Why do Dominicans hate the Yankees?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
So I got into baseball just recently (4 years ago). My favorite team has always been the NY Yankees but to my surprise most of my fellow Dominicans despise them. They prefer Boston. In my family me and 4 others are the only Yankee fans. I have a pretty large family so you can imagine what it feels like when Boston is on top of the Yankees...I get text messages, phone calls making fun etc. When I ask my family members who have been into baseball way longer than I have why they hate the Yankees the answer is always: YANKEES ARE RACIST and don't have many Dominican players. To me this is a load of BS because of all the Dominicans that have played with the team.

Are my missing something here? Was it just recently (past 10 years) that the Yankees started contracting Dominican players?

I don't mean to stir up any kind of heated discussion with this. I just want to get a general understanding around this subject matter :cheeky:​

May 12, 2005
That is the first I have heard that. I think the recent increase in the amount of Dominicans that are Sox fans has to do with the popularity of Pedro Martinez, Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz. Compound that with the Sox winning a few WS in recent years. Maybe you should ask them, besides those 3 how many other Dominicans were on the Sox roster during that time? The Yankee roster of today is full of Dominicans. Alex Rodriguez, Robinson Cano, Melky Cabrera, Edwar Ramirez, Jose Veras, and Damaso Marte. Besides Ortiz, how many Dominicans play for the Sox today??

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
.... Besides Ortiz, how many Dominicans play for the Sox today??

Ortiz is now "playing" as if he were 45 years old. Dodgy birth certificate? His very impressive career may be nearing the end.

I know many Dominicans in Santo Trafficjam who have shifted their allegiance to the Yankees. With many their pride rests in the players before the team.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I didn't notice any anti MFY's.

The yanquis ball cap is still the preferred one here in the DR.
I saw plenty of MFY caps in the DR.

I think many Dominicans swing their allegiance depending on the standings. Also, as pointed out, with Pedro and Ortiz having success with the Sox more recently, and both being rather beloved countryman, that explains any shift, in my opinion.

I would think any communities that are rich in Dominicans (Jamaica Plain in Boston, Washington Heights in NY) are going to get the majority of Dominicans behind them. Being a 'homer' will keep your allegiance to your local ballclub, but with Dominicans their affinity for teams really comes down to who is playing for them - countryman (as pointed out by Celt).

Off the top of my head, the Sox have Lugo, Ortiz and there certainly is some residual from Planet Manny.

The MFYs have more active Dominicans, although laying claim to MeRod is not something all Dominicans are supportive of, and may even turn them away.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Yankees winning every year in the second half of 90's has something to do with it, plus by that time the Sox had Pedro and Manny, and later Papi. Those 3 guys were the most popular player in the DR in one team, and as you know the Sox and the Yanks don't get along too well.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I saw plenty of MFY caps in the DR.

I think many Dominicans swing their allegiance depending on the standings. Also, as pointed out, with Pedro and Ortiz having success with the Sox more recently, and both being rather beloved countryman, that explains any shift, in my opinion.

I would think any communities that are rich in Dominicans (Jamaica Plain in Boston, Washington Heights in NY) are going to get the majority of Dominicans behind them. Being a 'homer' will keep your allegiance to your local ballclub, but with Dominicans their affinity for teams really comes down to who is playing for them - countryman (as pointed out by Celt).

Off the top of my head, the Sox have Lugo, Ortiz and there certainly is some residual from Planet Manny.

The MFYs have more active Dominicans, although laying claim to MeRod is not something all Dominicans are supportive of, and may even turn them away.

Standings has nothing to do with it, more likely Dominican players on the team...

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
When the Red Sox came from 3 down in the ALCS in 2004 as each game progressed the noise level in Santo Calor increased with every game.

When the Red Sox won the seventh game the city erupted.

When Pedro went the Mets I know people who switched their allegiance to the Mets.

(MFM's just doesn't work like MFY's though, does it?)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Yankees signed Damasito Garcia out of college and two years later he was on second base...1976 or so,...
But there are other reasons.
1) the Aguilas and Licey are the two most popular teams in DR baseball.
2) For years the Pirates and the Dodgers were the MLB ball team that sent the most players to these two rivals.
3) The Yankees never took much part in DR Winter League...so no fan base created.
In fact most AL teams ignored the DRWL.
Steve Yeager, Lasorda were here, so were Dock Ellis, Willie Stargell, Bob Robertson, George Foster (dubbed "cachimbito" by the fans). Gene Garber ate Thanksgiving in our house...Way back when, Sad Sam Jones used to walk the streets of Santiago with a portable record player, and he never got very far before someone invited him in to play records and socialize...

Them wus da days!!!

HB

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
End of discussion...

The Yankees signed Damasito Garcia out of college and two years later he was on second base...1976 or so,...
But there are other reasons.
1) the Aguilas and Licey are the two most popular teams in DR baseball.
2) For years the Pirates and the Dodgers were the MLB ball team that sent the most players to these two rivals.
3) The Yankees never took much part in DR Winter League...so no fan base created.
In fact most AL teams ignored the DRWL.
Steve Yeager, Lasorda were here, so were Dock Ellis, Willie Stargell, Bob Robertson, George Foster (dubbed "cachimbito" by the fans). Gene Garber ate Thanksgiving in our house...Way back when, Sad Sam Jones used to walk the streets of Santiago with a portable record player, and he never got very far before someone invited him in to play records and socialize...

Them wus da days!!!

