Dominicans, who are the bigger fools?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I sometimes wonder who are the bigger fools here, the politicans or the people that voted for them?

The only people that arn't fools, are the power brokers .

The more I see the system, the more I see how perfect and well manipulated it is. I take my hat off to the power brokers of the DR, you have the system down pat.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Robert,

Did anything happen recently that has lead to this epiphany?

It sounds pretty accurate to me, but I was just wondering ?..

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I sometimes wonder who are the bigger fools here, the politicans or the people that voted for them?

The more I see the system, the more I see how perfect and well manipulated it is. I take my hat off to the power brokers of the DR, you have the system down pat.

The people not the politicians because they get elected therefore filling their pockets. In our book they might be fools but they?re rich fools;)

May 5, 2007
Customs

Sounds like a long time ex pat who is simply kicking back and reflecting on everyday happenings in the DR.

I was going great guns in building my house, have a "Friend" in a General and suddenly one day I tried to do something on my own LEGALLY, what a freaking joke! The more things change in the DR the more they stay the same

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
No particular event, just an observation.

The power brokers manipulate or pull the strings of the politicians and they in-turn keep the general population down and subservient.

The power brokers retain a highly uneducated and easily manipulated population and in return the politicians are allowed to steal with impunity.

I don't know about you, but the system appears to be pretty polished ;)

Back to my original question. Who are the real fools here?

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
The people that vote for them of course. They do the same thing over and over and expect different results. They continue to trade so much of their future for so little at the present. A vote is easily bought for a piece of zinc roofing.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
If the 'people' are the fools, what should they do?

Stop voting? - That would be a dangerous move.Use it or lose it.
Vote for an honest politician instead? - I am laughing too hard to type!
Have a revolution? - It is too hot!
Join them because you can't beat them? - O.K. if you can sleep at night.

If these are the choices and you do not like them, I suppose just getting on with life is the only option.

Thanks for that Robert, I was feeling all happy and at peace with the world today.
Back to normal again now.
;)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The people that vote for them of course. They do the same thing over and over and expect different results. They continue to trade so much of their future for so little at the present. A vote is easily bought for a piece of zinc roofing.

That about sums it up and also the definition of insanity!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As I did some writing today, I just had to stop and control myself.

One article says that 67% will get subsidies for electricity. 33% not. Which means we (those who pay) will pay for all of those that do not pay.

Another article tell how the electricity rates that were announced to go up 6.4% have actually gone up 12.1 %, 16.7%, 22.4% and 2.2% over the scale....so we are all phucked!!! The poor, the not so poor, the middle group....

Basically any axxhole that pays for electricity is screwed.

And there has not been a popular uprising. The CDEEE or any of the EDEs do not DARE install electric meters in so many barrios...they just destroy them inthe middle of the night. Yet, like in my area, nobody does anything!!! Too honest, too upright...until ONE DAY!!

All the intellectuals are worried about the Cement factory that will be built near the Haitises--something they don't have a snowball's chance of halting, not with hundreds of millions of dollars in play, and they seem to skim over these fantastic abuses of the productive population.

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

If I might be permitted to disagree respectfully? I think the people know exactly what the results will be. They trade their vote for zinc roofing because that is all they're ever going to get, & they know it. But something is better than nothing so.......they continue to do this. So many people here have no faith whatsoever in their politicians, of any party. And when you suggest someone who has already proven himself, like Guillermo Moreno, their response is 'if he was to get into power he would end up being just like all the others'.

I don't think people are being lazy about this. I think they just despair that things will ever change.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
It's not about being a fool. It's about who cares. Very few people care.

And all expats excluded, if you do care, what are you doing to make things better?

Mr. Lu

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If I might be permitted to disagree respectfully? I think the people know exactly what the results will be. They trade their vote for zinc roofing because that is all they're ever going to get, & they know it. But something is better than nothing so.......they continue to do this. So many people here have no faith whatsoever in their politicians, of any party. And when you suggest someone who has already proven himself, like Guillermo Moreno, their response is 'if he was to get into power he would end up being just like all the others'.

I don't think people are being lazy about this. I think they just despair that things will ever change.
QFT.
When you realise after a couple of elections that the promises are just that, you may as well vote for the one who's going to provide personal benefit.

Hillbilly said:
All the intellectuals are worried about the Cement factory that will be built near the Haitises--something they don't have a snowball's chance of halting, not with hundreds of millions of dollars in play, and they seem to skim over these fantastic abuses of the productive population.
A bit like passengers on the Titanic complaining about poor service in the restaurant after the ship hit the iceberg...

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

Is that because they think there is little point in caring - the 'what can little old me do?' syndrome or is it for another reason?

It's partly due to a lack of pride and self esteem in being Dominican. Many Dominicans (those who need to have it) don't have that "it" factor when it comes to pride for their country. Jump on me all you want, but its true and I'll argue it through and through. Screaming I'm Dominican and putting a flag on your sneakers and yelling louder than the next guy/gal doesn't mean you have pride. It just means you are a tad bit more annoying.

Also, caring comes from believing and many times Dominicans don't believe, therefore they don't care. Many Dominicans actually believe things can't change.

I have more opinions on the subject I just don't care enough to express them.

Mr. Lu

Mar 2, 2008
Robert, you have opened an interestingly existential can of worms.

Good for you.

In a larger sense, aren't we all fools for thinking there might be any solution at all to the human condition? It's not as if this politician or that politician, or this group of people or that group of people will do a better job than the other. Isn't it simply a question of falling in step with whichever ideology is in vogue presently?

Someone else will get to run the ship for awhile, and there will continue more or less of the same corrupt system of politics as before. Aside from a few of the usual player substitutions, and a new face to watch on TV, the only real accomplishment will be the trading in of yesterday's catch-phrases for some new ones, which might or might not be a tad more clever.

There, Robert, you brought out the nihilist in me. I hope you are happy. And JD wonders why all we think about is beer.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would like to say imo opinion you all have stated correct observations, something that I have noticed as well and discussed here on the forums.

However, at times I feel it is such a pointless endeavor to discuss or think about these affronts to decency (mostly the fleecing of the poor in this country) inevitably a feeling of nausea overcome my desire to keep revisiting the whole issue.

What I have to do then is take consolation in a few things in order to keep myself sane and unaffected:

1. No place is perfect and without corruption; and even if the DR takes the cake as far as corruption goes the people are still generally genteel and I still believe overall it is not that bad a place to live and raise kids.

2. I suppose I take maybe just a little (or a lot of satisfaction :) ) in knowing that these charlatans will one day get what's coming to them, either in this world or the next. Providence has a way of making things right, that I'm sure of.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

However, at times I feel it is such a pointless endeavor to discuss or think about these affronts to decency (mostly the fleecing of the poor in this country) inevitably a feeling of nausea overcome my desire to keep revisiting the whole issue.

I agree. This is why they say ignorance is blis. No?

Mr. Lu

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
2. I suppose I take maybe just a little (or a lot of satisfaction :) ) in knowing that these charlatans will one day get what's coming to them, either in this world or the next. Providence has a way of making things right, that I'm sure of.
Which suits them right down to the ground, I'm sure.:cheeky: