto Plata, Sosua, Santiago.

Any suggestions? Possible day trips? We have rented a Mitsubishi XLS (Cara de gato) and looking to make the most of it. Thanks.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I agree with Windeguy, you really would see a lot, but, I don't think you would have enough time to enjoy the best of the DR. Once you see the beautiful beaches on the north coast or the magnificent mountain vistas in Jarabacoa, you will probably be sorry you did not stay a while. If you can swing it, pick out a few places, stay a couple of days, and then, as Windeguy suggests, swing back to the capitol via the new Samana Highway. You can take Highway 1 from SD to Vega/Jarabacoa, visit a couple of days, go up to POP/Sosoua/Cabarette/Rio San Juan, visit a few more, go to Las Terrranas/Samana/Las Galaras, and then take the highway for a two hour trip back to Santo Domingo. You could spend much more time in either one of those places. I would be willing to bet that this will not be your last trip north of the capitol and that you will not be anchored in SD on any future visit to the DR. Enjoy and please post a trip report.

UptownEastSideBX

May 27, 2009
Thanks

thanks guys. It looks like we might be going up through Moca to Cabarete, Puerto Plata and down through Santiago and La Vega and then kind of winging it from there, maybe try and take a side trip to Lago Enriquillo or Parque Los Haitises, not sure on those two though.

Is it safe to say if we end up spending more time in Cabarete and Puerto Plata we can get decent rates on hotel rooms for the nights? I'm pretty sure we can just curious as to what the general thoughts out there are.

UptownEastSideBX

May 27, 2009
also, meant to note that this will definitely not be the last time, this is really just the start of a bourgeoning love for the island and for my new extended family down there. That being said, I don't need to squeeze everything in this time around...