HB
And that's that. Well said HB!

Nevermind us contemporary neophytes.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Main reason for loyalty is where the most popular players are playing, when Pedro, Manny and Ortiz were with the Sox that created a lot of resentment toward the Yankees.

I could point out a few more reasons;

- Rivalry created by the media bet. Alex Rodriguez and Derek Jeter.

- As someone said Yankees never participated in winter ball in DR, later during their championship run they had a bunch of boricua players, that might have created some jealousy.

- Steinbreiner personality, his clashes with Billy Martin and legal problems with Dave Winfield (for which he was suspended from baseball) were well reported in DR back in the 70's and early 80's.

- When Alex Rodriguez was traded to the Yankees he turned down a chance to represent DR in the first World Baseball Cup, I personally know plenty of Dominicans who despise him cuz of that. That hate might rub on the team.

- Yankees has too much money, people tend to like the underdogs.

Apr 3, 2009
Fickle Sports Fans

So I got into baseball just recently (4 years ago). My favorite team has always been the NY Yankees but to my surprise most of my fellow Dominicans despise them. They prefer Boston. In my family me and 4 others are the only Yankee fans. I have a pretty large family so you can imagine what it feels like when Boston is on top of the Yankees...​
"Dominicans" hate the Yankees because they've sucked the last few years. Six - seven years ago "Dominicans" loved the Chicago Cubs because of Sammy Sosa. Five - six years ago they "all" loved the Yankees. Four - five years ago the Red Sox... now I am not sure who they love. I can't blame "them." Fickle sports fans always love a winner. If you did not grow up cheering for the team, then chances are you "jumped on the bandwagon."

-BB :)

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
This thread is so funny and so true - my husband hates the Yankees and his favorite team is the Red Sox. I didn't realize the whole Dominicano community was the same...lol. Everytime a game comes on the tv and the Yankees are playing he cheers for the other team.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
This thread is so funny and so true - my husband hates the Yankees and his favorite team is the Red Sox. I didn't realize the whole Dominicano community was the same...lol. Everytime a game comes on the tv and the Yankees are playing he cheers for the other team.

my family root for players,not teams...when manny was with boston,it was boston,now it is the dodgers...and Pujols is a favorite,as well as Polanco,as he is a family member
and they do hate aroid...he realy is not a dominican as far as they are concerned
oscar

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I started this thread and never responded to it. My apologies.

There is something I noticed in my (very large) family this year...they are sporting LA Dodgers caps. Hummmmm I wonder why....

I took a taxi from the washington heights the other day and the taxi driver (in his 50s) was wearing a sox cap. I asked him about this "phenomenom" (if you will) and this is what he said: historically the yankees have been known to be racist because they didn't hire Dominicans in the past bla bla bla

I stopped him right there and pointed out ALL the Dominican players that have played with the Yankees. Then he moved on to say Yankees mistreat their players...look at what they did to Soriano yadda yadda yadda. Then I tried to explain to him that owning a baseball team is like owning a company. If an employee is not producing you have to let him go. From what I have learned money baseball is HUGE now and this is the type of baseball being played by the MAJOR teams.

I tell you...it was a 30 minute conversation on why he hates the Yankees but failed to give me ONE valid reason.

I rest my case. This is BS. The Yankees are the greatest team in Baseball (period).

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
I started this thread and never responded to it. My apologies.

There is something I noticed in my (very large) family this year...they are sporting LA Dodgers caps. Hummmmm I wonder why....

I took a taxi from the washington heights the other day and the taxi driver (in his 50s) was wearing a sox cap. I asked him about this "phenomenom" (if you will) and this is what he said: historically the yankees have been known to be racist because they didn't hire Dominicans in the past bla bla bla

I stopped him right there and pointed out ALL the Dominican players that have played with the Yankees. Then he moved on to say Yankees mistreat their players...look at what they did to Soriano yadda yadda yadda. Then I tried to explain to him that owning a baseball team is like owning a company. If an employee is not producing you have to let him go. From what I have learned money baseball is HUGE now and this is the type of baseball being played by the MAJOR teams.

I tell you...it was a 30 minute conversation on why he hates the Yankees but failed to give me ONE valid reason.

I rest my case. This is BS. The Yankees are the greatest team in Baseball (period).

Point at me all the Dominicans players who have been with the Yankees.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
What a silly argument. It's an over generalization. If Dominicans hate the Yankees, it's the same reason other fans hate the Yankees. The money issue, etc. The "Evil Empire" blah blah blah.....As per the argument with the cab driver, your first defense shouldn't have been about the game, rather that Dominicans aren't a race.

Well, actually, the more I look at it the more they could be called a race of their own....

Jjjajajajajaj
ajjajajaj

Mr. Lu

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Dominicans are fair weather fans (just like myself). When I came here ten years ago all you saw were jankees hats, now all you see are Boston ones.

No doubt the local bancas have something to do with it, after all who is going to bet on a losing team, much less wear their cap.

If the Yankees win it all this year, I predict a jankee renaissance.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Dominicans are fair weather fans (just like myself). When I came here ten years ago all you saw were jankees hats, now all you see are Boston ones.

No doubt the local bancas have something to do with it, after all who is going to bet on a losing team, much less wear their cap.

If the Yankees win it all this year, I predict a jankee renaissance.

Dominicans are not fair weather fans, they follow Dominican players. A team could be in the tank but if they have many players from Quisqueya Dominicans will cheer for them.