Need furniture in the Barahona area? Support rural women's associacions...

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
"Fabrica de Muebles Mujeres del Sur" is a furniture workshop located in Palo Alto (20 minutes before arriving to Barahona). It is run by and employs rural women who are members of women's assocacions in 9 communities. Institutions from Spain along with IDDI and Oxfam helped them get it started.

The women can make and upholster Dominican-style items, including: bed bases, living room sets (sofas, chairs, tables), dining sets and ottomans, and they also now make wooden doors and persianas. They can make things to your specifications of sizing, style and color. The pricing is competitive, and although you can find it cheaper at the larger stores in Barahona, the women give you what you pay for because they use better quality materials rather than rough, unfinished woods.

If you or someone you know is starting a business, consider placing your order with these women. It is a great way to support locals in an area heavily affected by the storms and where this is little employment opportunity, especially for women. They are currently working on an order for 100+ bed bases and are hoping increase orders to earn money and employ more women in the production.

*If you are interested, let me know and I will put you in contact with them. PLEASE do not delete or move this because it is only relevant for the southwest and I am not promoting this for my own financial gain.