links to concerts or dance clubs that feature dominican music

any places or clubs
or
where to meeet other dominicans

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
food - cafe santo domingo on weston road

clubs - there is 1 close to cafe santo domingo...its called la rumba (jane & wilson) and they have latin night with salsa, merengue and bachata

there are now lots of couples that have been approved for visas and are in toronto/mississauga or about to be....hopefully they will connect with you!

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
thanks sangria
hopefully someone will connect
we met one couple that lived in barrie
but they are now getting a divorce sad news

they have only beeen married one year

todiscover

May 17, 2007
Hi Vintage,
On the Curve in Mississauga is full of Dominican's on Wednesday night.
They play really good "dominican" type music too. Focusing on the recent stuff you hear in the DR as well.
Wednesday is their only latin night, and ppl from all over the GTA come down for it. No cover for ladies, and $3 coronas all night long.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I moved it to the "Dominicans abroad" forum because this is the place you'll find postings of Dominican concerts, happenings etc.

I heard last night in chat that we have many Dominicans in the Kitchener area so maybe we should get together there soon.

Johana

May 24, 2006
Vintage,

there is a baseball league - but they've had some problems with the fields and last I heard they were playing somewhere near Canada's Wonderland.

There is a group that play volleyball and basketball on Sunday's at a Community Centre near Jane and Sheppard (??). If your husband is interested I could get the exact directions. They play volleyball from about noon -3 and then basketball after that.

For clubs there is also Latin Fever - which can be hit or miss. As mentioned above On The Curve on Wednesday nights. My husband and his friend love the music they play.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Todiscover,
Is On the Curve at the same location as West 50, close to Square One??

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
There is a little bar on the southeast corner of Dufferin and Lawrence (Toronto) called The Caribbean Pearl. The guys refer to it as ?Acala? because that is the owner?s name. It?s a hole in the wall really and more like a little social club. The clientele is almost 100% Dominican and mostly men so it?s not somewhere you would want to go together but he will surely meet lots of Dominicans and they play dominos in the back. There are a handful of women there sometimes but I?ve gone before and was bored out of my mind. The Dominican women that go there generally don?t speak to the Canadian women, which is fine with me because they are not my type anyway. Just trying to warn you that you might feel uncomfortable and really bored if you do decide to go!

There is also a plaza called Plaza Latina that is on Milvan Drive. Milvan runs north off Finch Avenue between Jane Street and Weston Road and the plaza is literally about a block in off Finch on your right-hand side. There is a Dominican barber shop inside and some other Dominican vendors and food and he will also meet lots of Dominicans there. Again, not much for you there but there are a few shops that sell music and videos in Spanish and a little grocery store. The food court at the back is a good place to go on the weekend for lunch.

Latin Fever can be a hit and miss (as mentioned) but usually it?s good on Saturdays. It is on the north-east corner of Hwy. 7 and Keele Street in Concord. Easy to get to from Hwy. 400. There is also a club in Mississauga called Fregata and it is located at 1900 Dundas Street East. I think the good night there for meeting other Dominicans is Thursday. I have not been to Rumba Nightclub yet (at Jane and Wilson) but I know when it used to be Magnate, my husband and I stopped going there because there were fights often and we did not feel safe. There was also a shooting once so just have your wits about you if you decide to go.

For Dominican food, go to the Dominican Restaurant (as mentioned) on Weston Road, just west of it?s intersection with Jane Street. You can also order Aunt Clara?s Dominican Cookbook (which you can order on DR1 somewhere I think), which I did, and cook for your hubby at home. If you enjoying cooking, the recipes are easy to follow and after a few tries you?ll be getting rave reviews. I have never had a problem finding any of the ingredients in Toronto. No Frills grocery stores and Chinese grocery stores seem to have the best variety of what Dominicans eat in terms of vegetables and seasonings. There are some other specialty Latino stores in and around Toronto and we?ve also found stuff at the Kensington market downtown.
The baseball league is now playing at a park near the intersection of Major Mackenzie and Islington, which is in Vaughan I think? I don?t know when they play but I think it?s on Sunday afternoon but someone else might be able to help you with the time and day.

Once you meet a few Dominicans, you?ll be meeting them left, right and centre because they just seem to find each other and once they know who your husband is, they?ll be calling all the time.

