Sammy finally got tickets to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammytheman

Sep 18, 2007
Hi fellas, I finally have everything ready and can't wait till Monday, June 12th :)

Anyways I wanted to get some tips and things to do while in Sosua. Now I have done my search here as well as google but it is time consuming. I will be staying at Rocky's. My question is should I change my US dollars in airport? Should I take Twinrix vaccine to get protected against Hepititis A+B? What are good and cheap places to eat, and what are some activities are available around Sosua? Thanks.

p.s I have lots of used clothing I don't need. Is it ok to give them to dominicans or will they get offended?

KikoPresidente

Mar 20, 2009
depending on how much you exchange... but not a lot, you can get a rate right in the street in sosua.

just look to the off the beaten path spots for the inexpensive restaurants, depends really on what your "inexpensive" is

sammytheman

Sep 18, 2007
Thanks. I am exchanging $800 US. Now I can only go to one island excursion. Saona or Paradise Island? Which is better in terms of shallow water, fish, and sand?

dr.traveler

Jan 1, 2009
If you are staying at rocky's then I assume someone from rockys is picking you up at the airport. The people at Rocky's will tell you a good place right down the street that will give you a good exchange.

As for eating, just walk around town, its not that big, and see what looks good at the time.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Thanks. I am exchanging $800 US. Now I can only go to one island excursion. Saona or Paradise Island? Which is better in terms of shallow water, fish, and sand?

Saona is on the other side of the country...probably best to try another excursion.

Also, there are many other things on the north coast to do besides a booze cruise...but if you want to snorkel and bake in the sun, paradise island is an ok day...

Trig

Aug 20, 2006
When I stayed at Rocky's in January, Rick had one of the bartenders exchange it for me. A nice little convience. And when I went to the same exchange a few day's later, I received a lower rate.

Saona is completely on the other side of the country??? Im not sure where Paradise island is,never heard of it. Exchange your money in caribe express in Charamicos (other side of beach from rockys) probably best exchange rate somewhere around 35.90 give or take a few points.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Paradise Island equals a sand bar with a few huts on it surrounded by a reef. Good snorkelling and the speedboat can be fun!

I agree with Ray. It takes a while to get there but is a very enjoyable day. Don't expect a big "island", you can walk all the way round it in 5 minutes if you take your time :) The snorkeling is excellent with the fish literally eating out of your hand. Take plenty bread if you can.

Also, DON'T forget your high-factor suncream as the sun can be merciless at times.

Only complaint is that it can get a bit busy at times when you have too many boats there at the same time.

ParadiseIsland.jpg

Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.