Magic Jack

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I just got my magic jack and I am so happy...
the best and cheapest way of connection between DR and US ...
thanks guys....

Jan 17, 2009
Agreed. I have mine for over a month, and this thing works just fine. I love that I get emails with my voice mails to listen in my laptop.

Reactions: Lucille

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
AND, to clarify ........

About $1.70 per month.

$19.95 per YEAR - First year is $39.95 because you buy the hardware.

All calls to U.S., Canada and P.R. are free.

......for those that don't know..............

.......free to calling ANOTHER MagicJack number whereever that MagicJack may be..............IE: in the Dominican Republic, Russia, Spain etc............

........and they can call back too........

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I love mine also, crystal clear quality. And once you own the gizmo you can get 5 years for US$60 which is about $12/year.

I call the US and Canada from anywhere, the DR or the States.

But you can't call a DR area code on it - just to be clear.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
magicjack

My understanding is the only drawback is that your computer must be on to make or receive a call. There is suppose to be a hack to allow the magicjack number to be moved to a standard voip device whick allows its connection to a router. However I heard a rumor that this is no longer possible???? Any confirmations on this? I am considering getting a service called OOMA, but have yet to hear any DR1 folks comment on it.

Reactions: Lucille

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
......for those that don't know..............

.......free to calling ANOTHER MagicJack number whereever that MagicJack may be..............IE: in the Dominican Republic, Russia, Spain etc............

........and they can call back too........

Thanks, I have had mine about 1 1/2 years now and wasn't aware of this...

I have found that if you shut down all other programs such as downloads etc. while using MJ it will work flawlessly... :)

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I tried a Puerto Rico telephone number and it didn't work out....Is Puerto Rico excluded?.... Usually, PR is considered part of US....

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I tried a Puerto Rico telephone number and it didn't work out....Is Puerto Rico excluded?.... Usually, PR is considered part of US....

Quote from Radio Shack Advertisement:
Call anywhere in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands (U.S. VI) for no additional charges.

And I have called Puerto Rico, however, today it does not work, just reverts back to a dial tone.

Edited to note:
Landline number rings, but cell phone number in P.R. reverts to dial tone at this time.

Don

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Quote from Radio Shack Advertisement:

And I have called Puerto Rico, however, today it does not work, just reverts back to a dial tone.

Edited to note:
Landline number rings, but cell phone number in P.R. reverts to dial tone at this time.

Don

Thanks.....

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
My Magic Jack worked a few times, now it doesn't. When I call to that # from NY I just get recording about a mailbox being busy or something like that.

Jan 17, 2009
True that you need to leave your computer on, but the voice mail works very well (albeit it may take a little while to get a message). I'm not sure that it works the same with all email clients, but with mine, I get a message with an icon I just click on and hear the message through my laptop speakers. In fact, if it were a land phone, it would be the same for me. I don't stay home all day.

I like the fact that when I travel, like I'm going to South America in October, I can carry it with me. I still have the same US phone number for people to call me and I can call from anywhere in the world as long as I have a Wi-Fi connection.

I hope it lasts and doesn't break down. Too soon to tell. Just have it for little over a month now.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
My Magic Jack worked a few times, now it doesn't. When I call to that # from NY I just get recording about a mailbox being busy or something like that.

Sorry to hear that...I just have it for very litle, but I heard they are very
delicate and easy to break down...I am going to try to take a good care of mine.
good luck...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I've got skype, and no complaints, other than the folks from Ghana that want me to add them to my contacts.

And skype doesn't cost anything.

But!

Are you calling telephones or just doing Skype-to-Skype???????

There is quite a difference as surely you must know.

Don

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I had one, and used it with OneMax, the quality of the calls werent very good. People told me sounded like a robot. I will now have Tricom set up, not sure what speed. Would this make it better? And I bought it just under a year ago, i think it expires after a year, what do i do then, just go to the website and upgrade? Anyone know how much it costs?

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I had one, and used it with OneMax, the quality of the calls werent very good. People told me sounded like a robot. I will now have Tricom set up, not sure what speed. Would this make it better? And I bought it just under a year ago, i think it expires after a year, what do i do then, just go to the website and upgrade? Anyone know how much it costs?

magicJack