Anyone know of any bars for sale?

lins150

May 13, 2009
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knows of any bars for sale in the Cabarete, Sosua, Sabaneta area. Maybe private sales? Specifially some that wouldn't be listed through real estate agents. My boyfriend and I are dealing with a couple real estate agents at the moment but are looking for the properties that the public doesn't know about....if there is any. If anyone knows of any can you please PM me?

The reason i'm asking is that we're thinking of relocating to either of the above places next year from Canada. My boyfriend has lived in the DR for 3 years about 4 years ago opening bars and clubs for people and now we're ready to go back and open our own. It's always been his dream to open his own bar in the DR so we're now looking for the right place!

Thanks for you help! I hope there are some listings out there!

:)

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knows of any bars for sale in the Cabarete, Sosua, Sabaneta area. Maybe private sales? Specifially some that wouldn't be listed through real estate agents. My boyfriend and I are dealing with a couple real estate agents at the moment but are looking for the properties that the public doesn't know about....if there is any. If anyone knows of any can you please PM me?

The reason i'm asking is that we're thinking of relocating to either of the above places next year from Canada. My boyfriend has lived in the DR for 3 years about 4 years ago opening bars and clubs for people and now we're ready to go back and open our own. It's always been his dream to open his own bar in the DR so we're now looking for the right place!

Thanks for you help! I hope there are some listings out there!

:)

Talk to Willy. He needs a partner/manager to open a night club in Cabarete. Under Willy`s big wing your fboy will be save and happy!!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Casa Manana Bar is for sale in Sosua for only 500k US. How could anyone resist?

Hmmmm, at that price it might not have a proper drinks licence, or Titular, or stock, or still have a mortgage hanging on it! Maybe the owner knows that his creditors will be coming round shortly & wants to sell up beforehand so that the NEW owner has to pay them?
Just joking here Mr/Ms. owner of Casa Ma?ana Bar to make some of the points as to what lins150 & B/friend will have to watch out for when making the (ill advised) purchase!! ;) :cheeky: :ermm: ~ Grahame.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Hmmmm, at that price it might not have a proper drinks licence, or Titular, or stock, or still have a mortgage hanging on it! Maybe the owner knows that his creditors will be coming round shortly & wants to sell up beforehand so that the NEW owner has to pay them?
Just joking here Mr/Ms. owner of Casa Ma?ana Bar to make some of the points as to what lins150 & B/friend will have to watch out for when making the (ill advised) purchase!! ;) :cheeky: :ermm: ~ Grahame.
You're speaking hypothetically of course:paranoid::paranoid:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Every bar is for sale in Sosua and Cabarete!

I was just going to post the same. Good thing I read thru the whole thread for once.
Really, one could expand this quote with, everyTHING / everyBODY is for sale (or rent). :cheeky:

I would NOT know too many establishments which seem so profitable that they would be appealing take over targets.
Most bar sales, btw, do NOT include the real estate and are merely "business" sales with questionable rental contracts being pushed over the table on properties which are quite often in a questionable legal situation, ranging from legally non-existent (too close to the sea) to unclear ownership (title discrepancy between the land and the object).

Most places which do some sizable business depend much on the original owner's name, image and experience and also on the front line employees, two ingredients of a business scheme which can not really be secured in such a transaction.

I always advise prospect bar owners to try their hand first at something light without committing too much money, like renting a kiosk bar at Puerto Plata's downtown Malecon (beach avenue) new little buildings for 3000 to 6000 Pesos per month. There are little formalities, the spots are small and easy to re-format we a new idea to test drive.
If you feel disenchanted with results, all you will have lost is some time and little money for you life here, but NO large principal amount stuck into something which turns out not as easy to sell as it was to buy it.

But that was not the OP's question... so back to Tambo's answer:
Every bar is for sale in Sosua and Cabarete!

... J-D.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Just a quick note to folks thinking of coming to the DR and starting or buying any business:

While the seemingly lax environment makes one think the business climate here is easy, laid-back and comfortable, nothing could be further from the truth.

The DR is generally a very difficult, low margin business environment.

If you have never owned and run a successful enterprise in the States, Canada or Europe (which makes up 90% of DR tourists IMO), don't even ~think~ about doing so here until:

1) You've lived here for a year

2) You've worked inside the type of business you contemplate opening here

3) You have assembled competent legal and accounting team

~and~

4) You have 1 year operating and living expenses in readily available cash when you start.

Your net worth will thank me later.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Just a quick note to folks thinking of coming to the DR and starting or buying any business:

While the seemingly lax environment makes one think the business climate here is easy, laid-back and comfortable, nothing could be further from the truth.

The DR is generally a very difficult, low margin business environment.

If you have never owned and run a successful enterprise in the States, Canada or Europe (which makes up 90% of DR tourists IMO), don't even ~think~ about doing so here until:

1) You've lived here for a year

2) You've worked inside the type of business you contemplate opening here

3) You have assembled competent legal and accounting team

~and~

4) You have 1 year operating and living expenses in readily available cash when you start.

Your net worth will thank me later.

Read an copy this 100 times!

... J-D.

lins150

May 13, 2009
Thanks for all the input! You have been very helpful with your suggestions.

RE Cobraboy:
1) my boyfriend lived there for 3 years
2) He use to open and run bars for people in and around the DR
3) we're working on that
4) wouldn't do it without!

Sounds like you know what you're talking about...and that we're on the right track :)

Thanks!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004

RE Cobraboy:
1) my boyfriend lived there for 3 years
2) He use to open and run bars for people in and around the DR
3) we're working on that
4) wouldn't do it without!

I am not cobraboy so maybe I should abstain... but I hope you will not join the list of those who've come back here telling about the "my boy/girl friend, my money, his/her bar & being left only with a new experience... no more money, no boy/girlfriend and no bar". In other words if you two do it based on your boyfriend's "experience", let him do it with his money too, after all, if he is/was successful at setting up (and selling?) bars... he must have money(?).

And then, if he used to set up bars ("open and run bars") successfully why would you two now contemplate buying one at a premium?

I know, my posts here may sound like I'd be a little "on your case all over" but if you'd read this forum for a couple of years, you'd understand why.

Good luck! ... J-D.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not knowing Spanish would also be an obstacle for anyone trying to do business in the DR, even if the target market is not Spanish-speaking.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Any bar that has those sickening paintings you see everywhere hanging all over it is REALLY for sale.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I am not cobraboy so maybe I should abstain... but I hope you will not join the list of those who've come back here telling about the "my boy/girl friend, my money, his/her bar & being left only with a new experience... no more money, no boy/girlfriend and no bar". In other words if you two do it based on your boyfriend's "experience", let him do it with his money too, after all, if he is/was successful at setting up (and selling?) bars... he must have money(?).

And then, if he used to set up bars ("open and run bars") successfully why would you two now contemplate buying one at a premium?

I know, my posts here may sound like I'd be a little "on your case all over" but if you'd read this forum for a couple of years, you'd understand why.

Good luck! ... J-D.
What ^^^he^^^ said.