Aquaculture in th DR #2

oceandiver

Jun 8, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm taking a trip to the DR at the end of August for recreation and hopefully for business. Does anybody raise shrimp/fish or know where some of these farms are located that I might be able to visit?

As for me? I'm a graduate student studying aquaculture and its my dream to live in the DR and make a decent living raising fish. For my thesis I can possibly intern at an aquaculture facility dependent on if I set it up correctly.

So please if anybody can tell me about the market for farmed fish/shrimp in the Dominican Republic, good choices of fish to raise, and any farms that they know of please help me out!!

Thanks Everyone!

-OD

Nov 25, 2008
25 years ago a friend of mine had one in La Vega raising shrimp, I don't know anyone now but I'm sure someone out their is doing business
good luck

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There is a large commercial shrimp farm near Barahona.

hjvkm

Oct 8, 2002
Shrimp/Fish Farm

Hi,
I have 21 acers with 14 3,500 meters of pools. Room for 4 more. And a house on the site. It is inactive at this time . I was in a motor cycle accdiente.
But when was up and running i would sell at least 1,00.00 lbs. a month to local people who own restraunts and distributers. Without any advertizment.
Granted the farm needs to be cleaned up a bit. But the farm is a money maker!
It is located in Copito. Near Nagua.
Thank you Howard.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
There used to be a Restaurant on the road that goes up the hill beside the Police Station in Sosua that was owned by a man whose name was Antonio I believe (do not remember his last name). It was a fish restaurant (fabulous food with organic herbs and vegetables growing out back), and he had fish tanks full of shrimp and other sea food. The shrimp came from a shrimp farm he owned and operated and I believe it was located somewhere up the Moca Road.

He was always trying to sell the shrimp farm and showed anyone who would show an interest the very detailed sales brochure he had put together. I have no idea if he ever did sell it but I do know the restaurant closed down probably around 2002 or so.

Maybe some of the Expats that have lived in Sosua a long time will remember the restaurant and the man who owned it and post his name and contact info (if he is still around) here for the OP to follow up.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I know that in Cotui there's a fish farm close to or right in the Hatillo Dam. Not sure who runs it, but heard in town about being Japanese or Chinese people who own it.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Howard, is there a Dominican Association of shrimp farmers, which might be a good source of information and contacts with telephone numbers available to the public?? Or a website?