Beachs at Las Galeras

B

Bob Saunders

I recently returned from Villa Serena at Las Galeras. Great place to stay, food was good but the menu was limited. When walking towards one of the beaches, I don't recall the name, the one next to playita, the locals told us that it wasn't safe due to robbers. Any comments.

N

Natasha

Humm, I am saddened to hear about this, in Las Galeras? I am wondering which beach you are referring to, is it the area after you pass Club Bonito, in the direction towards Casa Marina Bay Resort? Or the opposite direction (I don't recall whether there's even a beach in the opposite direction)

Andy, any comments?

Bob, why don't you give us a review of Villa Serena and Las Galeras in general :)

Regards,
Natasha

A

Andy

We have had several instances at several of the isolated beaches. We have CONTINUOUSLY asked that the National Police establish a station and institute regular patrols in the area, but we are told there is no money to do this (despite our local Foreign Investors Association giving them enough money to do this several years ago). However there is hope, as over the Easter weekend I met with Samana's Chief of Police and his District Commander and they reassured me that they are trying to do something. We do have some patrols by both the Police and the local Marina de Guerre (Navy) detachment, but they are sporadic, at best.
Fortunately, these instances are few and far between, but as we grow they will become more prevalent unless something is done,...and believe me, our guests safety is of our utmost concern.

M

Mike Forster

If you go to Jarabacoa carry on to Constanza- great views of Pico Duarte.
If you go to Samana and Las Galeras, go to Las Terrenas and then return through Sanchez- spectacular scenery.
Make sure you go to Cheramicos on the other side of the bay from Sosua- great place to eat and drink, and meet the locals.

M

Mike Forster

Sorry, that last message was meant for,"What we shouldn't miss"