My unsuccesful sankie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millesa

Jun 22, 2009
First of all, I want to thank you all for the information on sankies and what they do. Prior to my holiday I stumbled upon this website and learned about the lovely creatures that are the sankies ;) Had never heard of them before, so thanks for that.

I just got back from a holiday in Puerto Plata with a friend, and on our first day I was approached by a local who worked on a boat. After chatting to him for a while I agreed to go for a few drinks with him that night, so he quickly found a date for my friend as well. We actually had a fun time, and the 2 guys paid for all the drinks. We met up with them a couple of times over the next few days, but never hooked up with them, even though they did try and fed us all the stupid sankie lines.
One evening my sankie seemed really depressed, so when I asked him what was wrong he told me that his dad had lost his job because he needed surgery on his leg, and his family couldn't afford the operation, and because his dad had lost his job they also couldn't afford to send his younger sister and brother to school. Now, I don't know if these exact excuses were ever mentioned on this site, but I thought it had sankie written all over it. He then asked me if I could spare some money to help them out. I said I couldn't take out any more money on my credit card that day, but would do so the next day, so we arranged to meet in town then next day, only to discover that I'd forgotten my credit card at the hotel and couldn't go back to get it as I had booked an excursion that afternoon. I told him I would bring the money the next day, but ooops, that was the day we went back home, so I never saw or spoke to him again :)
I did feel a little sorry for him, and I also felt slightly mean, but I constantly reminded myself that this is what they do and it's all a big scam.

It might sound stupid but we had a good time with the guys and got to see a bit of the city which we may not have otherwise. We just thought that the more time they spent with us, the less time they would spend scamming other people.

So thanks to you all for the information. It has been extremely useful. I don't think I would've fallen for the cheesy lines anyway, but you never know, and this way my sankie never had a chance ;)

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
First of all, I want to thank you all for the information on sankies and what they do. Prior to my holiday I stumbled upon this website and learned about the lovely creatures that are the sankies ;) Had never heard of them before, so thanks for that.

I just got back from a holiday in Puerto Plata with a friend, and on our first day I was approached by a local who worked on a boat. After chatting to him for a while I agreed to go for a few drinks with him that night, so he quickly found a date for my friend as well. We actually had a fun time, and the 2 guys paid for all the drinks. We met up with them a couple of times over the next few days, but never hooked up with them, even though they did try and fed us all the stupid sankie lines.
One evening my sankie seemed really depressed, so when I asked him what was wrong he told me that his dad had lost his job because he needed surgery on his leg, and his family couldn't afford the operation, and because his dad had lost his job they also couldn't afford to send his younger sister and brother to school. Now, I don't know if these exact excuses were ever mentioned on this site, but I thought it had sankie written all over it. He then asked me if I could spare some money to help them out. I said I couldn't take out any more money on my credit card that day, but would do so the next day, so we arranged to meet in town then next day, only to discover that I'd forgotten my credit card at the hotel and couldn't go back to get it as I had booked an excursion that afternoon. I told him I would bring the money the next day, but ooops, that was the day we went back home, so I never saw or spoke to him again :)
I did feel a little sorry for him, and I also felt slightly mean, but I constantly reminded myself that this is what they do and it's all a big scam.

It might sound stupid but we had a good time with the guys and got to see a bit of the city which we may not have otherwise. We just thought that the more time they spent with us, the less time they would spend scamming other people.

So thanks to you all for the information. It has been extremely useful. I don't think I would've fallen for the cheesy lines anyway, but you never know, and this way my sankie never had a chance ;)
:ermm: really?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
This could start a whole new trend! Great job!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Some facts, his younger brother and sister do not have to pay to go to public school, it's free except for the uniforms and there are charities that will provide for those that can't afford them.

The scariest part of your story is that you were going to meet this guy ( who is a stranger) with credit card in hand. Higher powers were looking out for you that day.

So back home there are a lot of street people that can't feed themselves would you take them to the bank while holding a credit card in hand?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
The scariest part of your story is that you were going to meet this guy ( who is a stranger) with credit card in hand. Higher powers were looking out for you that day.

So back home there are a lot of street people that can't feed themselves would you take them to the bank while holding a credit card in hand?

Me thinks you missed her point, Anna.... she told him she'd show up with the credit card, but "oops" forgot it once & "oops" forgot she scheduled the next date with him after she'd already left the country.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Me thinks you missed her point, Anna.... she told him she'd show up with the credit card, but "oops" forgot it once & "oops" forgot she scheduled the next date with him after she'd already left the country.

Oops, the picture of anyone showing up with credit card in hand was so scary I missed the rest.

Thanks.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Vigilante Sankie Protection? HA

So how are you any better than them? You are just perpetuating the problem by pretending to fall for the lines and promising your money to them. You just made female tourists look stupid and I doubt he caught on that you were scamming him.

Thanks soooo much for "protecting" all the other vulnerable women on holiday...what would they have done without you?

I wouldnt call you a hero....more likely i would call you someone who put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation....what if he had caught on that you were scamming him and got angry and then violent? Im sure it wouldnt be a game then....definitely sounds stupid to me.

Millesa

Jun 22, 2009
I wouldnt call you a hero....more likely i would call you someone who put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation....what if he had caught on that you were scamming him and got angry and then violent? Im sure it wouldnt be a game then....definitely sounds stupid to me.

Oh, I never thought I was a hero - it was just a bit of fun. I always met him in public and never alone, so I didn't think there was any danger.
No harm was done - to me it was pretty harmless!!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Oh, I never thought I was a hero - it was just a bit of fun. I always met him in public and never alone, so I didn't think there was any danger.
No harm was done - to me it was pretty harmless!!

I think what Sangria is trying to point out is that it's dangerous to be playing games with these guys. If you want to go have a bit of fun that's fine but don't be playing games. Say no to money requests, do not lead them on as it can be dangerous and that's the part you are not seeing.

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
thats exactly the point anna!

people dont see the danger until its too late...

Millessa....try reading the "sankies" page on facebook

you can read about a woman who was attacked by a sankie for not giving him what he wanted

MarkusL1

May 3, 2004
Reverse-Sankies

What the girls did is Reverse-Sanki-Panki. They used the bois to buy them drinks, have a free tour guide and etc etc. And now they feel all smart.
Of course I don't think it's right when Dominicans taking advantage of tourists but it's also not right to take advantage of them. So the Reverse-Sanki thing is not right.
Sankies doing it because they try to live and survive in a third world country -what's the tourist girls excuse?

B

BettyDiamond

did you enjoy the countryside and weather or were you too busy

murilka

Nov 6, 2008
What the girls did is Reverse-Sanki-Panki. They used the bois to buy them drinks, have a free tour guide and etc etc. And now they feel all smart.
Of course I don't think it's right when Dominicans taking advantage of tourists but it's also not right to take advantage of them. So the Reverse-Sanki thing is not right.
Sankies doing it because they try to live and survive in a third world country -what's the tourist girls excuse?

Well, what you call reverse-sanki-panki, the rest of the world is calling a "courtship".

it may be an unfamiliar concept, but generally men take women on dates, pay for drinks, give them free tours, etc. etc. ... the above list of activities is called "dating" and does not qualify for reimbursement :p

onesweetone

Jun 26, 2006
What is the best policy?

Glad to hear you had a good time Millesa and enjoyed the day with the guys. Next time you visit just tell them you will not give them any money.

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
I would of said my sankie panky bank account is closed! there's really a facebook page for sankies? lol!! Wow..

Status
Not open for further replies.