2nd Annual N. Coast Charity Golf Tournament

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Last year was a smashing success for the players and certainly for the charity selected.
The charities this year will be: Sosua Kids and, Assoc. de los Amigos de los Animales de Sosua (AAAS); think of it as friends of the animals, that's easier.
Sosua Kids buys uniforms and supplies for those in need. I understand they have over 300 children identified as needing assistance, and that number is growing.
AAAS has neutered hundreds of dogs and greatly helped control street dog populations from La Union to Cabarete and done an excellent job.

We need sponsors, we need players who wish to have another great time for the causes.
DR1 has generously offered this medium to publicize and, even better, will man the beer carts again this year !!

Place: Playa Dorada Golf Club
Date: August 15
Entry: RD$3,000 per player
Tee Time: TBD
Includes: Green Fees, cart, collector's ball cap, lunch and other prizes as we progress.
Format: Texas Scramble (same as last year)
Places to sign up and pay (payment must be in advance):
Jolly Roger's Bar and Restaurant on Pedro Clisante in Sosua;
DR1 Real Estate office on same street, in Sosua;
Sosua Property Management & Services, Club Residencial Commercial Building.
Raffle prizes will be drawn again and anyone who wants to assist with a prize is encouraged.
We will have a proper sound system this year for awards ceremony, thanks to Phil of Outback Safaris.

Henceforth our event Treaurer, Tom Whitehead (TWhitehead on DR1) will field any questions online about this year's tournament, as he has graciously volunteered.
The Event Committee is again Steve P., Doug H., Tom W., Pete R. and me.
More info will be out soon as we nail down more details.
We welcome anyone who wishes to assist us raising money, especially those folks involved in the charities which will benefit, and any business owners who would like to sponsor a team or just give to the cause.
It was a really fun time last year, so bring your friends, your clubs and let's play some golf. All are welcome.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Forgot to mention a very important item.
This year's tournament will be dedicated to the memory of Johnny Polanco who left us early at age 39. Many golfers know the golf pro at the Playa Dorada course was a gentleman, a fine instructor and will be missed by all.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Does this mean we shall have a hurricane going over Puerto Plata on August 15th/16th as we did for LAST year's tourney??:cheeky:?:ermm:??

Put me down for ONE at the moment tflea, I'll try to get a team together (I presume it will be team orientated as it was last year?). If you want a secondary point for donations/greenfees to be paid into in the Puerto Plata area then just let me know - otherwise I shall use the same system as last year - she is so much prettier than you too!! ~ Grahame.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
We have received a most unusual and noteworthy donation.
Hair. Of all things. Sandy of Sosua Property Management & Services
is donating her hair, will solicit donations and whomever coughs up the best donation will have the honor of shaving her head, clean, right there at the awards ceremony! The hair will be donated to a foundation that needs human hair to make hairpieces for cancer victims undergoing chemo. Now that is going the extra step. It is highly appreciated and should be of great entertainment value as well. Thanks Sandy!

Mar 2, 2008
Where does the bidding to cut Sandi's hair take place, or who do we bribe to ensure selection?

Me with a razor and Sandi's head on the block, priceless.

In addition, I offer my hair as a contribution. I'm all heart.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
She'll Explain

She'll explain what she's come up with as to the logistics of it; on here shortly.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I think you should change it to Tues 23rd June 2009.
Just to explain to the other readers of this thread, the above comment was made because the poster is too much of a cheapskate to come over from England a second time in 2 months, for the tournament. :pirate::pirate::pirate: He will be here late June/early July (playing some golf with me) but refuses, at present, to accept the notion that he will HAVE to return to the DR for a second time to join our festivities!!

?490/600 for a WEEK's golfing with me AND DR1 members at the golf tourney is chicken feed Sir :cheeky: :ermm: ~ Grahame.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm in!

And a word of warning: I will be very stiff competition for the coveted "Most Blown Shots" trophy...

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I'm in!

And a word of warning: I will be very stiff competition for the coveted "Most Blown Shots" trophy...
I was rather hoping someone would get in & say this before me CB .............. You are supposed to 'hit' the ball with those stick type things in the bag - NOT blow the balls!!
(mind you, with all your hot air ...................... :cheeky: :bunny::bunny::bunny: :surprised) ~ Grahame.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I was rather hoping someone would get in & say this before me CB .............. You are supposed to 'hit' the ball with those stick type things in the bag - NOT blow the balls!!
(mind you, with all your hot air ...................... :cheeky: :bunny::bunny::bunny: :surprised) ~ Grahame.
:cheeky: You're one clever guy, Grahame...

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
The tournament is, and hopefully will forever be about shanks, duffs, mis-hits, slices, hooks and lost balls! It is about a fun day and leaving the stresses of life out of your golf bag for the day. It is about comraderie, a few beers, some good charitable work, and a few laughs. Let's keep in mind, a bad day on the golf course is much better than a good day in real life. We always have some serious players as well, but mostly in the minority.
Costumes are encouraged.!
The north coast needs a good venue to consolidate all of the character(s) who visit and live here. This could be that venue.
Imagine.

Last edited:

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Count me in!

11i1r7r.jpg

Mar 2, 2008
See the ball, be the ball, Danny.

I volunteer to eliminate all the golfers before the big day.

Whoops, sorry, I meant to say, "all the gophers".

And that's all she wrote.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
We're closer to tournament day. August 15. The committee will meet Monday and start in earnest to get going with sign-ups, more donations and sponsors being well mentioned. We've already gotten some secured private donations from readers here and hope not only the 45 players from last year participate, but another 20 or so more will come, have a day to be remembered and some good stories to tell.
Players: It will be RD$3,000 pesos, with green fees, carts, one caddy per 4-some and lunch included. Prizes, raffles, music and 3 or 4 good causes will receive the benefits of our fun -- and it is fun, competitive, with comraderie and hopefully some even more creative costumes than last year.
DR1 is the official Beer Cart sponsor. Robert is in charge of eye-opening companions in his personal cart. However, I doubt he will be responsible for results of his generous beer distribution.
We hope you and can join us.
I might add, this is not a boyz day out. Persons of the female persuasion are most welcome to play golf and add a bit of decorum to the event.
You do not need a partner or partners to play, we always have plenty of folks to join with.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Looking for Sponsors and Players

As many of you already know, we are hosting the 2nd Annual North Coast Charity Golf Tournament at Playa Dorada on August 15th. As of right now we have about 28 confirmed players (will list confirmed players later this week). We are hoping to have at least 60 players for this fun filled event so if you know of any golfers, hackers, drinkers etc please make them aware of this event. This is a long weekend in the DR so this gives the opportunity for those DR1ers from other parts of the island to attend this great day. Judy at Las Canas has again given us discounted accomodations for tournament entrants (please pm myself or bemudarum for more details).

We currently have many great prizes and sponsors: a weeks accomodations at Las Canas, Beer cart sponsored by DR1, golf regripping by Bermudarum, Admiral Sports wear - shirts for player, Outback Jungle Safari, Lambada, DR1 Real Estate, Sosua Properties, Las Canas dinner for four, CafeCito, many meals and drink deals at local pubs and resteraunts, AAAS etc etc. If you are unable to attend this fun filled day than why not make a monetary donation or offer up a prize for the auction or prize table. For this to be a continued success we need as much support and aid as possible from all of our fellow DR1ers.

I thank all of you for taking time to read this and look forward to seeing many of you at this much anticipated event. Tom