Barahona (city): Good little-known information

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Barahona is the largest city in the southwest, a region that few people visit. There isn't a lot of information out there about Barahona for people who do want to enjoy the beauty of the region, like there is for cities like Sosua or Boca Chica. I would like to provide and ask others as well to provide some information they have about the CITY OF BARAHONA (not San Rafael, Casa Bonita, etc.) that could be useful to others while they are here to visit or live.

Here are some of my opinions/insights...

Best place for night-time munchies: Keky Burger on the Malecon, right next to Costa Larimar hotel. It sells killer cheese fries and their own version of tacos, burritos and quesadillas.

Clean, tasty, affordable lunch: Melo's Cafe, half a block up from supermercado Jacabo. Daily special $150, good fresh juices. Get there before 1:30, they run out of food! They have pancakes and french toast for breakfast.

For office supplies, fax, copies, printing: Shadday, up the street from BanReservas. Recently remodeled and has good empanadas at cafeteria.

View of the city: In front of Villa Central (Batey Central), there is a narrow strip of man-made land that sticks out in the harbor. To get there, go down to Malecon and turn left, when you get to the signs that say Batey Central, you go RIGHT through a guarded gated area. Tell them you want to go out there to the beach and they'll let you through. It's a neat place to eat dinner at sunset, bring repellent! Lots of shells and sea glass out there.

Movie rental place: Has original movies in English, though none too recent. It's across from the Santo Domingo guagua station, on the other side of the park in a little plaza.

Nice but expensive dinner with a view: Brisas del Caribe on the Malecon, turn left toward Batey Central.

Best Sandwich and Batida: Fidel's. Located a few blocks up from the street going up the west end of the park, on the other corner of the big Catholic Church. They have tons of sandwiches, even shark and lambi. They will deliver anywhere near the center for 20 pesos. 809-524-1760.

Fruit Stand: Half a block up from Malecon, on the street that runs up the east side of the kiddie park. Run by women's associacions, the freshest pre-cut fruit in town and best price. Grab some to take to the beach before you get on the guagua.

Cheapest Hotel: El Cacique, on the street by the fruit stand. No, it's not the best and they do sometimes charge in 4-hour increments, but it's not bad if you're on a budget.

Reactions: Rumble2005

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Is El Roble or Los Robles (Can't recall...it's been a while) restaurant still operating. It seemed to have good food and drinks when I was there a few years back and the atmosphere was pretty nice too.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Los Robles is still open. It's a nice atmosphere at night, although the grandes are 100 and half a block away 70. I think they have the best pizza in Barahona, but it's only sold after 6 p.m.

Feb 15, 2005
Very good post. I would also like to suggest second floor in Hotel Caribe, across from Hotel Larimar for a nice breakfast.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Here are some things I would like to know:
-Where can you get your clothes laundered, even if you aren't staying at a hotel?
-What is a good taxi company and what is the number?
-Where can you rent a reliable boat or jetski (with or without the driver) to cruise the coast? How much $? I've heard a rumor it's illegal to drive jetski's around there because of manitees, is that true?
-Where can you rent motorcycles or fourwheelers (don't need advice on whether it's a good idea or not)?
-Who is trustworthy to talk to about a short-term furnished apartment rental?

destinationbarahona

Nov 22, 2008
www.destinationbarahona.com
To give more hints:
Hotel Caribe is a comfortable Hotel. 950,-RDS incl breakfast, aire, TV, warm water. and just walking distance to the hot spots on the malecon.

Los Robles is ok if you like it a little bit comfortable. Here is the "better" class of Barahoneros.
The hot spot is "La Casita", one block further, Billiard salon. Here you get the beer, st down on the wall other side of the street and enjoy the real dominican lifestyle.
It seems to be open very soon: plaza next to Everest. So far you can sit there and get cheap drinks and have also the real dominican night entertainment.
On the retondo, just a little in the back (when you come from dir. Pedernales to B'hona) on the right side: EL FUERTE! Best pollo al carbon!! His salsa is great. Be sure to go there before 7pm, he is mostly sold out fast! He start around 4pm with his service, Mondays off.

Restaurant D'lina is also a good place to go. At least here you find also clean toilets! Something what is very important sometimes!!! And coffe is for free!
Same place you can charge your Orange Card. And get 10% discount!

Same system with Claro: Charge it on the office next side to Helado Bon, Parque Central! Discount.

Another tip: If you like ice-cream: Whereever you go, have a look to the consistence of the ice-cream! If it is very soft, stay away. We have a lot of apagones and the icecream store has no planta-suply!

