U.S. Citizen and Applying for Residency in D.R.

J NewBeginning

Dec 23, 2008
I am a U.S. citizen planning to arrive in D.R. using the tourist card visa obtained at D.R. airport upon entry into D.R.

I will then apply for my temporary and then permanent residency. I assume I need to do this before my tourist card expires, so within 60-90 days of initial arrival, is that right?

I found the following information regarding the Residence Visa on the "Embassy of the Dominican Republic in the United States Website" (Embassy of the Dominican Republic, in the United States)

Residence Visa

"The residence visa is the first step to obtain the residence card in the Dominican Republic. This visa can be obtained in approximately three months. The Ministry of Foreign Relations recommends that the process begin prior to the person arriving in the DR, although it can also be carried out once the person is in the country."

In what case is it to my advantage to apply for the Residency Visa while still in the U.S., before I arrive in D.R.?

The D.R. Embassy website also mentions the following, among other things, that need to be submitted for a residence visa.

1) Certificate of Good Conduct issued in the jurisdiction of origin. If the beneficiary has been more than three months in the Dominican Republic, it needs to be issued by the competent local judicial authority.

Is this certificate of good conduct obtained in the D.R., or should I get it in the U.S.?

2) Medical Health Certificate. Issued in the jurisdiction of origin. If the applicant has been living more than three months in the Dominican Republic, a recent medical certificate should be presented, legalized by the Ministry of Public Health (SESPAS).

Can I get the medical exam done in the U.S., before I arrive? Or is it better to complete this in the D.R.?

Thank you for your help.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
no

I am a U.S. citizen planning to arrive in D.R. using the tourist card visa obtained at D.R. airport upon entry into D.R.

I will then apply for my temporary and then permanent residency. I assume I need to do this before my tourist card expires, so within 60-90 days of initial arrival, is that right?

I found the following information regarding the Residence Visa on the "Embassy of the Dominican Republic in the United States Website" (Embassy of the Dominican Republic, in the United States)

Residence Visa

"The residence visa is the first step to obtain the residence card in the Dominican Republic. This visa can be obtained in approximately three months. The Ministry of Foreign Relations recommends that the process begin prior to the person arriving in the DR, although it can also be carried out once the person is in the country."

In what case is it to my advantage to apply for the Residency Visa while still in the U.S., before I arrive in D.R.?

The D.R. Embassy website also mentions the following, among other things, that need to be submitted for a residence visa.

1) Certificate of Good Conduct issued in the jurisdiction of origin. If the beneficiary has been more than three months in the Dominican Republic, it needs to be issued by the competent local judicial authority.

Is this certificate of good conduct obtained in the D.R., or should I get it in the U.S.?

2) Medical Health Certificate. Issued in the jurisdiction of origin. If the applicant has been living more than three months in the Dominican Republic, a recent medical certificate should be presented, legalized by the Ministry of Public Health (SESPAS).

Can I get the medical exam done in the U.S., before I arrive? Or is it better to complete this in the D.R.?

Thank you for your help.

the medical exam must be done here by the government's doctors.

also, you do not actually need to get the residencia right away... many of us overstay our visas and pay a fine. Depends if you will be looking for work... and, of course, things are getting more strict.... but you should not be too concerned over this.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
There's a ton of info about this and many other subjects you are or will be interested in here. Familiarize yourself with the "Search" function on the bar across the top of the page, find out all you can and then post your questions about anything you cannot find.

Good luck, it can be a very self-rewarding exercise.

Gregg

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

*** right, youn have to do that before your immigrations status is 'illegal', so before your tourist card expires***

Residence Visa

*** if you apply for residency prior to arrival in the DR you do not need to enter the DR with a valid return ticket, otherwise a missing valid return ticket would mean a 'illegal immigrations status'***

*** if you do the process from home prior to arrival here the certificate is the one issued in the country of origin/US, if you apply for residency afterwards you need that one issued here in the country***

*** exactly the same than for the 'good conduct' paper above, btw it is written really clear on the website you quoted***

Thank you for your help.

till today i would not have heard about any application for which the good contact and the med exam papers anyways have not been asked to be done here finally.
to be corrected, even that the 'requisitas' say different.

overstaying you visitors visa here can basically resolved like Annie wrote, but do not drive a car aso down here after your immigrations status went to 'illegal'.
good luck
Mike

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Was the quoted price on the website all inclusive for your temporary documents?

I am using the services that I found on this web site:

Dominican Republic Residency

I am very happy with this service. I will be going to the D.R. at the end of the year to get my permanent cedula.

What I like about the above service is that the person behind this web site has been to the D.R. a couple of times to scout out the best and least expensive lawyers to get the job done.

DaveJohnson

Sep 30, 2008
For the temporary cedula it is only $1,000 and I believe that is the current price. But James does charge an introduction fee to introduce people to the lawyers since the lawyers do not pay him but he does include other things in the package to help people set up an internet business and also he includes in the package a free list of investments that help people to have a passive income if they move to the D.R. and have money sitting around in a bank account that is losing value or is getting a small return.

DaveJohnson

Sep 30, 2008
No, $1,000 included everything. He also shows you the best places to stay in the D.R. while you are there to save money.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I am using the services that I found on this web site:

I am very happy with this service. I will be going to the D.R. at the end of the year to get my permanent cedula.

What I like about the above service is that the person behind this web site has been to the D.R. a couple of times to scout out the best and least expensive lawyers to get the job done.

For the temporary cedula it is only $1,000 and I believe that is the current price. But James does charge an introduction fee to introduce people to the lawyers since the lawyers do not pay him but he does include other things in the package to help people set up an internet business and also he includes in the package a free list of investments that help people to have a passive income if they move to the D.R. and have money sitting around in a bank account that is losing value or is getting a small return.

No, $1,000 included everything. He also shows you the best places to stay in the D.R. while you are there to save money.

$1.000.- plus a introduction fee,
so how much is that introduction fee?
b/c we are talking about the usual top lawyer rate for temporary or permanent residence, both the same procedures, both for the same costs.

you mentioned in 2 posts that you get your 'cedula',
but sure you meant you get at the same time your temporary cedula AND your temporary residency, right?

because they get usually issued at the same day,
and a simple cedula alone would not have any value in case of immigrations status,
that's the residency card, not the cedula.

you recommend their services,
but from my understanding you are now just in the process/contact, or did you receive documents throu the company's services recommended above?

and welcome to our lovely Isle
Mike

Last edited by a moderator: