Several Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaska1986

Hi my group (me, 23 mother 40 brother 17) are staying at the Grand Oasis Marien Coral Resort in Puerto Plata next month and wanted to see what the recommended way to get to Santo Domingo and Santiago is. I read about Metro Tours (which seems to be preferred over Caribe)..where can I catch this bus is there a station downtown in Puerto Plata(you'd be surprised how difficult it is to find addresses on webpages and search and make placemarks on google earth)? Also where are the main stations in Santo Domingo and Santiago? Also if anyone is familiar with this resort is it within walking distance of the town, because I thought I picked a good location and I want to visit clubs and do my own city tour during the day. Also do cabs regularly run between Playa Dorada and Puerto Plata and if so how much are they? Last but not least we want to do the 27 Waterfall Tour and will book through a group if necessary but want to see how much a cab is both ways.

Thanks in Advance

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Walking from Coral Marien to the centre of Puerto Plata is a bit of a hike (45 min walk?) but Coral Marien is right on the main road, so you can go outside the hotel entrance & pick up a bus (the 28 seat variety) or a gua-gua (minivan) & get into town for a few pesos. You'll want traffic on same side of road as hotel, i.e. going to your right once you get outside hotel. The resort is situated between the baseball stadium & Playa Dorada, if that gives you some landmarks.

Metro Tours is before you get to centre of PP, between Calle J F Kennedy & Calle Beller, tel 809-586-6062, routes & times here:
Metro Servicios Turisticos

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Apart from the other two posts exactly the same as this (in Central & Santo Domingo forums) have you recently posted on this subject under a different name? I seem to recall a post very similar to this before!

For background re the 27 waterfalls & how to get there, do a search using the tag words '27 waterfalls taxi cab'. This will bring up the recent posts (or threads depending on what you elect) for this subject. I think taxi will be 'inconvenient' for you but you make the decision.

Metro bus station is very close to Supermecado Tropical - all taxi drivers at Costa Dorada will know it. Santo Domingo is a 4 hour journey away & Santiago is 75 minutes away. The latter you can do in a ONE day visit, the former really is a minimum two day trip. Metro stations to 'town area' is a taxi ride for both cities.

Costa Dorada to Puerto Plata town centre is a 40/45 minute walk. Yes taxis go that way (about RD $200 pesos each way I think but it has been some time since I did that trip by taxi) but maybe you can 'negotiate' a price with the guys who sit outside the hotel area doing 'not a lot' every day!! There is also a Gua-gua (small bus with A, B or C on the front) &/or minivan service into town. These cost RD $10 or so but make sure you have the correct change as the 'conductor' rarely has change when dealing with 'Tourists'!!

Have fun exploring ~ Grahame.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
We took the buses outside and they were very good. Charged us 20 pesos each(with negotiating) but was more comfortable than a publico. Wondering do the letters ABC on the buses mean different routes. We took the bus can't remember the letter bus to La Sirena from there. It was fun riding on a rikity bus.

alaska1986

Thanks guys for the great information! And bushbaby no I haven't flooded this forum with the same questions. I read the previous posts related to my subject matter and don't try and ask the same question that has already been proposed. I just joined the forum and posted one question each for the places I plan to visit: Puerto plata/Playa Dorada, Santiago and Santo Domingo. The only other forum I have used is yahoo answers. Thanks again this is a great resource to encourage and inform people about traveling in a great place like the D.R.!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
letters mark ruta (route) of a bus. from main road you take a guagua (they look different, from small buses to minivans) to the city centre. the ride costs 15 pesos a head (they went up, grahame). from the city (anywhere) hail a motor (now, that is a little adventure in itself) and ask for "metro, por favor". moto ride is 15 pesos.

(now, didn't i just write the same thing few days ago?)

bus to santiago is about 100 pesos (prices change with petrol prices). ride to SD is about 300 pesos. in santiago metro stops in a city centre. you can move about in carros publicos (questions regarding rutas can be asked in central DR forum). metro in SD is also in the city centre, close to main streets. questions to be asked in south DR forum.

have fun!

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Gua gua B is 15 pesos and takes you to central park. Moto is 20 pesos.

Caribe tour to santiagi is 110 pesos.

Gua gua stops running at 7 pm.

Taxi should only be 200 pesos to the discos in town. But please do not go to them on your own at night. Too dangerous. Make sure that you go with friends or in a group.

Status
Not open for further replies.