Where to take four Dominican teenagers for some fun???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
My husband and I are coming to visit my husband?s family in a few weeks and I would like to plan something for his teenage cousins (there are four ? ages 14 to 18) that would be a little different and more exciting than what they are used to. We usually do the usual things like going to the beach, the rivers, into POP for lunch, etc. but I want to take them somewhere different. My husband?s idea of taking them out to have fun is driving to the Malecon and listening to music or going to the beach. Don?t get me wrong but three of these children lost their mother from a car accident a few years ago and they don?t get to do much for fun outside of their town of Montellano because their dad only has a motorcycle and not a lot of extra money after paying for school, clothes, food, etc., so I want to treat them to something outside of their usual routine. Keep in mind that we don?t want it to be outrageously expensive as we will be paying for all six of us, but I would like it to be something different than the norm. I was thinking of something along the lines of going to Jamao or Playa Grande for the day and having lunch somewhere along the way. We could also take them for a day trip to Santiago but I know that will inevitably lead to shopping and it could get expensive with four teenagers. What about the catamaran rides or the dirt buggy tours? I know they won?t see anything they haven?t seen before but I know they have never done either. A concert of any type of music would also be thoroughly enjoyed if anyone knows of any concerts during the last week of June? What do you think would be most enjoyed and all suggestions of what to do or where to take them are welcome.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I have only been to POP a couple times but here are some ideas:
-If they are adventurous and can swim, take them to 27 Charcos in nearby Imbert.
-I know you said their mom died in a car accident, but all the same they might really enjoy the go-cart track.
-They would probably enjoy Ocean World if you are willing to shell out the money for it.
-If there is a movie theatre in a mall, I'm not sure if there is, they probably have never been to a theatre. If not, you could make a day trip to Santiago to do the movies and a few other sites there.
-I don't know if there is a water park up there, but they would probably like it more than the beach.
-If you go to the beach, get a pick-up and let them invite a friend or two each, pack a prepared lunch of some moro so you don't have to buy expensive beach food for all.
-Take them to eat somewhere they couldn't afford and would think was awesome, like a Pizzarelli.
-At the end of the day, take them to get Helado's Bon ice-cream.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Great suggestions Minerva...all what I would have recommended..and was thinking of recommending when reading the original post.
I was thinking along the lines of the Go-Carting or the Columbus Aguapark...or even a movie in the Playa Dorada complex...
There is a realllly nice tour to Paradise Island, but if I remember it's a bit expensive, and may not entertain boys of their age for the full afternoon...
All the "American" food chains like Pizza Hut, Burger King...on the North Coast are usually considered "cool" places to eat...
If you go for one of the Catermeran or Dirt Biking tours I'm sure they would love that too, but better have your husband ask for prices once there and try to get a non-tourist rate..! lol

M

MRJone

You can take them to Playa Dorada. You'll find all you need there. There is a nice little mall with a movie theater and the beach is just a block away.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i second minerva feliz. columbus aqua park would be great for them - it is very close to montellano too. and they used to have special offers like two for one, so give them a call before you go.
27 waterfalls with lunch in maimon (they have all fish and seafood there) is a great idea.
movies in playa dorada and then dinner in pizza hut should be quite fun.
you can also take them for a horse riding trip (there is a rancho i munoz) with lunch and the way and swimming in the river.
also, you could take cable car up isabel de torres and have lunch on the mountain top with fantastic views.
then, on the other hand, if you have a car and can start early, you can take them all the way to santo domingo so they can see zona colonial and mar de caribe.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Thank you all. These are very good ideas. I am very familiar with the area it?s just I sort of wanted a poll on what people think teenagers would enjoy the most. We will have a car so that is no problem but rather than spending most of the day driving (i.e. SDQ), I?d rather stay closer to POP so we can do some relaxing. Do any of you know if the movie theatre in Puerto Plata is still open (the one in downtown, not the one in Playa Dorada) because they play Spanish movies there and the one in Playa Dorada sometimes has movies in English. I myself have never been on the cable car up Isabel de Torres so that would be fun. I take from the posts that there is somewhere to eat at the top? Where is the ranch you are talking about for horseback riding? I think taking them to Pizza Hut would also be nice one night and we could do that on a separate day from another activity. I remember seeing a post recently about the waterpark in Sosua so I?ll check that out for times and prices too.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no cinema in the city. there is a church there now.
cinema in playa dorada has all movies subtitled so your boys should be able to enjoy the movie. all cartoons/kids movies are in spanish.
isabel de torres - there is a place that sells drinks and i guess some food too. you will be better off, however, taking a picnic basket and eating on any of the places with fantastic views. you can also take a domino table and have a game.
the ranch i was talking about is in munoz but i do not know details. there is another one also close to sabaneta and i presume many more.
one more place worth seeing is isabela, close to luperon. this is a place where columbus landed. not much fun as such but the road is really beautiful and there are few gorgeous beaches there.
depending on when you come you may catch a fun park in POP (they come occasionally) with swings and carousels.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Thanks again everyone for your helpful replies. How far of a drive is Jarabacoa from Montellano (approximately) in minutes?

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
My guys love going to Fun City for the day or to the movies at Playa Dorada followed by pizza at Pizza Hut.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Thanks again everyone for your helpful replies. How far of a drive is Jarabacoa from Montellano (approximately) in minutes?
about 2-2.5 hrs drive each way. depending on traffic. may be less if you take mountain road but it seems to be in a bad condition right now.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I would guess at a little over 2.5 hrs ooops - I went via moca once, the collapsed bridge was like a roller coaster ride lol - has it been re built does anyone know

Status
Not open for further replies.