Change of heart

Status
Not open for further replies.

SrSuerte

May 31, 2009
It seems like me and my friend would end up paying alot in taxi fares and extra cost staying at the AI(in Playa Dorada) that I booked through a timeshare that I bought a guest certificate for. I am thinking about taking a lost on the money I paid ($220) for the timeshare I used on this trip. I want to stay at another hotel because of the distance(cost of taxi) to travel to Sosua/Puerto Plata everytime we want to go out (everynight), and the restrictions on guest. I would have to pay $315 (US dollars) per person the day I arrive. I have seen some older post and wanted a current name of a hotel that we could posible check into. I just need a shower, clean bed/towels, and some security. Something under a $100 (us)

SrSuerte

May 31, 2009
How hard/easy is it to show up(puerto plata airport) and find a hotel in Sosua/Puerto Plata at a under $100 (US) a night budget in JUNE? It will be two of us so if there are two rooms the $200(US) per night.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
How hard/easy is it to show up(puerto plata airport) and find a hotel in Sosua/Puerto Plata at a under $100 (US) a night budget in JUNE? It will be two of us so if there are two rooms the $200(US) per night.

While I usually book a room ahead of time - I do occasionally just show up and find a room or condo somewhere. I have even done this during the "high" season and never had a problem.

As far as being under $100 a nite, not a problem at all. $50 to $60 usd will get you a very nice room/condo.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i also wanted to mention that public transoport - guaguas and carros publicos - are a cheap way to travel between sosua and puerto plata (a dollar each way is nothing).
in sosua rocky's is cheap and clean. it is also close to the beach.
and there is wifi there as well.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Field of Dreams outside of playa dorada is quest friendly, has a pool, is clean, and won't cost $100 a night. Google the name for the website.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmm, it was my impression that the place is now more "guest friendly" than ever? with connection to cristal?

It seems like me and my friend would end up paying alot in taxi fares and extra cost staying at the AI(in Playa Dorada) that I booked through a timeshare that I bought a guest certificate for. I am thinking about taking a lost on the money I paid ($220) for the timeshare I used on this trip. I want to stay at another hotel because of the distance(cost of taxi) to travel to Sosua/Puerto Plata everytime we want to go out (everynight), and the restrictions on guest. I would have to pay $315 (US dollars) per person the day I arrive. I have seen some older post and wanted a current name of a hotel that we could posible check into. I just need a shower, clean bed/towels, and some security. Something under a $100 (us)

Forgive me if I am wrong but you and your buddy are looking to meet some women in Sosua, You should book a room in Hotel Europa or New Garden in Sosua which should run you 55-65 per night. Do a search on the board and you should be able to find websites and numbers to hotels, These hotels are right in the middle of the action, no need for any taxis except to and from the airport.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I was in Puerto Plata 3 weeks ago. Field of Dreams was open then. The rate was 1600 pesos a night for a double room. That's $45 US.

I looked around the property, it was clean and seemed to be modern and well-maintained but I didn't end up staying. I had friends staying at the Barcelo Playa Dorada and ended up adding on with them because the weekend rate was about 1,700 pesos/$48US per night for the 3rd person and that's all inclusive.

If you are flying down on a package I don't see how going to a non AI hotel and paying separate for meals would be much more economical unless you don't eat very much or don't eat. I am not much of a resort person myself but there are so many things to do inside Puerto Plata I wouldn't go to Sosua every night if I were staying in Playa Dorada. A daytrip/overnight in Sosua is enough if you are based in Puerto Plata.

From Playa Dorada to some of the spots on the Malecon or la Canita for example I've paid taxis anywhere between 250 and 400 pesos each way (no more than $11). The rate depends on if I travel alone or with a group. I never pay for anything with American dollars because I find that I automatically get charged more.

I don't know how good your Spanish is or if you are comfortable maing deals but sometimes if you befriend a taxi you can get a flat rate deal for a daily pickup or round trip to various places, forget the prices that are posted on the sign outside of the hotels.

Otherwise if you want to be in Sosua every night then the previous posters are right..just stay at a hotel out there because there are so many and then you won't really have to deal with the commute back and forth to Playa Dorada.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006

If your not going to stay there and plan to go out EVERY night dont even bother checking into the resort and paying for the meal/drink plan just use the flight and stay in another hotel as you mentioned it will be a waste of money paying for the food/drink for a place you wont ever be in.

If you plan on using the resort during the day and just going out at night Field of Dreams is a great choice since you can walk there from the Playa Dorado complex (careful crossing the street at night though).

Field of Dreams is 100% open for business and guest friendly.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i thought FOD re-opened as rancho mustang with connections to cristal. holidays with girls, more of less. am i wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.