Re: to those people who misunderstood the message!

R

Rum Runner

Re: to those people who misunderstood the message!

I my self have been toying with the idea of moving to a third world country. Here is what I have learned from people who have done it. Always leave a way back to where you came from. (don't burn bridges behind you). You would figure the first 6 months would be a trial to see if you can stand it. The support you have where you are currently, may not exist in the DR. Although you like the laid back attuide. When you work with some of these people, laid back may drive you crazy. As in when they say tomorrow. It really means not today maybe next week. Some people who say they are your friends are really mooches trying to see how much they can get from you. To create a strong friendship takes time and patience. Being pushey and demanding will not create one and may create enemies. Unless you are mega-rich and live in a very nice complex. There are shortcomings you will have to deal with. As in electricity, black outs are common. There are devices that would be best left where you came from. As in weed whackers. Yes they are a convenience. But paying some one to wack the weeds is more efficient and helps the local people. Because you look different, talk different and dress different. You will stand out and some hucksters may see you as a easy mark. Learn where the boundaries are and firmly learn to say no without insulting. Learn Spanish as fast as possible. Is it easy to live in the DR, no but it can be very rewarding.