A nice hotel in the city is in the main street, a little bit higher than MUEBLES RAY, a old wodden building. The best cafeteria in town, nice ambiente. Spanish owners, just the name I always forget. Loro Terco, something like that. Just look for the small hotel sign with a papagallo in pirate-dress.
The hotelrooms in the back are small, but quiet with a nice garden in front.
All what is needed. TV, Aire, warm water. Furniture like beds - all new!

Historic stay: If you like to be the guest from former dictator Trujillo: go to Hotel Cuarocuya, with a breathtaking few from the rooms to the caribbean sea. This hotel was in older times the guest house from Trujillo and still you can feel the history.

Concerning Manatis! Yes, in the bay of Neyba we have manatis. And if you see them, don't tell anybody! Fisherman like to catch them!

Rental service:
There is no rental station for 4wheelers. The only officially rent-a-car station has moved temporary to Hotel Quemaito.
Here you can get the Toyota Hilux double cabin, 4x4 or economic and recommended cars: Daihatsu Sirion. All cars are from 2008, very good maintained and fully insured.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
This is a great thread! I've only passed through Barahona, but have been planning to check it out for a few days...when returning to the SW Coast...that area really is beautiful!

Aug 19, 2004
Where can you get a decent strong cup of coffee in Barahona?

According to my wife people here like their coffee weak and I agree based on personal experience - is this true?

TheMindFrame

Mar 4, 2009
I'm so homesick right now. Thanks for this info!

I'm moving back to DR soon and I'm going to definitely check out all these places

Barahona is the largest city in the southwest, a region that few people visit. There isn't a lot of information out there about Barahona for people who do want to enjoy the beauty of the region, like there is for cities like Sosua or Boca Chica. I would like to provide and ask others as well to provide some information they have about the CITY OF BARAHONA (not San Rafael, Casa Bonita, etc.) that could be useful to others while they are here to visit or live.

Here are some of my opinions/insights...

Best place for night-time munchies: Keky Burger on the Malecon, right next to Costa Larimar hotel. It sells killer cheese fries and their own version of tacos, burritos and quesadillas.

Clean, tasty, affordable lunch: Melo's Cafe, half a block up from supermercado Jacabo. Daily special $150, good fresh juices. Get there before 1:30, they run out of food! They have pancakes and french toast for breakfast.

For office supplies, fax, copies, printing: Shadday, up the street from BanReservas. Recently remodeled and has good empanadas at cafeteria.

View of the city: In front of Villa Central (Batey Central), there is a narrow strip of man-made land that sticks out in the harbor. To get there, go down to Malecon and turn left, when you get to the signs that say Batey Central, you go RIGHT through a guarded gated area. Tell them you want to go out there to the beach and they'll let you through. It's a neat place to eat dinner at sunset, bring repellent! Lots of shells and sea glass out there.

Movie rental place: Has original movies in English, though none too recent. It's across from the Santo Domingo guagua station, on the other side of the park in a little plaza.

Nice but expensive dinner with a view: Brisas del Caribe on the Malecon, turn left toward Batey Central.

Best Sandwich and Batida: Fidel's. Located a few blocks up from the street going up the west end of the park, on the other corner of the big Catholic Church. They have tons of sandwiches, even shark and lambi. They will deliver anywhere near the center for 20 pesos. 809-524-1760.

Fruit Stand: Half a block up from Malecon, on the street that runs up the east side of the kiddie park. Run by women's associacions, the freshest pre-cut fruit in town and best price. Grab some to take to the beach before you get on the guagua.

Cheapest Hotel: El Cacique, on the street by the fruit stand. No, it's not the best and they do sometimes charge in 4-hour increments, but it's not bad if you're on a budget.

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Motorcycle Rental in Barahona

When I stayed at the Costa Larimar about 18 months ago they were renting motorcycles in the parking lot in front of the building. I am not sure if it was run by Costa Larimar or someone else. I met two American couples in the hotel that were there for business and they had rented the bikes for one day and they said they had a great time. That was the only time I stayed there so I don't know if they still have them. I don't ride so I couldn't tell you much about the bikes except that they were a bit bigger than you standard "moto". Maybe around 500-650 cc ?? I was there during a transit strike and I remember sitting outside the pool hall on the malecon watching some well armed PN come by on some pretty serious bikes. As for reliable taxies we used the same company several times, once to go all the way to Hoyo de Pelempito. The drivers name was Antonio and he was in a minibus with lettering on the side waiting at the Caribetours station when we arrived. He came out to get us at the Pontevedre several times and he was always punctual. Unfortunately I have misplaced the card he gave me with the name and number. If I can find it I will post the information.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Where can you get a decent strong cup of coffee in Barahona?

According to my wife people here like their coffee weak and I agree based on personal experience - is this true?