Not that you mentioned this but as for worrying about your husband meeting the ?wrong type? of Dominicans, I would not worry. In my opinion and with my experience with my husband, they are either like that or they are not. Meeting a few guys from back home to pass the time is not going to turn them into a ?cheating, go out every night? kind of guy unless they are already like that. It?s better to not try and control them and tell them not to be going here or there because I have seen it cause problems in so many relationships and like I said, you should already know if your guy is like that. That?s not to say that if he?s doing something to annoy you that you should not mention it but I just see a lot of guys that have stopped carrying a cell phone, etc. because their wives call like every 30 minutes to see where they are and what they are doing. I hope you don?t mind this bit of unsolicited advice but Dominicans are stubborn and macho and they don?t like being told what to do.

That?s all I can think of for now. Good luck and if I think of anything else, I'll add it.

Reactions: AnnaC

sherri

Jan 25, 2006
Dominicans are stubborn and macho and they don’t like being told what to do

You hit the nail on the head! I lucked out since my mother in law wears the pant he's acustom to being told....hahahaha!

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Just to add to my earlier post, someone PM'd me to discuss the area around Plaza Latina on Milvan and the fact that it's not all that safe. I wanted to add that because it's true that it's not the best area and there have been problems there in the past with guns, etc. Also, it's only a hop, skip and a jump from Jane/Finch, which is one of the worst areas in Toronto. That being said, I've warned my husband of that in the past but he still goes. He likes to see the guys and he gets his hair cut there. You should be warning your husband of the areas of Toronto that are not safe at night or otherwise because they think they are street smart because they were in the DR and they have no idea of what things are like here and they could really land themselves in a bad place without even realizing it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yep it has been proven more than once that bullets will hit people that were not the intended target. The Jane and Finch area is dangerous at night but I have been there a few times in the day time and felt perfectly safe.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
You nailed it!

Once you meet a few Dominicans said:
Too funny - but too right!!!

We are in Edmonton and I didn't think there was any other Dominicanos here, now they are everywhere!! LOL Going to the ball game tonight with quite a few of them.

no1devilsfan

Jan 21, 2007
Dominican Restaurant

Someone in here mentioned the plaza on Milvan Dr in Toronto - there is now a FABULOUS Dominican restaraunt in there....

As for La Rumba - I have been there once.... I found the music horrible (and I like just about everything), and I really felt uncomfortable - almost like my life was at risk just by being there... Security pats you down before you walk in the door (and there is a metal detector that you need to walk through as well). Just doesn't give you that warm fuzzy feeling...

There is a guy that I know from the DR that will be starting up karaoke soon (if you like that kind of thing)... I will post more when I know for sure...

no1devilsfan

Jan 21, 2007
Just to add to my earlier post, someone PM'd me to discuss the area around Plaza Latina on Milvan and the fact that it's not all that safe. I wanted to add that because it's true that it's not the best area and there have been problems there in the past with guns, etc. Also, it's only a hop, skip and a jump from Jane/Finch, which is one of the worst areas in Toronto. That being said, I've warned my husband of that in the past but he still goes. He likes to see the guys and he gets his hair cut there. You should be warning your husband of the areas of Toronto that are not safe at night or otherwise because they think they are street smart because they were in the DR and they have no idea of what things are like here and they could really land themselves in a bad place without even realizing it.

Been to Jane/Eglinton or Keele/Lawrence lately? BY FAR worse than Jane and Finch these days...

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
where can i get a phone number in dominican
i have more to tell you soon im just trying to locate a person in santo domingo
is there a directory
i just found out while i was ating my husband had another girlfriend in the santo domingo area
i want to contact her to see when the relationship ended
im almost positive it was until he came here
i feel it in my gut
i found out by looking at western union records
needless to say
i wont rest till i find out
theres trouble in paradise and i am ****eddddddddddddddddd

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
i will get back to my private emails soon
sorry anna i know this is not the correct area for this
thanks for the info on the places to go

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I knew about the Latin Night at on the Curve on Wednesday's, but I've never been and it so close to me, I'll definitely check it out one of these days.

Also Fregata on Dundas in Mississauga used to have Latin Night on Tuesdays.

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Been to Jane/Eglinton or Keele/Lawrence lately? BY FAR worse than Jane and Finch these days...

I don't frequent any of those areas regularly for the reason of safety but I'm sure it's quite possible the areas you mention are worse. I only said Jane/Finch was ONE of the worst. Unfortunately, a lot of neighbourhoods where latin clubs are, are not in the best areas.

todiscover

May 17, 2007
I knew about the Latin Night at on the Curve on Wednesday's, but I've never been and it so close to me, I'll definitely check it out one of these days.

Also Fregata on Dundas in Mississauga used to have Latin Night on Tuesdays.

Fregata Latin Nights are on thursday.
Havent gone in over two years. It used to be great, however, i can confirm that all the dominicans that i know used to go to Fregata now do go to On the Curve on Wednesdays :)