First Impressions

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
My brother, his wife and my nephew just returned from thier first vacation to Punta Cana. The following is how they described thier experience:
They found it strange to get off the plane from the steps.
My nephew (age 15) found the "Big ass fans" at the PC airport hilarious.
The line for the busses were long and confusing for them to find the right one.
They went to the Melia Caribe Tropical in PC. They were in the preferred section and said that to avoid a LONG line at check in made the extra costs worth it.
They found the resort huge and absolutely beautiful. There were parts of the resort that they never explored.
They thought that the customer service was excellent even though most employees spoke NO English. (I was surprised by both of these statements)
They loved the food choices and availablity even though all of them got sick. Too much different food, drink and sun?
They were impressed with the stunning grounds and how hard the groundskeepers worked. Actually, they were impressed at how hard ALL the employees worked.
My nephew was surprised to find how many types of pot smoking pipes were being sold in the stores. This totally shocked me! He also said that it was not talked about at the resort and that nobody asked him if he wanted to buy any pot. Thank God for that! He does not drink or smoke yet.
The family was there for much needed R&R after a very rough year and all they wanted to do was sit on the beach or in the pool bar and totally relax. It was everything that they needed.
When I asked them when they were going back they said probrably no time soon because it was too expensive for a family to make repeat trips. I agree they paid too much.
My nephew would like to go back, let's see if he says the same when he is paying. LOL He normally is a shy kid so I was glad that he had a great time. He said the Dominican people were so warm and friendly that it showed him a positive side of people which he had not experienced before.
So.. all in all they loved the first time in PC.

PuntaCanalove

Apr 11, 2009
Im surprised they would find it expensive. Punta Cana offers the best value of any place in the world. In March I went to Altantis with 3 children. You want expensive, try there. I just got back from PC yesterday and it is paradise. This is my 3 trip there so far this year. All in all, glad they had a great experience.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
They did price comparisons and the DR was the cheapest. But... in this economy it was expensive for a three person family. If they had the $$$ they would go in a heartbeat.
My brother and I did comparisons too.Wen I first started going to
A1's in the DR I typically paid $499 including the flight. I traveled alone.
They paid $1700 per person x 3. That is a big difference! I can not afford to travel there now either. Neither of us can afford to travel anywhere really. I have not been to the DR for 6 years now. AWWWW
I used to live there so I don't have to tell you how much I miss it.