Parcels from UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esmile

May 31, 2009

Hello all,

I need to get a parcel from England to Pueto Plata. I have a buisness address that i can use to send it to, but how do i go about it?

Any informations is really appreciated.

Thank you :cheeky:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You're welcome, but I have to ask, you live in England and you didn't know about the Post Office? Have a look at this site for further information:
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm

Whichever service you use for a parcel to Puerto Plata, track it and tell the recipient when it arrives in the DR. A few days later they should go to PP post office with their cedula to collect it. Otherwise it'll sit there and they won't know it has arrived. PP post office won't deliver because parcel has to be opened and checked in front of recipient at PP Post Office.

Esmile

May 31, 2009
:)

:cheeky: yes i do live in England, and have heard of the post office!! ...without it my ebay acc wud be useless!! ... but wasn't sure about the process once the parcel arrived in Puerta Plata.

Cedula : is this the tracking code?

Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
:cheeky: yes i do live in England, and have heard of the post office!! ...without it my ebay acc wud be useless!! ... but wasn't sure about the process once the parcel arrived in Puerta Plata.

Cedula : is this the tracking code?

Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated.

You're welcome. The cedula is the ID card most Dominicans & foreign residents have. The Post Office here won't hand over parcel unless the name on the parcel is the same as the name on cedula, they get somewhat bureaucratic about this ;), so first check if your recipient has a cedula. If yes, fine. If no, suggest they find a colleague who does have and arrange with them, & you put that person's name on parcel.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Thanks for that useful information, Lambada. I had mentally written off any possibility of sending parcels from England. Evidently I was too pessimistic.

Does the parcel still have to be addressed to the person's own address (or what passes for an address in the DR) or (as I imagine) simply to them @ Puerto Plata Post Office?

Any ballpark figures for delivery leadtimes?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Thanks for that useful information, Lambada. I had mentally written off any possibility of sending parcels from England. Evidently I was too pessimistic.

Does the parcel still have to be addressed to the person's own address (or what passes for an address in the DR) or (as I imagine) simply to them @ Puerto Plata Post Office?

Any ballpark figures for delivery leadtimes?

No I don't think you were being overly pessimistic, london777. There are still.......issues ;). If the question had been 'is it a good idea to send a parcel' I would probably have answered with all the downsides, which you already know, but since that wasn't the question asked, I responded to what was asked (yeah 16+ years aplatanada :cheeky:). However, there is a better chance using a service which provides tracking & signing for, like Airsure for letters or Parcelforce for parcels. Interestingly I am currently awaiting the arrival of an author contract; the Editor told office in UK to Fedex it, but they 'sent by some form of recorded delivery' :rolleyes:. That was 3 weeks ago. I'll keep you posted as to whether it ever gets here.

Three months ago a couple from Milton Keynes who had had a wonderful time out here, sent a cellphone to a local in Cabarete to say thank you for looking after them. They emailed me a month later to say he hadn't received it, so I sent him to the Post Office with his c?dula. On his third attempt he was able to retrieve it; they were sooo happy but as they said, if I hadn't told them he had to go in person with ID, he wouldn't have known it had arrived (because they don't phone you to tell you), so he & they would have been waiting.....and the longer the item remains unclaimed the greater the risk for...er.....employee sequestration.

I wouldn't address your item to Inposdom, no, they might think it's intended as a gift for them. Use the best address you have for recipient. It'll wait at the Post Office anyway. I'd say the quickest it'll get into PP post office from UK will be 3.5-4 weeks. Tell your recipient to go to Post Office 4 weeks after you've sent it, with their c?dula. If they get 'nada', go back the next day, then a further 2 days time, then a further 2 days time etc etc. The recipient of the cellphone didn't want to do this, because he isn't the pushy type, but you have to be. My hunch is that his cellphone was already there when he first went, but he was being tested to see if he would go back, if you get my drift. If he hadn't retrieved it on the third attempt I was going to go down there & do an Aunty Lambada :). They know me!

Status
Not open for further replies.