"Cards to offer $4 mil. to D.R. 16-year-old? "

adiaz43

Jul 28, 2008
Found this interesting story online. I've heard of deals like this in soccer but never baseball.

"Wagner Mateo just turned 16, and the Cardinals are set to offer the center fielder a $4 million bonus to sign from the Dominican Republic, the Post-Gazette reports.

Well done, kid.

Cards' farm director Jeff Luhnow told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, "We have a way to evaluate the player, determine his potential and then also decide what he is worth to us. We're comfortable with how we're able to do that."

Turns out he was worth $4 million, just $250,000 shy of the record bonus given to a Dominican player.

Baseball America's Ben Badler wrote of Luhnow, "His body is already relatively mature so he might move to a corner outfield position, but scouts I've spoken with say his bat is advanced. He has a good feel for hitting and has shown the ability to hit balls out of the park to all fields."

Badler added that, although outfield prospect Miguel Angel Sano is considered the top Dominican prospect, there really isn't a difference between Sano, Mateo and catcher Gary Sanchez.

However, that doesn't mean Sano -- whom the Pirates are looking to sign -- won't use the Mateo deal as leverage, since he is widely considered the top Dominican prospect. "

Cards to offer $4 mil. to D.R. 16-year-old? - Baseball Forum - MLB Forum - Fantasy & College Baseball Forums

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
good story. for a MLB to invest 4 million is like me investing 4000 pesos. on the other hand, to a dominican 4 million is like 4 zillion. it's called an investment in your future.
my only fear now would be the leeches who come out the woodwork.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
good story. for a MLB to invest 4 million is like me investing 4000 pesos. on the other hand, to a dominican 4 million is like 4 zillion. it's called an investment in your future.
my only fear now would be the leeches who come out the woodwork.

I don't know if Dominicans have to pay taxes on these bonuses, but rest assured at least 40% of that money is already spoken for, to be divvied up between the various street agents/buscones/hustlers and whichever other parasites have managed to weasel their way into this young man's inner circle.

The rest will be divided amongst the family.

Homeboy is going to get FLEECED.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
and that's sad. in that kid's heart all he wants to do is play baseball.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
and that's sad. in that kid's heart all he wants to do is play baseball.

It is sad, because all the adults see are dollar signs. They don't care about the sport and they certainly don't care about the kids being exploited.

And that ridiculous bonus doesn't guarantee he's going to make it to the big leagues. So what happens when the money runs out(and it will) and he gets cut somewhere down the road?

I don't understand MLB. They just had a scandal whereas buscones and even scouts on major league payrolls were abusing this system, yet here they go increasing these signing bonuses.

adiaz43

Jul 28, 2008
I don't know if Dominicans have to pay taxes on these bonuses, but rest assured at least 40% of that money is already spoken for, to be divvied up between the various street agents/buscones/hustlers and whichever other parasites have managed to weasel their way into this young man's inner circle.

The rest will be divided amongst the family.

Homeboy is going to get FLEECED.

Yes this kid's money is going to be divided among many parties as usual. I just hope he keeps his head on straight. I do not want to see another "Sugar" story (great movie by the way).