I have a finca in St Helena which is the mountain above Barahona. Go out of Barahona towards Pedernales. At the first check point with a little car park on the right go up the hill to St Helena. Takes 45 mins and a dreadful road!!! You need a 4 wheel drive. There is an old man there who made me coffee. He picked beans off the tree, roasted them over an open fire and did something with a sock. The most delicious coffee i have ever had in my life and certainly not weak!!! Took 2 hours but well worth the wait!!!

Matilda

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
going out suggestions

For early evening to sip a beer and converse:
-Hielo Everest: (on the way out of town towards Pedernales, ask before you get to edge of town). Actually an ice factory, but also a favorite spot for locals. Also great place to prep your cooler before a trip to the beaches on the coast. They are building some new car-wash looking place, isn't finished.
-Migue's Bar Kafe: Just down the street from Pala Pizza/Pollo Rey. Brand new establishment, offers mixed drinks and snacks in a cozy environment. You can also sing karaoke! Owner Miguelina is very friendly.
-In the central park, buy a grande from the colmado "de los chinos" on the corner.

Where the action is:
-No doubt if you want noise and people watching, along with a parade of Barahona's finest Super Cubs and pasolas, you'll find it in the evening on the Malecon at any of several establishments.

To dance:
-Lotus disco located next to the park, people don't show till after 10 p.m. Either on Thursday or Friday, they have "strippers" (don't take it ALL off), can't remember which day.
-Atlantis (the kind of video place with a big screen that plays the music video), nice a/c and has karaoke on Thursday.
-There is another video, out by the Hielo Everest, but can't remember the name. Cold a/c, cold beer.

*Even if you are staying at Casa Bonita, Quemaito, or Playa Azul you can get to these places cheap in a taxi.

Other insights about city of Barahona:
BEST BREAD: There is a bakery 1/2 block past hospital on right side coming into town, reverse going out, that is painted blue with red/orange stripes. It has amazing "pan de mantequilla" (butter bread) that you can usually catch fresh from the oven. Only 10 pesos for a big piece, delicious buttery taste, pick some up and buy cheese/meat to make sandwiches for the beach.

Watch local baseball: There is a field where you can catch some casual play or amateur teams on the weekend evenings in Villa Central (Batey Central).

Running/walking: Malecon has a lot of runners/walkers in the morning, but there is also a track in the "Villa Olimpica" in Villa Central. You can also catch a pickup game of soccer or basketball in the evening. Also has decent kid's playground equipment that is surprisingly still functional.

Authentic campo souvenirs: On the street to get to the entrance of the market, half a block before on the side of the street there is a little wooden shack that sells some neat stuff, handmade, that is actually used in the campo. Like saddles, baskets, ropes, woven totes for collecting fruit, and various household items made from tin cans and oil cans.

On the corner, you can find a (botequin? I don't know what to call it) with items related to superstition and voodoo, such as colorful bottles of water to cure your ills and luck, framed pictures of various saints, papers with special prayers, candles and the occasional voodoo doll. The old man who own's it is hard of hearing, so make sure you yell!

Reactions: ben jammin

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Excellent post Minerva...

My contribution:

•Best chicken cordon bleue: Restaurant Brisas del Mar, malecon towards the batey.

•Best mofongo/mondongo/pizza/BBQ meats: Restaurant Los Robles, Malecon

•Best breakfast: don’t know the name of the restaurant, but it is across from hotel Maria Montez and I think it belongs to the hotel, it is very upscale in a sort of typical way and it is not that expensive.

•Best home made food (fried fish, stew chicken, rice & beans): Restaurant Luz, Bahoruco (carretera Barahona – Paraiso), also cheap rooms (with very limited facilities, only for extreme adventurers).

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's the old state-owned hotel that has fallen into total disrepair. I think it was called Guarocuya.

destinationbarahona

Nov 22, 2008
www.destinationbarahona.com
Hotel Guarocuya was the former Guest-House from Trujillo, which means: Far bevor the 60's. No doubt, the Hotel is not in best conditions, but: historical ambiente, best view to the beach. Big rooms, fully equiped: TV, Van, Aire, Warm water...
Fresh painted in May 2009!
If you are alone, Hotel Caribe (on the other side of the Malecon) is cheaper. Including a big and heavy breakfast (Mangu and eggs). If you are with 3 Persons, the Guaracuya will be more economic, but no breakfast included!

May 5, 2007
It's the old state-owned hotel that has fallen into total disrepair. I think it was called Guarocuya.

Thanks, that sounds like the one

It reminded me of the Hispaniola, likely the "State run" original purpose

Seems there was one lady who ran the place and most employees were family?