Air Dominicana delayed [again]...

JRodriguez136

Mar 1, 2007
www.geocities.com
Air Dominicana will not begin its much anticipated operations until 01SEP09, [for now that is]. This is 1 month late, as the plan was originally to be 01AUG09. Fares right now are $89 each way. At this point I'd rather pay a little more to fly with JetBlue and know that I will be getting there for sure and have 6 options of nonstop, (from JFK), and various other options of connecting through BOS, MCO, FLL, or SJU...

Source: Air Dominicana website.

Any comments?

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Yeah, they're awaiting FAA approval.
Can't seem to get their feces consolidated.
Any surprises here?

G5ive

May 20, 2009
Can't seem to get their feces consolidated.

Funny, indeed!

On another note, so how the hell is it that the Dominican Republic does not have an airline? Like a million years after Dominicana de aviacion disappeared, they give us "Air Dominicana"?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
More like their planes need to be properly in service before they can get the show moving. The 737 400 is undergoing tests and final adjustment at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam.

The planes need to be registered under the HI lettering for the DR as well.

Here the 737 400:

sxbgs220609.jpg

There was a 737-300 that was initially to be incorporated into the fleet, but was returned to Spain as two 737-400 were selected to be incorporated along an Embraer 145.

Notice the plane is still under another code, when it comes to the DR it will enter into the HI code of the DR. Same for the second 737-400.

G5ive

May 20, 2009
The logo and design could have been better IMO. That logo looks like a fake airline for flight simulator or some software company logo.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The logo and design could have been better IMO. That logo looks like a fake airline for flight simulator or some software company logo.

You're witnessing the future of world language! More and more logos are being simplified, to express in the minimum possible allotted space and configuration the actual message behind them.

Look at McDonald's arch, UPS shield like logo and you can just as easy understand that the simpler the better for memory retention.

The design is simple and yet I bet you could identify Air Dominicana's logo from most others, without their names showing along side them!!!

That simulator like logo (as you described) proved to be retained over 90% of time during evaluations conducted. Something most other companies in the industry would love and kill to have as well...

Even the www.airdominicana.com.do pasted on the plane plays an important part in this IT age.

Try and recall Jet Blue's logo???

I find it refreshing in a saturated market with overkill logos all around...

Last edited:

G5ive

May 20, 2009
You're witnessing the future of world language! More and more logos are being simplified, to express in the minimum possible allotted space and configuration the actual message behind them.

Look at McDonald's arch, UPS shield like logo and you can just as easy understand that the simpler the better for memory retention.

The design is simple and yet I bet you could identify Air Dominicana's logo from most others, without their names showing along side them!!!

That simulator like logo (as you described) proved to be retained over 90% of time during evaluations conducted. Something most other companies in the industry would love and kill to have as well...

Even the www.airdominicana.com.do plays an important part in this IT age.

Try and recall Jet Blue's logo???

I find it refreshing in a saturated market with overkill logos all around...

True but even their website doesn't have fleet info, route map, nothing. Just a reservation system, well jetBlue colors a very appealing.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The fleet is an ongoing matter, as for example the operational, maintenance and rental costs associated with the 737-300 made them costlier than the newer and bigger 737-400!!! The company needs to start with the right foot from the start.

You don't want your first maiden flight to plummet out of the sky b/c you rushed to meet a set date! I applaud their firmness to avail the line with the best aircraft available to their operational budget. Having the newly leased 737-400 undergo extensive checkups and tests is the right thing to do, as well as having the Dominican pilots train for the larger planes in preparations is also a plus. No matter how good a pilot is always best to get to know the aircraft as much as possible than later be sorry you didn't.

The site is only partially operational. A fully fledge website will be up and running as the line comes into service. You can't post pictures of a fleet you still don't have parked in the country, or place maps of routes you have no actual service to!

If I clear recall, it took Jet Blue a while before they had the website in operation, even thus they were flying already...

Air Dominicana already keeps a website months ahead of operations! Limited by functional to the basics!

Now, let's give them the time they need to their maiden flight and grand opening for service!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Time will tell if they make it as an airline.

As for the logo PICHARDO, I highly doubt your quote.

That simulator like logo (as you described) proved to be retained over 90% of time during evaluations conducted

I would like to see the real data on that. Are we talking 90% of the people in the office that designed the logo or 10,000 people of their targeted demographic?

Jetblue's logo is their name, easy.

Latino2002

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The fleet is an ongoing matter, as for example the operational, maintenance and rental costs associated with the 737-300 made them costlier than the newer and bigger 737-400!!! The company needs to start with the right foot from the start.

You don't want your first maiden flight to plummet out of the sky b/c you rushed to meet a set date! I applaud their firmness to avail the line with the best aircraft available to their operational budget. Having the newly leased 737-400 undergo extensive checkups and tests is the right thing to do, as well as having the Dominican pilots train for the larger planes in preparations is also a plus. No matter how good a pilot is always best to get to know the aircraft as much as possible than later be sorry you didn't.

The site is only partially operational. A fully fledge website will be up and running as the line comes into service. You can't post pictures of a fleet you still don't have parked in the country, or place maps of routes you have no actual service to!

If I clear recall, it took Jet Blue a while before they had the website in operation, even thus they were flying already...

Air Dominicana already keeps a website months ahead of operations! Limited by functional to the basics!

Now, let's give them the time they need to their maiden flight and grand opening for service!

Pichardo,
I do Agree with you, safety is always # 1 on most major airlines.
and every pilots need a qualification and category to fly any airplane.

But they can have a nice website for the customer and with some explanation why the services is been delay.

As right now, safe money is in everybody budget, Airlines, Supermarkets, etc, etc.
But they really need to maintain the public up to date with the company operations.

I really want to see Air Dominicana in the air, so maybe one day I will see those aircraft's around the world and I can say.....Mira this airline is from my Country...

Buena Suerte air dominicana.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Time will tell if they make it as an airline.

As for the logo PICHARDO, I highly doubt your quote.

I would like to see the real data on that. Are we talking 90% of the people in the office that designed the logo or 10,000 people of their targeted demographic?

Jetblue's logo is their name, easy.

That logo was designed by a major US firm hired to that end. As included for sound biz practices; the logo you see along others too, were tested for their design, looks, etc... More importantly for brand retention with a lab group of subjects.

Air Dominicana had first dibs to the old Dominicana colors and design. They opted for a newer and refreshed look. The only thing retained was the Dominicana.

As far as inside data of what company was hired to bring that logo and related designs for the airliner, have yet to see a company that's candid to release data of that sort while they're still working with other related designs for the line.

I know the company and more than that, the actual other designs to be used in the terminal and material designs of support.
Not mine to put out!

You can just as easy contact their press support and on behalf of DR1, request information to that end. I'm not DR1, so I can't request permission for that data!

I can tell you that the lab tests were with large groups, which were composed by different genders, age and nationalities.

Simple designs are easier to retain than words, ask a Chinese to tell you what airliner they took on their flight by posting the myriad of airline names only, after 1 week from the flight.

Same thing happens to Jet Blue, they opted for a fluid, ever changing backdrop to their name; many clients have a hard time in airport terminals spotting theirs, since anything blue triggers their retained patterns, yet there're many more liners with blue as their colors out there.

STIOP

Jun 11, 2004
Looks nice in my opinion.

I Like the airplane looks very good..

I`m with my man latino2002.... I`m all for our bandera airlines.....

hope they make it.......

regards

STIOP