Motorconcho Travel Between Puerto Plata and Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

HPJuan

Mar 29, 2008
North Coast Friends,

I am planning on spending a week in Puerto Plata, but I am strongly considering spending some days at the beach in Sosua, as well as visiting Rockys for some ribs while I'm in the DR. Is it safe to travel back and forth between the two cities via motorconcho? I wouldn't consider doing this at night, but I think travel during the day, in good weather may be a cheap and quick way to get back and forth...what do you think? Cabs back and forth get a bit pricey...

Juan

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Take a publico, you have a much higher chance of making it back home without a body bag. It is not a good idea to take a motoconcho further than Charamicos on the touristica , IMHO. You can rent the entire front seat for $RD60.

t'

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I think the public 'Guagua' would be your best bet, its like a van-bus thing. Not sure where to catch it, but you can use the search function here or wait until someone else posts more details.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Do not get a moto-concho between Puerto Plata and Sosua.
You will probably live - but only probably.
In the day time the concho driver may well take you on the direct short cut through the cane fields. This is more bumpy but there are less crazy drivers going that way.
Take a Guagua.
It is fun in a 27 people squashed in a van playing very loud Bachata kind of a way.
Very Dominican.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Good advice! Guagua or publico but definately not moto concho!The main thing of course is HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!!!!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I would just like to add (in order that I do not get any religious headgear inserted in any cavities) that real Dominicans would never travel by Guagua. They would never be seen dead in anything less than a late model SUV on the road between Sosua and Puerto Plata.
;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you mean AZB dominicans? they do not even go to sosua. miami beach only, babe. :cheeky:
my mother in law is always upset when i take guaguas but i find them funny. just watching how many people can fit in and what kind of things they carry (whole cakes, furniture, live animals including fish in a tank) makes me forget about my motion disease.
in any case: where in POP will you be? a guagua/carro publico will be best for you. carro publico goes all night (slightly more pricey). 30-45 pesos for a ride each way, dirt cheap.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Guaguas are interesting experiences sometimes. I remember one time there was a scuffle to get in the front seat of the Guagua.
I lost.
I had to sit in the back totally alone until the next stop when what can only be described as an unruly gaggle of teenage girls all piled into the Guagua. About 20 of them at least.
I didn't stand a chance!
A terrible experience after which it took me several weeks of therapy to compose myself.
You wouldn't get that on a moto-concho. In fact you would be lucky to see more than 4 passengers (plus luggage) on a moto-concho these days.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i concur with guagua. I've never had a problem on a guagua. The ones in the capital are very crowded with people hanging out the doors...but the guaguas between different cities are clean safe and have good AC.

I would only do a moto for such a long ride if I knew the moto driver in advance.

Just MHO.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the guaguas between different cities are clean safe and have good AC.

AC? i had plenty of good AC travelling from sosua one day. gugua was absolutely packed so i had to stand on a step outside with my head inside for safety (or so i hoped). my behind got air conditioned all right and all people on sidewalks had quite a view (or so i hoped).
:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Listen to what people are saying - it is simply not safe to take a motoconcho all the way from Puerto Plata to Sosua and it would cost you considerably more than on a guagua (minivan which functions like a local bus making drop-offs and pick-ups wherever) or public car (like a taxi but shared and makes less stops than a guagua to drop off/pick-up passengers). I made the mistake of taking a motoconcho from Sosua (El Batey) to Sosua Abajo once (a fraction of the distance you are talking about) and because the concho was so rickety and driving soooo fast, I lost control of my feet and got my sandal caught up in the chain mechanism or something around there. I was lucky to not have suffered a serious injury and only averted same by yelling at the top of my lungs for the driver to stop because he was so oblivious to what was happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.